Who Is Next? - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Is Next?

Malt

I'm honestly confused about what I'm meant to think of those players who came through at Celtic. Is that a good record or a bad one? I was of the impression that Celtic fans were really disappointed by their youth system during that period.

Is that the Mark Wilson that Celtic bought from Dundee Utd?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm honestly confused about what I'm meant to think of those players who came through at Celtic. Is that a good record or a bad one? I was of the impression that Celtic fans were really disappointed by their youth system during that period.

Is that the Mark Wilson that Celtic bought from Dundee Utd?

It is, my mistake.

With the exception of John Kennedy, whose career was cut short cruelly by that disgraceful tackle; David Marshall, Shaun Maloney, Liam Miller, Stephen McManus and Aiden McGeady - the rest seem to be fair to average; however I don't profess to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the workings of Celtic or Rangers youth academys and who they've produced over the past 20 years, however I'll bet that KMcD does.

*insert signature here*

Okay then,

What would Brian Blessed Wake offer which Kenny McDowall couldn't?

The services of a deity whose managerial career to date has been one of uninterrupted success. A Morton legend returning to the club to banish a period of shan failure since He was snaked out the door in 2010 by that vile reptile Grady (another 'highly thought of youth coach' in Scottish football, naturally). Compared to a slaphead spoon-burner who has no individual achievements to show for two decades in Scottish football's jobs for the boys network.

It's not even a fucking contest. The Lord reigns supreme.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Well, if you are looking for facts, he was a coach at Celtic for 10 years and throughout that time he was working with many coaches including Tommy Burns, Billy Stark, Win Jansen, Dr. Josef Venglos, Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes, Terry McDermott, Eric Black, Martin O'Neill, Steve Walfrid, John Robertson amongst others in an era which would become arguably the second most successful in their clubs history, culminating in a UEFA Cup Final in 2003, and regular appearances within the UEFA Champions League.

When he jumped ship to join Rangers in 2007, he worked under Walter Smith and was part of the coaching team that got to another UEFA Cup Final in 2008.

If you look at some of the young players that broke through into the first team of both clubs during those eras it makes for interesting reading:

Aiden McGeady, Simon Donnelly, John Paul McBride, Mark Burchill, Chris Hay, Liam Miller, Colin Healy, Stephen Crainey, Stephen McManus, John Kennedy, Jim Goodwin, David Marshall, Shaun Maloney, Craig Beattie, Ross Wallace, Mark Wlson and MIchael Gardyne.

I think your judgement on Kenny McDowall is tainted based on the fact that he is (in your words) is 'a Paisley Bastard' and also the fact that he was a caretaker manager at Rangers during their most difficult period in their history. Far more experienced managers would have found that an extremely tough gig. That experience could only serve him well going forward.

Ally McCoist was also part of that Rangers coaching team, and is an appalling manager.

Jim McInally was also a youth coach at Celtic at that time, and is a terrible manager.

Being a good coach does not equal being a good manager.

No manager is going to be a guaranteed success or guaranteed failure with any club, but there is literally nothing in McDowall's career to suggest he's capable of being a successful manager. Of course there was little evidence in Jim Duffy's recent history to suggest he could do a competent job prior to his appointment and he worked out alright, but that doesn't mean we should just disregard evidence and give it to any old applicant based on a hunch.

To pick up on your Wake point, again no appointment is a guaranteed success, but Wake has had one full season as a manager and won a league title without losing a game. That was at a considerably lower level than the Scottish second tier in another country so there are questions over whether he could make the step up and if he has enough knowledge of the Scottish game, but the fact he has had any measure of success as a manager makes him a considerably superior candidate to Kenny McDowall when looking at the evidence in favour of each.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It is, my mistake.

With the exception of John Kennedy, whose career was cut short cruelly by that disgraceful tackle; David Marshall, Shaun Maloney, Liam Miller, Stephen McManus and Aiden McGeady - the rest seem to be fair to average; however I don't profess to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the workings of Celtic or Rangers youth academys and who they've produced over the past 20 years, however I'll bet that KMcD does.

That was nothing short of an assault on John Kennedy. I have no doubts that he had lost the rag and just went in to hurt him.

On McDowall, I just don't think there's anything that makes him stand out as a candidate for the manager's job.

That was nothing short of an assault on John Kennedy. I have no doubts that he had lost the rag and just went in to hurt him.

Yep,I was at that game and it was a dreadful tackle.

EOho8Pw.png

The services of a deity whose managerial career to date has been one of uninterrupted success. A Morton legend returning to the club to banish a period of shan failure since He was snaked out the door in 2010 by that vile reptile Grady (another 'highly thought of youth coach' in Scottish football, naturally). Compared to a slaphead spoon-burner who has no individual achievements to show for two decades in Scottish football's jobs for the boys network.

It's not even a ****ing contest. The Lord reigns supreme.

So he won a Fives tourney in Sweden, did he?

That will certainly stand him in good stead. :rolleyes:

*insert signature here*

Even if he had only won a fives tournament he would still have more credibility as a manager than Kenny McDowall.

McDowall is an Andy Ritchie level suggestion.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Ally McCoist was also part of that Rangers coaching team, and is an appalling manager.

I wouldn't say that he was an 'appalling' manager, however he wasnt great. He did have to work under difficult circumstances so therefore it would be hard to judge him on that basis.

