We need to talk about Sir Douglas Imrie - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

We need to talk about Sir Douglas Imrie

Jamie_M

Some man. We've been quite unfortunate that the teams around us in the league have all picked up more points than expected during this glorious run of ours, especially considering there was such a drastic split in the top/bottom halves of the league for the first half of the season. 

Must have been a long time since we've had a manager win back to back MOTM awards. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, port-ton said:

Some man. We've been quite unfortunate that the teams around us in the league have all picked up more points than expected during this glorious run of ours, especially considering there was such a drastic split in the top/bottom halves of the league for the first half of the season. 

Must have been a long time since we've had a manager win back to back MOTM awards. 

McInally in August and September 2006. Moore did win two in 12/13, but not consecutively. As far as I can see Moore was the only one to get two in the second tier full stop.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

18 hours ago, port-ton said:

Sort of related to this, but just thinking…

Dougie has been here just over 2 months, has won 2 MOTM awards in that time and developed a very real mutual connection between himself and the fans.

Obviously that’s quite unusual as it is, but down Cappielow way it’s akin to a miracle these days, when you think about the last handful of gaffers …by this stage there’s already been significant alarm bells ringing about whoever is in charge, or they’ll already have fucked off to Falkirk.

Its a funny old place. 

AWMSC

• 2 months later...

Would you say that the sweetie women who generated those rumours should be chained to the fountain at Clyde Square and egged like a Thatcher statue?

image.png

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

17 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Would you say that the sweetie women who generated those rumours should be chained to the fountain at Clyde Square and egged like a Thatcher statue?

image.png

Absolutely. I wouldn’t be hurling eggs though. My weapon of choice would be something browner and more pungent.

Anyone have a breakdown of Dougies interview in the telegraph?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

17 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Anyone have a breakdown of Dougies interview in the telegraph?

Still waiting on Muirhead, Blues,Wilson, Strapp and Hamilton to get back to him having been made offers.

McLean and Ugwu still in discussion with the club.

He's one or two others in the pipeline and is delighted to have secured Baird.

While he doesn't put a time scale on things he recognises the club need to move things forward and thinks that the Club are "in a good place to attract players", but understands it's down to what he can offer.

As often with the Tele's marketing the substance doesn't really fit the billing. Dismisses all talk as standard football rumours and is fully committed to the task at hand, but the quote:

"I am here to do a job at Morton and loving every minute of it, so I will continue to do my job here until other things change, but at the moment it is all rumours as far as I'm concerned"

is hardly a thumping long-term commitment.

Imrie doesn't actually need to give this commitment though - the club hasn't given him a long-term commitment either in the form of a contract extension - so we can't have it both ways. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

7 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

As often with the Tele's marketing the substance doesn't really fit the billing. Dismisses all talk as standard football rumours and is fully committed to the task at hand, but the quote:

"I am here to do a job at Morton and loving every minute of it, so I will continue to do my job here until other things change, but at the moment it is all rumours as far as I'm concerned"

is hardly a thumping long-term commitment.

Imrie doesn't actually need to give this commitment though - the club hasn't given him a long-term commitment either in the form of a contract extension - so we can't have it both ways. 

This is a very good point. Much ado about nothing there. I'd have been devastated if he left/leaves however if its to another club with a better budget then who can really blame him. Unfortunately we are at the bottom end of the budgetary scale in full-time football and money talks.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

2 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

This is a very good point. Much ado about nothing there. I'd have been devastated if he left/leaves however if its to another club with a better budget then who can really blame him. Unfortunately we are at the bottom end of the budgetary scale in full-time football and money talks.

Never mind the club's budget for players, he'll be concerned with his own salary as manager. Daft Raymond left for that very reason albeit in a snakey, underhanded way. If we have a strong start to next season the club should be offering what he deserves and get that contract extended asap.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

If the club wants a long-term commitment from Imrie then we have to make the first move. Slap down a four year extension on the table and - here's the important part - we then stick to that five year plan no matter what. No TTG for the management team at least; even if we drop down a level, we back Imrie to build the club up again. 

We've been through more managers since 2000 then any SPFL club apart from Livingston. Some of them should of course have gone a hell of a lot sooner (see McInally, J.). But it didn't bring overall success to the club under GC and it certainly won't at the moment. If we believe that Imrie is the best candidate we can expect - and I think that we should take that bet - then we should back that up. Any inexperienced manager will make mistakes and there will be bumps along the road - but we should give that security that he's not going to be following so many others out the door. 

Giving Imrie that security will also give the players that he's targeting the choice of engaging in a genuine long-term project; rather than being the temporary choice for some spare prick who'll be out of the door by Christmas (see McPherson, G.). 

On 5/20/2022 at 5:17 PM, GiGi said:

Never mind the club's budget for players, he'll be concerned with his own salary as manager. Daft Raymond left for that very reason albeit in a snakey, underhanded way. If we have a strong start to next season the club should be offering what he deserves and get that contract extended asap.

Indeed. 18 months for Dougie wasn't unreasonable to begin, but I think the job he's done* has been more than good enough that another year at least should be on the table right now, with a better wage.

*Avoiding relegation was obviously good in itself, but the way he done it and the qualities he displayed were what was really exciting and encouraging. As I've said before, I don't think the way we went about the task was really what Dougie fancies at all, which is what made it all the more impressive: there's very, very few managers that can come into a mess, take a look at what's there and find solutions that get the job done whatever way it can be done with a really disparate and unbalanced squad. Shiels leaps out as a particularly obvious example of somebody trying to enforce something totally different on a team in trouble, but football is littered with similar stories of managers that try to do a different job to the one that's in front of them at every level.

There's never guarantees with a manager over the long-term, but what we've seen from Dougie already is as close as you'll get to such a thing.

AWMSC

Archived