Thanks For All You Have Done - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thanks For All You Have Done

cammy

Maybe we have in fact reached our level. We don't have a great support. Even when we were top of the league last season our crowds were abysmal, certainly not enough coming through the gates to meet our ambitions unless that is you have an owner who's willing to piss money up against a wall every year which Dougie has obviously decided he's no longer going to do.

By far the biggest income for the club is gate receipts and the fans are not turning up. So we can bitch and moan about not having "competent" players but when you can only pay peanuts you only get monkeys. If we could get 3000 through the gates every week we would have more justification in telling Dougie and Moore they are not spending OUR money wisely.

Sure the rest of the club could be run more professionally but maybe if the fans showed more interest in supporting the club then we could justifiably complain about how the club is run.

We get "mediocrity and failure" because right now that's what we the fans are paying for. Could we be playing better and be more organised, for sure. But start putting more money into the club and then we can demand more is done to lift us up the rankings in Scottish Football.

Reminds me of JFK speech "ask not what your country can do for you"

Excellent - kind of sums up where I've got to in my thinking too.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we have in fact reached our level. We don't have a great support. Even when we were top of the league last season our crowds were abysmal, certainly not enough coming through the gates to meet our ambitions unless that is you have an owner who's willing to piss money up against a wall every year which Dougie has obviously decided he's no longer going to do.

By far the biggest income for the club is gate receipts and the fans are not turning up. So we can bitch and moan about not having "competent" players but when you can only pay peanuts you only get monkeys. If we could get 3000 through the gates every week we would have more justification in telling Dougie and Moore they are not spending OUR money wisely.

Sure the rest of the club could be run more professionally but maybe if the fans showed more interest in supporting the club then we could justifiably complain about how the club is run.

We get "mediocrity and failure" because right now that's what we the fans are paying for. Could we be playing better and be more organised, for sure. But start putting more money into the club and then we can demand more is done to lift us up the rankings in Scottish Football.

Reminds me of JFK speech "ask not what your country can do for you"Spot Ton, on 04 Jun 2013 - 1:27 PM, said:

What's changed in your attitude since the close season when you were telling us all how you wouldn't be buying a season ticket because we hadn't put together a squad on the 4th of June?

With a lot of our better players leaving because they have had a pay cut,I see McDonald now saying he won't be back, I hope Dougie is planning to cut the cost of a season ticket or else I'll not be buying one this season. With the prospect of maybe not even making the playoffs,if they are in place by the start of the season, I just don't see the point of forking out all that money up front for little savings and less attractive football. sad.gif

If we're going to get lectures about supporting the team financially, I'm afraid an old guy that's happy to throw his toys out the pram when things aren't going exactly as he wants them isn't the one to be dishing out those lectures.

Reminds me of JFK speech "ask not what your country can do for you"

The crowds have dropped at Cappielow because of the shambolic way we've lurched from mediocre season to mediocre season under Rae. I don't think Rae has any real grounds for complaining about the attendances at games, how can he when we fucked about for god knows many years in the 2nd Division, or after flirting with relegation for the majority of our time in the 1st? People are totally scunnered with Morton and the chairman has to accept the lion's share of the responsibility for that.  You used the phrase that when you can only pay peanuts you can only get monkeys, the same rules apply to attendances.

AWMSC

What's changed in your attitude since the close season when you were telling us all how you wouldn't be buying a season ticket because we hadn't put together a squad on the 4th of June?

If we're going to get lectures about supporting the team financially, I'm afraid an old guy that's happy to throw his toys out the pram when things aren't going exactly as he wants them isn't the one to be dishing out those lectures.

I bought my season ticket regardless to support the club.

The crowds have dropped at Cappielow because of the shambolic way we've lurched from mediocre season to mediocre season under Rae. I don't think Rae has any real grounds for complaining about the attendances at games, how can he when we ****ed about for god knows many years in the 2nd Division, or after flirting with relegation for the majority of our time in the 1st? People are totally scunnered with Morton and the chairman has to accept the lion's share of the responsibility for that.  You used the phrase that when you can only pay peanuts you can only get monkeys, the same rules apply to attendances.

My point is that you can't make a noise and complain if your not contributing financially. Dougie has been pouring thousands into Morton and in return has only asked us "to bring a friend". You only have to read this messageboard to get a sample of the comments people are saying about Dougie.

Love him or hate him, and I don't particularly like him, the old codger, as far as Morton is concerned, has his heart in the right place. I wish I could say the same for the so called "fans" of Morton Football Club who don't go to the games, the ones who can afford it, and would rather listen to webcasts and read twitter updates etc.  and only turn up for glamour games.

Before we start criticising we need to start supporting the team to the level that we would like to see reciprocated on the park. If we don't want wage cuts and second rate players then we need to step up to the mark and start attending games. Then Dougie can afford to splash out a bit more. And we can really start complaining if and when he gets it wrong because he's using OUR money and not his.

My point is that you can't make a noise and complain if your not contributing financially. Dougie has been pouring thousands into Morton and in return has only asked us "to bring a friend". You only have to read this messageboard to get a sample of the comments people are saying about Dougie.

Love him or hate him, and I don't particularly like him, the old codger, as far as Morton is concerned, has his heart in the right place. I wish I could say the same for the so called "fans" of Morton Football Club who don't go to the games, the ones who can afford it, and would rather listen to webcasts and read twitter updates etc.  and only turn up for glamour games.

