When Does The Transfer Window Open - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

When Does The Transfer Window Open

Mr.Blue

Id personally like to see a pacey striker for a different option up front and a winger come in who will perhaps give Jimbo a boot up the arse

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I think he will give Russell a chance to prove himself. If we get rid of someone else he could bring a winger in.

I suspect IF he cannot find anybody else to bring in on a short term loan, this will be the case. Who knows, he could do a Colin Stewart and turn his Morton career round given a run in the team!

I said it on a previous thread, I would love to see Swankie down the left for Morton. Somebody willing to take on their man, exactly what Grady has identified we need.

I suspect IF he cannot find anybody else to bring in on a short term loan, this will be the case. Who knows, he could do a Colin Stewart and turn his Morton career round given a run in the team!

I said it on a previous thread, I would love to see Swankie down the left for Morton. Somebody willing to take on their man, exactly what Grady has identified we need.

I think Russell deserves a shot. As for Swankie, I would love to see that signing!

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Id personally like to see a pacey striker for a different option up front and a winger come in who will perhaps give Jimbo a boot up the arse

OR, we don't sign anyone and somebody else signs Jim !!

I'd be happy enough with that B)

pen.jpg

Didn't Grady already say with regards Reid and Van Zanten that he appreciates being allowed to sign them as the chairman is already over budget?

Hanging on to DvZ would be a priority I would have thought?

And is McAlister's contract up at the end of the season? If so, time to get a fee for him if he doesn't sign a new contract (which I guess he won't)?

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

Didn't Grady already say with regards Reid and Van Zanten that he appreciates being allowed to sign them as the chairman is already over budget?

Hanging on to DvZ would be a priority I would have thought?

And is McAlister's contract up at the end of the season? If so, time to get a fee for him if he doesn't sign a new contract (which I guess he won't)?

Too late to get a fee for McAllister I would have thought so just bin him in the summer. Nowhere near as good as his agent thinks he is.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

Certain players will be punted by Grady once their contracts are up. A few are on funny money thanks to Irons.

This will free up cash to bring in the players that Grady wants.

I believe he already has an "Out" and "In" tray - although a change in form may help certain players' causes.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

QUOTE(C B @ Nov 29 2009, 07:35 PM) 674334[/snapback]OR, we don't sign anyone and somebody else signs Jim !!

I'd be happy enough with that B)

cool sig CB. we got beat 3 - 2 that day with hawke getting both iirc.

Yes, only Hawke turned up if I remember :ph34r:

pen.jpg

I reckon in January we're short of two players - a striker and a reliable attacking midfielder.

But I reckon to sign anyone, Grady will need to move players out. Apart from Harding we actually haven't got too many fringe players, so I can't see many more "volunteering" to go early. Therefore we'll need to loan out players to generate wages for anyone we bring in. On an approximate rule of thumb, to get 1 good player in I'm guessing we'd need to loan out 2 existing players; for two new players that means four sent out on loan.

Our loan players needn't be poor performers, simply those who are unlikley to get a game just now and would benefit from match experience elsewhere.

I can't see Masterton getting a game once he's fit, same with Monti based on Grady's comments about his lack of pace, and if we bring in a new striker then Graham could fall to fourth choice. I'd say Monti and Graham are worth keeping long term, but won't get many games this season, therefore they should get loaned out to free up a wage for a striker. If we can off load Masterton, then we might just be able to squeeze resources for an attacking midfielder as well.

Things then change a bit in the Summer as players fall out of contract - some may decide to seek pastures new, some can be shown the door.

As I've said elsewhere, this gives a regular squad looking like this from January:

Keepers: Stewart, Cuthbert

Full Backs: van Zanten, Reid, Walker

Centre Backs: Greacen, McGregor, Shimmin (?) - with Walker as a viable alternative

Defensive Midfielder: MacFarlane, Paartalu

Attacking Midfielder: Jenkins, +new

Wingers: McAlister, McGuffie, Finlayson

Strikers: Weatherson, Wake, +new

Too late to get a fee for McAllister I would have thought so just bin him in the summer. Nowhere near as good as his agent thinks he is.

Regardless of how good his agent thinks he is, he's one of our better players. To bin him without having a replacement of real quality lined up would be pretty silly. Even this season, when he's not been at his best, he's contributed to our better performances - QOTS away, Raith at home, and Airdrie away. Under Grady, and in a team that passes the ball with a bit of zip, he's a really useful player. Grady, from what I gather, seems to be of that opinion, so I don't think there's any danger of him being binned.

Talking of wingers . What about the left winger who is with Dumbarton and I am sure was at Kilmarnock.

If a writer of prose knows enough of what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of an ice-berg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water. A writer who omits things because he does not know them only makes hollow places in his writing.

—Ernest Hemingway

Archived