Pre-season - Page 37 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Pre-season

Jamie_M

I've already acknowledged the defence is poor and we require more options up front. If that isn't addressed in the remaining weeks of the transfer window then yes, I'll criticise then.

You on the other hand are criticising now based on a training game and a squad that's incomplete.

The season starts in 6 days.

TTG JIM!!!

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article about signings in the Telegraph really says it all. To be let down by one player, say Davidson not wanting to come because he does not want to travel or relocate, might be unfortunate, but to be let down by all of them is incompetence pure and simple. Turning to the Dutch boys smacks of desperation and not part of any coherent strategy.

Can only hope that poor showings to date is part of a cunning plan by Duffy to blag a bigger budget. Somehow I think not.

Good stuff Eddy boy. I was thinking that Eddy is a rather common name. May I call you Nigel? 

The article about signings in the Telegraph really says it all. To be let down by one player, say Davidson not wanting to come because he does not want to travel or relocate, might be unfortunate, but to be let down by all of them is incompetence pure and simple. Turning to the Dutch boys smacks of desperation and not part of any coherent strategy.

Can only hope that poor showings to date is part of a cunning plan by Duffy to blag a bigger budget. Somehow I think not.

Was thinking exactly the same. If we start the season with the current squad (the Dutch guys don't sound even close to being good enough), it would be mis-management/incompetence - no excuses.

On the basis of what I've seen there is little merit in signing the Dutchmen who both look poor.

However what really annoys me is the style of play we have and the lack of urgency and  crispness. Our build-up play is soooo slow that the concept of hitting on the break is non existent. The ball is played across and back (has Kilday ever passed a ball forwards) and eventually 'lumped' up the park.

Awful to watch and  I've no idea what is practiced in training but it certainly leaves a lot to be desired. 

On yesterday's performance I do really fear for the coming season in a league which looks very strong.

Unless Duffy somehow works a miracle we are heading for a relegation battle from day ONE and could be out of 2 cups in a fortnight. 

On the basis of what I've seen there is little merit in signing the Dutchmen who both look poor.

However what really annoys me is the style of play we have and the lack of urgency and  crispness. Our build-up play is soooo slow that the concept of hitting on the break is non existent. The ball is played across and back (has Kilday ever passed a ball forwards) and eventually 'lumped' up the park.

Awful to watch and  I've no idea what is practiced in training but it certainly leaves a lot to be desired. 

On yesterday's performance I do really fear for the coming season in a league which looks very strong.

Unless Duffy somehow works a miracle we are heading for a relegation battle from day ONE and could be out of 2 cups in a fortnight. 

Not surprising with so many of last years mediocrities still around.  Nearly every game I was at, the word that summed us up was "pedestrian".

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Transfer window doesn't close in 6 days though...

A squad should be prepared for the first game of the season, with possibly an addition or two made between then and the windows closing if someone suddenly becomes available.

Of course, you'll be happy when we're dumped out of both cups and picking up no points because the transfer window will still be open.

TTG JIM!!!

Transfer window doesn't close in 6  days though...

First competitive game is in 6 days and the squad should be close to complete which it is currently nowhere near.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

The Petrofac cup isn't such a 'diddy' cup this year with a potential final against one of the bigger names in the division.

I'm sure Dumbarton will be well aware of this.

Yes and we should be trembling at the knees given how they have walloped top class opposition in their warm up matches!

I know they beat Hearts 2-0 Nigel. That was quite good.

Don't you think so?

They've played 3, won 3. Albeit the other two games were against non-league teams.

But you can only beat what's put in front of you. Unless off course it's a mid table Highland League team or a bunch of teenagers from the East End.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Transfer window doesn't close in 6  days though...

Yes, but if we wait until the transfer window closes to make more signings and write off games before then on the basis that the squad isn't complete we could be out of two cups and sitting on four defeats out of four in the league.

If you're just needing to make a couple of additions as cover then it's fine to talk about having plenty of time until the window closes, but we're six days from the start of the season and our strongest starting eleven is nowhere near good enough. The squad needs to be more or less complete for competitive games starting and we're nowhere near it, with at least three regular starters still required.

We're writing off competitive games by not making signings now, and then will we write off another two or three games after that too as the players we sign in August just need time to gel and then everything'll start looking up after that happens? It's not good enough.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Yes, but if we wait until the transfer window closes to make more signings and write off games before then on the basis that the squad isn't complete we could be out of two cups and sitting on four defeats out of four in the league.

If you're just needing to make a couple of additions as cover then it's fine to talk about having plenty of time until the window closes, but we're six days from the start of the season and our strongest starting eleven is nowhere near good enough. The squad needs to be more or less complete for competitive games starting and we're nowhere near it, with at least three regular starters still required.

We're writing off competitive games by not making signings now, and then will we write off another two or three games after that too as the players we sign in August just need time to gel and then everything'll start looking up after that happens? It's not good enough.

Rightly or wrongly, a lot managers (Ian Murray said as much last season) see these early cup ties as effectively a step up from pre-season, but preparation for the league beginning. Murray's argument was that they come too early for teams to be fully prepared for them. I don't think managers write them off as such, though - Duffy, I'm sure, is able to field a team capable of winning these games.

Excellent post. But the incompetence is endemic at Morton. The Raes are kings of the hard-luck story when it comes to professional football. It's always someone else's fault, there's always a spanner in the works. They don't take responsibility for anything, so why would Duffy?

Duffy will be allowed to get away with his bullshit League Two approach to squad-building until we're miles adrift because the Raes simply don't expect their managers to perform in this way. As long as the manager can make effective excuses, he's doing what they'd expect him to.

On the Davidson thing in particular, wouldn't his relocation concerns also have come up in January?

EOho8Pw.png

Rightly or wrongly, a lot managers (Ian Murray said as much last season) see these early cup ties as effectively a step up from pre-season, but preparation for the league beginning. Murray's argument was that they come too early for teams to be fully prepared for them. I don't think managers write them off as such, though - Duffy, I'm sure, is able to field a team capable of winning these games.

Did you miss the part where Dunning said, literally in the first sentence, that there are also four league games before the window closes?

EOho8Pw.png

Did you miss the part where Dunning said, literally in the first sentence, that there are also four league games before the window closes?

No, but I wasn't arguing with him, just making a point about the early cup ties.

Archived