Was The Enclosure In Front Of The Stand Anyone's Preferred Spot? - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Was The Enclosure In Front Of The Stand Anyone's Preferred Spot?

standman

Don't think you could ever stand there, it had bench seating in it as long as I can remember. To get to it you would take a right just after the wee pie and bovril shop.

I can only ever remember being in it once, for a friendly against Leningrad (now St Petersberg) Zenit in 1972 or thereabouts. We won 2-1 with Donnie Gilles netting the winner, if I rightly recall. They were top of the Russian league at the time as well.

I sat right next to the away dugout, and to this day I'm still worried about developing cancer from passively inhaling the acrid cigarette smoke that was belching out from it for the whole game.

Don't think you could ever stand there, it had bench seating in it as long as I can remember. To get to it you would take a right just after the wee pie and bovril shop.

I can only ever remember being in it once, for a friendly against Leningrad (now St Petersberg) Zenit in 1972 or thereabouts. We won 2-1 with Donnie Gilles netting the winner, if I rightly recall. They were top of the Russian league at the time as well.

I sat right next to the away dugout, and to this day I'm still worried about developing cancer from passively inhaling the acrid cigarette smoke that was belching out from it for the whole game.

Soviet League, comrade.  ;)

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I was only ever in it once as well, when we played Middlesbourgh, Bobby Thomsons benefit game or something, was standing just beside what is now the door those at hospitality use to get to the stand.

Was only there because I'd broken my toe a few days earlier and didn't want stood on in the shed, can't remember how I ended up there though.

When I got my first season ticket, for season 1966-67, it was for the enclosure.  We were sat right next to the home dugout, in the front row.  Had the same spot until 1971 when I stopped buying season tickets as I was away at uni.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

There was some kind of kids club before games in the late 70's/ early 80's. Can't remember much else about it, but that's where they were put during the games.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

• 3 weeks later...

There was a Development Club for junior members in the late 70's early 80's which was housed in the enclosure beside the away dugout. You went through a wee tunnel beside the pie stall in the main stand, and walked past a huge water boiler which took you out to the enclosure. The boiler was good in the winter as you could get a wee heat from it. Great view of the pitch and brilliant for autograph hunting. Loved sitting there. Think that's where I really learned to swear, especially when Jocky Scott was in the dugout lol

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

There was a Development Club for junior members in the late 70's early 80's which was housed in the enclosure beside the away dugout. You went through a wee tunnel beside the pie stall in the main stand, and walked past a huge water boiler which took you out to the enclosure. The boiler was good in the winter as you could get a wee heat from it. Great view of the pitch and brilliant for autograph hunting. Loved sitting there. Think that's where I really learned to swear, especially when Jocky Scott was in the dugout lol

Amazing bit of technology for the 70s - a water boiler that could do the job of a steward.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Guest Eric M.

The game against Leningrad Zenit was on 13 November 1972 and was 3-2 to Morton courtesy of an own goal,Armstrong and Gillies. I don't have that good a memory but I kept records for a few years around that time.

Baines, Hayes, Brannigan, Lavelle,Anderson,Clark,Watson,Townsend,Osborne,Gillies and Armstrong. Subs were Lumsden,Christiansen and Murphy.

The game against Leningrad Zenit was on 13 November 1972 and was 3-2 to Morton courtesy of an own goal,Armstrong and Gillies. I don't have that good a memory but I kept records for a few years around that time.

Baines, Hayes, Brannigan, Lavelle,Anderson,Clark,Watson,Townsend,Osborne,Gillies and Armstrong. Subs were Lumsden,Christiansen and Murphy.

Was John Lavelle the blonde haired guy?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

John was dark haired. Are you thinking of Barry Evans? He was a few years later.

I remember Barry Evans, it wasn't him. The guy I'm thinking had pure blonde, almost white, wavy hair, a bit like Jon Scullion.

LT sure you don't mean Ally Scott? :bag:

Nah, I'm sure the guy I'm thinking of had his hair on his head, not following close by. 

It must have been one of the Danes or somebody that only played a few games.

Guest Eric M.

Nah, I'm sure the guy I'm thinking of had his hair on his head, not following close by. 

It must have been one of the Danes or somebody that only played a few games.

That could have been Christiansen or Skovdam later on.

Guest Eric M.

It probably was. I'm beginning to doubt myself now, I was that sure it was Lavelle.  :blink:

There was also a fair haired winger called David Booth who played a few games around then.

LT sure you don't mean Ally Scott? :bag:

Ally Scott was quite a bit later.  He was at Glasgow Uni when I started there in 1970 and went on to play for Hibs and Rangers before he joined us (late 70s I think - he certainly played in the same team as Andy Ritchie).  As for the hair, his nickname was Bald Eagle so maybe a clue in there somewhere...

Archived