Before we start criticising we need to start supporting the team to the level that we would like to see reciprocated on the park. If we don't want wage cuts and second rate players then we need to step up to the mark and start attending games. Then Dougie can afford to splash out a bit more. And we can really start complaining if and when he gets it wrong because he's using OUR money and not his.

You've got that the wrong way round. 

The company should make the product better so the customer buys it.

Not the customer buys the product so the company can make it better.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

The crowds have dropped at Cappielow because of the shambolic way we've lurched from mediocre season to mediocre season under Rae. I don't think Rae has any real grounds for complaining about the attendances at games, how can he when we ****ed about for god knows many years in the 2nd Division, or after flirting with relegation for the majority of our time in the 1st? People are totally scunnered with Morton and the chairman has to accept the lion's share of the responsibility for that.  You used the phrase that when you can only pay peanuts you can only get monkeys, the same rules apply to attendances.

Correct. Morton regularly attracted crowds of circa 3000 in the early days of the Rae era when there was a 5-year plan in place and regular communication with the fans through the medium of the Greenock Telegraph and, for example, the annual Fans' Rally. So the support is clearly out there. What is the strategy now? Why was the Fans Rally aborted? Why is the AGM now a charade with all pointed questions studiously ignored by Rae and his acolytes? Why is the Commercial Department a shambles? In my view, the answer is clear - there is a climate of total apathy at the Club from top to bottom (Groundsman aside) and, as someone once famously said on this forum, 'a fish rots from the head'. DDF needs to understand that he is merely the current caretaker of one of Scotland's oldest football clubs. It existed way before he was born and will, hopefully, be here after he has left the stage.

You've got that the wrong way round. 

The company should make the product better so the customer buys it.

Not the customer buys the product so the company can make it better.

Let me quote you what he CEO of Brondby said about this.

"The beauty of football is that normally in business you have a product and you try to sell it. You listen to the customers. But football is different. The fans, who are also the consumers, are a part of the product. When we sell sponsorship the most important aspect is the atmosphere. This has been demonstrated by two studies we have conducted. Fans are part of the product, they don’t just buy it".

Correct. Morton regularly attracted crowds of circa 3000 in the early days of the Rae era when there was a 5-year plan in place and regular communication with the fans through the medium of the Greenock Telegraph and, for example, the annual Fans' Rally. So the support is clearly out there. What is the strategy now? Why was the Fans Rally aborted? Why is the AGM now a charade with all pointed questions studiously ignored by Rae and his acolytes? Why is the Commercial Department a shambles? In my view, the answer is clear - there is a climate of total apathy at the Club from top to bottom, (Groundsman aside) and, as someone once famously said on this forum, 'a fish rots from the head'. DDF needs to understand that he is merely the current caretaker of one of Scotland's oldest football clubs. It existed way before he was born and will, hopefully, be here after he has left the stage.

Why did we have regular communication in the Telegraph, why did we have the annual fans rally (apart from to sell merchandise), why is the AGM now a charade? Could it be that because we no longer have 3000 fans at games, that  we no longer have that big a financial impact on Dougie compared to when 3000 turned up. Now that he's using his own money or to put it precisely Golden Caskets money to prop up the club he doesn't need to listen to the fans just as much.

Bunch of Skint Morons.

Ye all want someone else to save the club.

as long as ye can blame some one else.

Not a happy clapper ,by the way.

unless you can produce a certifiable millionaire shut the Fcuk up

with useless threads like this

Foobs :ph34r:

Thanks for posting twice on it.  :1eye:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Bunch of Skint Morons.

Ye all want someone else to save the club.

as long as ye can blame some one else.

Not a happy clapper ,by the way.

unless you can produce a certifiable millionaire shut the Fcuk up

with useless threads like this

^^^ idiot found

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I see anyone with a different out look is an Idiot.

"

"Your Opinion"

But opinions are like arseholes

I am the biggest one by far

Fixed  :1eye:

"

"Your Opinion"

Everyone has one

You've got to laugh at how the guy who's argument is basically "I don't like what you're saying so shut the fvck up" is criticising someone else for dismissing his opinion :1eye: .

"

"Your Opinion"

Everyone has one

You're entitled to your opinion, but if as per usual it's an idiotic one you can expect to be called an idiot for it.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Correct. Morton regularly attracted crowds of circa 3000 in the early days of the Rae era when there was a 5-year plan in place and regular communication with the fans through the medium of the Greenock Telegraph and, for example, the annual Fans' Rally. So the support is clearly out there. What is the strategy now? Why was the Fans Rally aborted? Why is the AGM now a charade with all pointed questions studiously ignored by Rae and his acolytes? Why is the Commercial Department a shambles? In my view, the answer is clear - there is a climate of total apathy at the Club from top to bottom (Groundsman aside) and, as someone once famously said on this forum, 'a fish rots from the head'. DDF needs to understand that he is merely the current caretaker of one of Scotland's oldest football clubs. It existed way before he was born and will, hopefully, be here after he has left the stage.

My opinion: 1. The internet has had an effect on crowds. Even 5/6 years ago it wasn't such a powerful tool as it is now. Then opinions and facts were given one on one in the boozer and not to a large audience on a messageboard. 2. Less money in peoples pockets against a less entertaining product on the pitch equals less people through the gates. The division in the third was a novelty in itself which in turn drew the crowds in.

Run Silent, Run Deep...

"Men who go to sea in Submarines are nothing but pirates in His Majesties uniform" Admiral of the Fleet Lord Jellicoe

"

"Your Opinion"

Everyone has one

^^^ idiot found

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived