Thanks For All You Have Done - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thanks For All You Have Done

cammy

The thing is, it really could be worse. I don't mind specific criticisms of the club, or alternatives offered for the way forward. But I'm not sure I get the point of this general type of call for complete change.

The weirdest bit though, why would dougie be panicking about us going up?

Nothing weird about it.  Why do you think he announced his wage cut/part-time nonsense just around the time of the Firhill game in March?  At that time, given that the SPL was still in place, promotion would have meant spending a shit-load of money on Cappielow.  TTG Dougie!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing weird about it. Why do you think he announced his wage cut/part-time nonsense just around the time of the Firhill game in March? At that time, given that the SPL was still in place, promotion would have meant spending a s***-load of money on Cappielow. TTG Dougie!

That was aimed at the league reconstruction talks, not at the club or fans (in the way that some previous statements have been). The fact that the plans to work on Cappielow were budgeted for and at an advanced stage doesn't point to a clu panicking about going up. Particularly pre-reconstruction the SPL was the only show in town with regard to sustainable full time football and I'm sure the Raes know that as well as anyone.

Nothing weird about it.  Why do you think he announced his wage cut/part-time nonsense just around the time of the Firhill game in March?  At that time, given that the SPL was still in place, promotion would have meant spending a s***-load of money on Cappielow.  TTG Dougie!

Surely you're not suggesting we 'threw' the league?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Why would he not want to go up because he's losing money? Doesn't make sense. Surely he'd want to (and he does want to) go up to the only league where he can make some of that money back!?

On the budget - it's been done to death on here, but building on or even keeping that squad on the gates that we were getting just wasn't sustainable. It's not Moore's fault he had to rip up that team, I agree there, but I don't think the decision to cut the budget was Rae's "fault" either - it was just the product of necessity.

He is losing money but he would lose a hell of a lot more by getting the ground up to a acceptable Standard plus paying higher wages to a better quality of player to try and keep us there.  The average crowd would increase whether that is enough plus the league placing money and tv money could sustain it is another question.

Nothing weird about it. Why do you think he announced his wage cut/part-time nonsense just around the time of the Firhill game in March? At that time, given that the SPL was still in place, promotion would have meant spending a s***-load of money on Cappielow. TTG Dougie!

Do you seriously think a reasonable answer to that question is that dougie doesn't want us to go up?

Given the money and prestige involved in Morton getting to the top flight, there's no way that dougie doesn't want to get us there. What you're trying to say doesn't add up, it isn't logical.

I'll ask again, why wouldnt he want Morton in the top flight?

The auld chook has made a right royal baws up of his tenure, whether it be his safari suits and his let's be having you pish. Don't worry though, when he fucks off after his disaster we will be 2m in the hole. Well done.

Remember The Alamo --- MORTON 5 THE MIDDEN BUT 1

im travelling up from lincolnshire on tuesday and staying with the brothers in denny then travelling to the game on wednesday so hopefully i will be mortons lucky charm mon the ton was tuned in when we beat celtic and im on here every saturday for the result and on open all mics to listen to score

Honestly think we are one of the worse run clubs in scotland. From chairman to manager and financially we are screwed if Dougie wants his money back. Doesn't help matters when the commercial department (lol) can't get basic stuff right.

Major boot up the balls for everyone. I do not want to see Morton in the seaside leagues again.

I don't get why people think Dougie doesn't want Morton in the top flight. If it's to do with money then the SPL is the only league you're actually going to make any. This "oh he'd have to spend money on the ground" patter is the shite you hear from taxi drivers who 'used to go to games years ago' when they hear you're a Morton fan. Utter pish.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I don't get why people think Dougie doesn't want Morton in the top flight. If it's to do with money then the SPL is the only league you're actually going to make any. This "oh he'd have to spend money on the ground" patter is the s***e you hear from taxi drivers who 'used to go to games years ago' when they hear you're a Morton fan. Utter pish.

Agreed.

I don't get why people think Dougie doesn't want Morton in the top flight. If it's to do with money then the SPL is the only league you're actually going to make any. This "oh he'd have to spend money on the ground" patter is the s***e you hear from taxi drivers who 'used to go to games years ago' when they hear you're a Morton fan. Utter pish.

So what happened to the WDE Stand then?  The only time the Raes 'invest' in Cappielow is when they are forced to do so - eg the new lighting system.  Time they moved on.

So what happened to the WDE Stand then?  The only time the Raes 'invest' in Cappielow is when they are forced to do so - eg the new lighting system.  Time they moved on.

In the first place the recession bit, and the contractor went bust. Thereafter there wasn't a need to spend upwards of £500,000 to install it. Why would we when it isn't needed and the crowds are so low. However, there were plans and budgets in place to start work very quickly on the erection of that stand had we won the league - the argument just doesn't stack up. I agree with GiGi, it's paranoid 2+2=555 stuff.

I also think people forget what a shambles Cappielow was when the Raes took over. The Shed was basically a muddy hill, the pitch a bit of a mess, and the stand not safe. Just because Cappielow looks close to what it did twenty years says nothing about the money needed to restore it to that level.

In the first place the recession bit, and the contractor went bust. Thereafter there wasn't a need to spend upwards of £500,000 to install it. Why would we when it isn't needed and the crowds are so low. However, there were plans and budgets in place to start work very quickly on the erection of that stand had we won the league - the argument just doesn't stack up. I agree with GiGi, it's paranoid 2+2=555 stuff.

I also think people forget what a shambles Cappielow was when the Raes took over. The Shed was basically a muddy hill, the pitch a bit of a mess, and the stand not safe. Just because Cappielow looks close to what it did twenty years says nothing about the money needed to restore it to that level.

There are so many errors in your analysis.  As regards the recession, was it not Rae himself that publicly said that the recession had not affected Golden Casket Group's profit margins as "people still need to buy sweeties"?  Furthermore, although there may not be a mandatory need to improve facilities at Cappielow, wouldn't any responsible owner not wish to provide better facilities for their customers?  As for the state of Cappielow immediately post-Scott era, money was indeed spent on Cappielow - monies provided by the (then) Football Trust and, subsequently, the Scottish Football Partnership. 

There are so many errors in your analysis.  As regards the recession, was it not Rae himself that publicly said that the recession had not affected Golden Casket Group's profit margins as "people still need to buy sweeties"?  Furthermore, although there may not be a mandatory need to improve facilities at Cappielow, wouldn't any responsible owner not wish to provide better facilities for their customers?  As for the state of Cappielow immediately post-Scott era, money was indeed spent on Cappielow - monies provided by the (then) Football Trust and, subsequently, the Scottish Football Partnership. 

The economics of covering the WDE are that it would cost around £400k.  For what?  To create a 3000 seat stand to accommodate the average 100-200 away support?   Over £700,000 has been spent one way or another on Cappielow and , sure, some of that was grant aided but far from all of it.  Cappielow is more or less fit for purpose given the present crowds.  It has its shortcomings such legroom in the stand but basically it does the job so why when the club makes substantial annual losses would you spend more than necessary on it?

The biggest issue is that Cappielow does not lend itself to being used for much other than staging approx 20-25 home matches a season.  Unlike most of the new grounds, it does not have lettable office space, the ability to stage functions such as weddings, etc. or generate additional income.  A new ground in good location would do that but that is well beyond the resources of the club and probably the Raes also, at least in terms of what they are willing to spend.

This is not correct, in fact the exact opposite was the case. Morton owed the Football Trust £120238 at year end 31st May 2002, money given to Morton (Scott) for ground improvments which of course were never carried out and subsequently the money dissapeared, it could not be accounted for after the takeover.  The exact sum of money Scott received was £218349 from the Football Trust of which Morton had paid back £98,066 by year end 31st May 2002

Morton did receive money, some of which was spent on Cappielow post Scott (2001-2), that was £365,000 and was a loan from Golden Casket to Morton.

As a matter of interest by 2003 the amount due to Golden Casket had risen to £589,943!!

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Archived