I do think that there is a certain element of the Morton supporters are in awe of 'Brand McCoist' even today, hence why there are so many gormless no-hopers trying to give substance to some of the supposed 'rumours' out there.

Jim McInally was also a youth coach at Celtic at that time, and is a terrible manager.

Being a good coach does not equal being a good manager.

No manager is going to be a guaranteed success or guaranteed failure with any club, but there is literally nothing in McDowall's career to suggest he's capable of being a successful manager.

I've detailed above McDowall's career from Youth Team coach, Reserve Team Coach, First Team Coach to assistant manager at Scotland's largest football club. That was a 20 year period working under some of the greatest managers which the Scottish game has ever known. He was unfortunate that his fist taste of management came at the time when his club was in utter turmoil, however that would surely have been an invaluable learning experience for him.

If you only ever know success, how do you cope when times get difficult, or how do you cope when you eventually lose? Someone who has known both successes and failures, good times and bad, will be better equipped to deal with these situations when they come around.

Of course there was little evidence in Jim Duffy's recent history to suggest he could do a competent job prior to his appointment and he worked out alright, but that doesn't mean we should just disregard evidence and give it to any old applicant based on a hunch.

It's not a hunch. It is careful consideration based on what the guy has done for the past twenty years. He has served a good lengthy apprenticeship and is a worthwhile candidate. Far better than McCoist in my opinion.

To pick up on your Wake point, again no appointment is a guaranteed success, but Wake has had one full season as a manager and won a league title without losing a game. That was at a considerably lower level than the Scottish second tier in another country so there are questions over whether he could make the step up and if he has enough knowledge of the Scottish game, but the fact he has had any measure of success as a manager makes him a considerably superior candidate to Kenny McDowall when looking at the evidence in favour of each.

Back to my point about success and failure above.

I wouldn't be averse to Brian Wake, but maybe this is too soon for him?

*insert signature here*

I wouldn't say that he was an 'appalling' manager, however he wasnt great. He did have to work under difficult circumstances so therefore it would be hard to judge him on that basis.

I do think that there is a certain element of the Morton supporters are in awe of 'Brand McCoist' even today, hence why there are so many gormless no-hopers trying to give substance to some of the supposed 'rumours' out there.

I've detailed above McDowall's career from Youth Team coach, Reserve Team Coach, First Team Coach to assistant manager at Scotland's largest football club. That was a 20 year period working under some of the greatest managers which the Scottish game has ever known. He was unfortunate that his fist taste of management came at the time when his club was in utter turmoil, however that would surely have been an invaluable learning experience for him.

If you only ever know success, how do you cope when times get difficult, or how do you cope when you eventually lose? Someone who has known both successes and failures, good times and bad, will be better equipped to deal with these situations when they come around.

It's not a hunch. It is careful consideration based on what the guy has done for the past twenty years. He has served a good lengthy apprenticeship and is a worthwhile candidate. Far better than McCoist in my opinion.

Back to my point about success and failure above.

I wouldn't be averse to Brian Wake, but maybe this is too soon for him?

Wake would be a joke appointment. Not a chance thankfully...

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Stick to carrying a torch for Super Sally ya tit.

I know you can't help yourself (the way you were dragged up I guess), or read apparently. I don't want McCoist as Morton manager... such a strong link with Rangers doesn't sit well with me.

Hope you enjoy your boycott if McCoist gets the gig...

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

I know you can't help yourself (the way you were dragged up I guess), or read apparently. I don't want McCoist as Morton manager... such a strong link with Rangers doesn't sit well with me.

No wonder your kids fucking despise you.

*insert signature here*

It’s always good to see Zhivago acting all gallus and dishing out the patter when we know, and he knows that he shat it from a steward’s girlfriend.

It’s always good to see Zhivago acting all gallus and dishing out the patter when we know, and he knows that he shat it from a steward’s girlfriend.

Ehm, think I said before, that I don't entertain a certain type of people on my personal social media. I would avoid their type in real life, so do the same elsewhere.  :angel:

Ehm, think I said before, that I don't entertain a certain type of people on my personal social media. I would avoid their type in real life, so do the same elsewhere. :angel:

You did, yes. And I explained it’s because you’re a coward who can’t handle people with opinions standing up for themselves.

You did, yes. And I explained it’s because you’re a coward who can’t handle people with opinions standing up for themselves.

Hmm... more simply put, I don't chat to neds. On that theme... bye.

On McDowall, I just don't think there's anything that makes him stand out as a candidate for the manager's job.

Ganea was the type of guy to do things like this, so I cannot see it being anything but malicious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRzTRi1nCmE

You seem upset. Good. 

Our Lord started as all proper managers should do - beginning at a low level to work their way up; as opposed to the time-honoured Scottish ex-professionals route of 'getting yourself a staff job at a big club based solely on who you used to play alongside' and 'knifing the current manager in the back to snake your way into the dugout'. Wake achieved immediate success by taking Ytterhogals IK to the highest level in the club's history without losing a single league game in the process. An accomplishment of obvious value to a club that aims itself to play at a higher level and has failed to find anyone capable of bringing it about. To date, Brian Wake's record in league management stands as:

P 27 W19 D8 L0 

It's almost as if he doesn't know the meaning of the term 'defeat', never mind the parade of insipid losses overseen by much, much lesser minds squatting in the Morton dugout. 

There is only one outstanding candidate for the job then; now is the time to Bring Him Home.to make this once-proud football club great again. 

DbsNMc0XcAAP4rc.jpg

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived