Davie McKinnon.. New Chief Executive? - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Davie McKinnon.. New Chief Executive?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely good to hear a focus on revenue increase as well rather that the tired and blinkered sustainability = cuts mantra.

Definitely need a review of all commercial and sponsorship operations to see where we are not maximising revenue, or not chasing revenue at all.

Are we actually getting the best deal from tho outsourced catering at the pie stall? Are Smiths the abomination they seem? Are we getting the going rate for the likes Of pitch side advertising compared to similar clubs?

Shirt sponsor should definitely be put out to see if there's any takers.

Definitely good to hear a focus on revenue increase as well rather that the tired and blinkered sustainability = cuts mantra.

Definitely need a review of all commercial and sponsorship operations to see where we are not maximising revenue, or not chasing revenue at all.

Are we actually getting the best deal from tho outsourced catering at the pie stall? Are Smiths the abomination they seem? Are we getting the going rate for the likes Of pitch side advertising compared to similar clubs?

Shirt sponsor should definitely be put out to see if there's any takers.

Queen of the South have been doing a shirt sponsorship draw for about the last 20 years.  I think it brings in about £100,000 (something like 220 tickets at £450 a pop sold).  For that, every ticket gets a season ticket so notionally you would have to take the value of those off the income although a lot of the season tickets go to businesses so maybe wouldn't be bought anyway if not given away for free.

Do Morton's accounts assign a value to shirt sponsorship from GC?  If not, should the value over many years not be deducted from the debt?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Queen of the South have been doing a shirt sponsorship draw for about the last 20 years. I think it brings in about £100,000 (something like 220 tickets at £450 a pop sold). For that, every ticket gets a season ticket so notionally you would have to take the value of those off the income although a lot of the season tickets go to businesses so maybe wouldn't be bought anyway if not given away for free.

Do Morton's accounts assign a value to shirt sponsorship from GC? If not, should the value over many years not be deducted from the debt?

The raffle is a deplorable idea.

Queen of the South have been doing a shirt sponsorship draw for about the last 20 years. I think it brings in about £100,000 (something like 220 tickets at £450 a pop sold). For that, every ticket gets a season ticket so notionally you would have to take the value of those off the income although a lot of the season tickets go to businesses so maybe wouldn't be bought anyway if not given away for free.

Do Morton's accounts assign a value to shirt sponsorship from GC? If not, should the value over many years not be deducted from the debt?

As far as I know - at least from the last AGM I attended, which was a while back - GC pay around the going rate in the division for shirt sponsorship. Can’t remember how much it was but remember the question being asked. No idea if there’s been any change since then.

As far as I know - at least from the last AGM I attended, which was a while back - GC pay around the going rate in the division for shirt sponsorship. Can’t remember how much it was but remember the question being asked. No idea if there’s been any change since then.

Surely then it makes sense for them to look externally? One less thing for them to pay

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Surely then it makes sense for them to look externally? One less thing for them to pay

Maybe, aye. But they might (I assume, must) also see value in the advertising. People do seem to recognise Millions and associate it with the Morton shirt.

It's hard to believe the Raes or Iron Man (de facto employed by GC) giving anything less than 'about the going rate' for an answer though. That doesn't necessarily mean that it was true, nor the top rate that a new and potentially more competent chief executive could secure from elsewhere right now.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Obviously we aren't in London or the EPL, but this is interesting nonetheless:

https://www.sportbusiness.com/2019/05/crystal-palace-aims-to-become-sponsors-club-of-choice-in-london-by-offering-more-flexible-more-scale-able-commercial-packages-than-rivals/

Basically, be inventive, don't just come up with a list of 'packages' and sell them, but work with companies to milk them give them something special.

Traditionalists and those with souls will find all this corporate-speak deeply off-putting, but unfortunately this is the world we find ourselves in if we want to maintain professional football in Inverclyde. Selling tickets and macaroons to guys in flat caps just won't do that anymore.

EOho8Pw.png

After the last couple of years of fine words, big talk and zero delivery, I'll settle for some basic competence and honesty. Hopefully Mr McKinnon will be able to provide this.

It's hard to believe the Raes or Iron Man (de facto employed by GC) giving anything less than 'about the going rate' for an answer though. That doesn't necessarily mean that it was true, nor the top rate that a new and potentially more competent chief executive could secure from elsewhere right now.

It was certainly true at the time but whether that’s still the case I have no idea. My memory is that it was slightly less than whatever other team was referred to when the question was asked (£24k for another team v £20k for us rings a bell but I might be misremembering the actual figures - but that kind of margin). Someone else, Toby maybe, might have a better memory than me of that.

DDF’s more contentious answer was that he paid £250k pa for shirt sponsorship.

The raffle is a deplorable idea.

When I saw the shirt sponsorship idea being mentioned you were the first person I thought about (Alibi) as, if I recall correctly, you sponsored QotS shirts in the mid 2000s via this method.

For what it's worth, I think it's good idea which has proven to work at clubs of a similar standing to ours; however I doubt very much there will be around 200 companies in Inverclyde who would part with £500 to take part in this (especially if the Bus Wankers are creeping about, if they won it would look helluva suspicious)

*insert signature here*

When I saw the shirt sponsorship idea being mentioned you were the first person I thought about (Alibi) as, if I recall correctly, you sponsored QotS shirts in the mid 2000s via this method.

For what it's worth, I think it's good idea which has proven to work at clubs of a similar standing to ours; however I doubt very much there will be around 200 companies in Inverclyde who would part with £500 to take part in this (especially if the Bus Wankers are creeping about, if they won it would look helluva suspicious)

While the raffle is a bit tinpot, being a broad kirk is the only way we're going to make this work long-term. It's more accurate to say that there is more chance of us getting a little from a lot of companies (and charities, and even weird individuals) than there is our being bankrolled forever and ever by a couple of large companies.

It also plays nicely into the whole community, together bullshit.

EOho8Pw.png

While the raffle is a bit tinpot, being a broad kirk is the only way we're going to make this work long-term. It's more accurate to say that there is more chance of us getting a little from a lot of companies (and charities, and even weird individuals) than there is our being bankrolled forever and ever by a couple of large companies.

It also plays nicely into the whole community, together bullshit.

I don't think it's 'tinpot' at all, it works for the likes of QotS,who for all intents and purposes are a similar club to ourselves. The £500 package needs to represent good, decent or even fair value for the companies involved, so it could be bundled together with this 'business club' membership, a trackside hoarding, plus give Five Tickets for seats in the stand at a couple of home games (subject to availability, of course).

Also, the 'raffle' part, if certain 'businessmen' are seen to win this too often, it could be viewed as a fix, whether rightly or wrongly, and others could lose faith as a result.

*insert signature here*

Unless it's changed in the last two seasons, the SPFL allow three shirt sponsors. No reason not to continue with Millions as the main sponsor and add another two, one of which could be from a raffle.

Millions are shan, that's a reason.

All three of our sponsors should be John's Joint.

EOho8Pw.png

I don't think it's 'tinpot' at all, it works for the likes of QotS,who for all intents and purposes are a similar club to ourselves. The £500 package needs to represent good, decent or even fair value for the companies involved, so it could be bundled together with this 'business club' membership, a trackside hoarding, plus give Five Tickets for seats in the stand at a couple of home games (subject to availability, of course).

Also, the 'raffle' part, if certain 'businessmen' are seen to win this too often, it could be viewed as a fix, whether rightly or wrongly, and others could lose faith as a result.

Easy fix for that - make part of the raffle part into a GALA EVENT at the town hall or something. That's catnip for businessmen, getting to cut about in a slightly-too-tight-around-the-middle suit, sipping "Prosecco" and "networking", talking about golf or whatever. Then get a 40-year-old scorcher* from the audience to do the draw. Corruption-free!

*do use those words

EOho8Pw.png

I'm sure that Raith Rovers had a similar sponsorship scheme to this, and in the season when they won the League Cup they were sponsored by 'Jackie O's Nightclub' via this method, and the owner was in the newspapers saying it was the best £x00 he'd ever spent.

One of the attractions of this scheme is we may get someone like 'John's Joint' or a pub, local small garage or plumbing firm etc. As our shirt sponsors, whereas if a company like that was to pay the going rate, they may not be able to afford £30-£40k.

*insert signature here*

Easy fix for that - make part of the raffle part into a GALA EVENT at the town hall or something. That's catnip for businessmen, getting to cut about in a slightly-too-tight-around-the-middle suit, sipping "Prosecco" and "networking", talking about golf or whatever. Then get a 40-year-old scorcher* from the audience to do the draw. Corruption-free!

*do use those words

The 40-year-old scorcher would be scorched along with her monobloc driveway after they extinguish her milfmobile for picking out the wrong Taxi firm's ticket.

*insert signature here*

Archived