TheMortonForum.com

Fantastic...but Not To Be

Muz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say he had a nightmare, but he was pretty poor early on. Gave the ball away too often, just looked a wee bit off the pace. Once he got into the game he was outstanding though, overall I'd say only Taggart had a better game, he's looked suspect defensively at times but he was solid tonight.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I think we had shot our bolt when extra time came and it was almost inevitable that Aberdeen would get the upper hand. A few of our players were fecked I believe. (I know I was , just watching) The only way we were going to win that was in the first 90 mins.

got to wonder how they were fitter than us - all supposed to be pro footballers at the end of the day...

do SPL players look after themselves better off the training pitch maybe?

I wouldn't say he had a nightmare, but he was pretty poor early on. Gave the ball away too often, just looked a wee bit off the pace. Once he got into the game he was outstanding though, overall I'd say only Taggart had a better game, he's looked suspect defensively at times but he was solid tonight.

Dyer is another player who came more and more into the game after a shaky start, and in the end he didn't look too troubled by that wee diving knob Hayes

What would an Aberdeen player have had to do to get a yellow card? Disgracefully inconsistent refereeing. Peter gets kicked in the, ahem, pit of the stomach and no card. Fred gets upended, no card, etc.etc.

Fred has improved the midfield already despite having no pre-season. McLaughlin is a beast - we were far more fragile after he went off.

Disappointed but if we can carry that form over to the league we are in with a shout.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Fred did lose possession often but he, along with the rest of the midfield did some amount of closing down and preventing Aberdeen getting early balls inot he box. That's what you get with him. I don't think that he looked fully fit tonight.

I think that he can iron out the mistakes this season as he'll get more options and support behind him in this team.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here, as far as I know, that will also help Fred's game, is Tidser's positioning compared to before. He hangs back a few yards from the play to see how it develops rather than diving in. This allows him to make better decisions and gives more options for the players on the ball or fighting for the ball in the middle of the park. It also lets him step in and control the situation during a midfield stramash. I'm hoping as the season progresses, he''ll get to grips with this style and we'll finally see him acheiving the potential that we know he has.

Not read any of the thread yet but I was pleased with the performance and that we had chances to win it.

Craig Reid was absolutely outstanding for me. That looks like an excellent signing already. Rutkiewicz and McLaughlin can fight it out for the other CB position for me as Reid simply has to start there!

TTG JIM!!!

Fred did lose possession often but he, along with the rest of the midfield did some amount of closing down and preventing Aberdeen getting early balls inot he box. That's what you get with him. I don't think that he looked fully fit tonight.

I don't think people here can read, as this is exactly what I meant. He gave the ball away A LOT in the first half, and we should have lost two goals from his mistakes if it wasn't for Gaston and then Reid.

He was wonderful in the second half, but sure as hell not in the first!

==============

In relation to the fitness, the difference is that Aberdeen are full time professionals, we are not really as the players at our level won't do anywhere near as much training throughout the week.

I don't think people here can read, as this is exactly what I meant. He gave the ball away A LOT in the first half, and we should have lost two goals from his mistakes if it wasn't for Gaston and then Reid.

He was wonderful in the second half, but sure as hell not in the first!

==============

In relation to the fitness, the difference is that Aberdeen are full time professionals, we are not really as the players at our level won't do anywhere near as much training throughout the week.

any reason why not?

Fred was very poor in the 1st half, i don't see how anyone can disagree with that. He always lost possession, he didn't get many tackles in and he chased the ball too much which allowed quality opposition in Aberdeen to take advantage.

But lets not forget that he hasn't had a pre-season. He's had a cameo against Hamilton up until now and that's it, so it was always going to be tough for him to find his feet.

In the second half he was absolutely outstanding though, and anyone who said we wouldn't miss him or that he's over-rated is absolutely clueless.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Disappointed with the amount of fans who left right after the 2nd goal, that team deserved a standing ovation from everyone who was there tonight.

Well done Morton, onwards and upwards!

I was disgusted with that too. It was pretty embarassing and I saw a couple of players glance over looking bemused.

Moore came across well on the radio, asked for a bit of patience from fans and chairman, we can be too negative as a club sometimes! Said Dougie has been moaning about 451 as well but again Moore says its a 433 and once he gets his players back, a settled defence, we will def be up there challenging. Also said still looking for a striker.

:lol:

Makes you wonder if its actually Dougie who wants another striker? He's every right to question the 4-5-1 though as scoring goals seems to be our achillies heel. Still unbeaten over 90mins this season, though. ^_^

got to wonder how they were fitter than us - all supposed to be pro footballers at the end of the day...

do SPL players look after themselves better off the training pitch maybe?

I don't think there's any real difference other than Aberdeen will be used to playing at a higher tempo every week. We also had long spells where we were chasing possession which takes it out you more than anything else.

Not read any of the thread yet but I was pleased with the performance and that we had chances to win it.

Craig Reid was absolutely outstanding for me. That looks like an excellent signing already. Rutkiewicz and McLaughlin can fight it out for the other CB position for me as Reid simply has to start there!

Reid was also my mom.

I don't think that's correct at all.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Disappointed with the amount of fans who left right after the 2nd goal, that team deserved a standing ovation from everyone who was there tonight.

Well done Morton, onwards and upwards!

I always leave the shed in the last couple of minutes to stand next to the exits for the final whistle. Same again last night. TBH I didn’t see that many leave the exit I was at.

This.

Very few people actually left the ground, the end of the shed/exit was absolutely packed.

edited: With the exception of the fair weather fans I'd have imagined...

I left after the second goal went in, as I had my 8 year old with me... and he should already have been home in bed - game was efectively over when the 2nd went in. I assume some others left for similar reasons, getting late.. time to get home, work in the morning.

Was impressed by Morton though, and if the were to keep up that standard/effort they'd be right up there at the end of the season.

It wasnt Morton fans that chucked it. Everyone who truly supports Morton stayed IMO. The rest are dicks.

Are you at the windup? We were good in the 2nd half of normal time and dreadful in ET. The player for the 2nd cup game running do not look fit for a 2 hour game. I was extremely happy with the 90 mins performance but I think we have a right to ask questions of a tired and quite frankly abysmal next half hour.

What a load of pish and as for the bit in bold, you're the dick making statements like that. When the second goal went in the game was burst. It was late and folk had plenty of reasons for leaving - trains, etc. in my case I had a few drop offs to make and didn't make it home until well after 11. Not that I need to explain myself to you but simply pointing out there are perfectly good reasons why folk left after the second goal and to call folk dicks just because they left of their own free will is ridiculous. I supported the the team vocally throughout and got right behind them.

As for the game itself the players gave their all with special marka to the starting back four and Fred. It was also interesting that after Peter went off we never won another single header up front. In the end losing both mcLaughlin and Peter at times when their experience would have helped had I think more of an undoing than the fitness aspect. It was clear that the players were knackered but with a bit more experience on the park for the second half of e/t we may just have held out for penalties.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

I always leave the shed in the last couple of minutes to stand next to the exits for the final whistle. Same again last night. TBH I didn’t see that many leave the exit I was at.

I don't understand that either - 3000 people isn't exactly a lot and making the cowshed look half empty to save a couple of minutes is a bit silly in my opinion but each to their own!

Anyway on the game - really enjoyable and I think having some of our key players going off injured played a big factor on Aberdeen coming into the game more and more. I think Stirling had a good game and showed he's a better option than Wallace who again had some nice touches but is far from the finished article and looked a bit out of place at times.

Fred looked knackered just after half time and got a second wind somehow and worked hard to the end. One criticism I have would be at him though as when we were defending deep in our own half he often left runners untracked although was good at what he does best in the middle of the park.

Weatherson was fantastic I though and gave the whole of the Aberdeen defence a tough game and getting through plenty of work across the front line. He got a bit of stick from guys around me but they clearly dont know football!

On the subject of fans - the same people had a go at Tidser who I also thought played well and worked as hard as I've seen him. This was in the second half of extra time when we were pushing for an equaliser and he lost possession - how a guy is supposed to keep up the same tempo for 120 minutes against a top SPL team I dont know!!

I don't understand that either - 3000 people isn't exactly a lot and making the cowshed look half empty to save a couple of minutes is a bit silly in my opinion but each to their own!

Anyway on the game - really enjoyable and I think having some of our key players going off injured played a big factor on Aberdeen coming into the game more and more. I think Stirling had a good game and showed he's a better option than Wallace who again had some nice touches but is far from the finished article and looked a bit out of place at times.

Fred looked knackered just after half time and got a second wind somehow and worked hard to the end. One criticism I have would be at him though as when we were defending deep in our own half he often left runners untracked although was good at what he does best in the middle of the park.

Weatherson was fantastic I though and gave the whole of the Aberdeen defence a tough game and getting through plenty of work across the front line. He got a bit of stick from guys around me but they clearly dont know football!

On the subject of fans - the same people had a go at Tidser who I also thought played well and worked as hard as I've seen him. This was in the second half of extra time when we were pushing for an equaliser and he lost possession - how a guy is supposed to keep up the same tempo for 120 minutes against a top SPL team I dont know!!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

The question with regards to fitness, I'd say due to how well Aberdeen kept the ball at times and the amount of running and closing them down, coupled with trying to break when we had the ball were the reasons we were out on our feet.

Superb physical effort from all the boys.

Archived