Last Match You Went To? - Page 39 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Last Match You Went To?

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spartak Trnava 2 Skalica 1

Took the short, half-hour trip up to Trnava to take in this match on Friday night. The ground was opened in August - unlike Scotland, it was built in the centre of the city, with cinema, shopping etc. restaurants in the same complex. Similar to Almondvale had a) Livingston a credible town centre and b} the shopping centre and the ground were actually the same building. 7 Euros for a ticket was taking the piss, though the view of the game is excellent down at the touchline.

Trnava aren't a very impressive side. though thanks to Slovan's implosion in terms of crowds they're comfortably the best-supported side in the country. Friday's evening kick-off attracted perhaps 2800. Skalica, an Ayr United level irrelevance whose ground doesn't seem to have the floodlights to play evening games, took 12 fans and a drum. The game became interesting largely due to a comedy Trnava backpass, which led to their goalkeeper giving Skalica a penalty and being sent off. Skalica then conspired to bottle their lead in the second half to remain anchored to the bottom of the league. A rubbish outfit who certainly won't be missed in the top flight. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Took the short, half-hour trip up to Trnava to take in this match on Friday night. The ground was opened in August - unlike Scotland, it was built in the centre of the city, with cinema, shopping etc. restaurants in the same complex. Similar to Almondvale had a) Livingston had a credible town centre and b} the shopping centre and the ground were actually the same building. 7 Euros for a ticket was taking the piss, though the view of the game is excellent down at the touchline.

Trnava aren't a very impressive side. though thanks to Slovan's implosion in terms of crowds they're comfortably the best-supported side in the country. Friday's evening kick-off attracted perhaps 2800. Skalica, an Ayr United level irrelevance whose ground doesn't seem to have the floodlights to play evening games, took 12 fans and a drum. The game became interesting largely due to a comedy Trnava backpass, which led to their goalkeeper giving Skalica a penalty and being sent off. Skalica then conspired to bottle their lead in the second half to remain anchored to the bottom of the league. A rubbish outfit who certainly won't be missed in the top flight. 

lovely report, but may I ask what you are doing out there in the first place? must be getting chilly this time of year also?

Doing research, mostly at the Slovak National Archives. It snowed a month ago while I was in the central, higher part of the country, but is very warm here again - 18C yesterday.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Took the short, half-hour trip up to Trnava to take in this match on Friday night. The ground was opened in August - unlike Scotland, it was built in the centre of the city, with cinema, shopping etc. restaurants in the same complex. Similar to Almondvale had a) Livingston a credible town centre and b} the shopping centre and the ground were actually the same building. 7 Euros for a ticket was taking the piss, though the view of the game is excellent down at the touchline.

When you say seven euro was taking the piss, was that because of the standard on display or because it was way above the normal charge for a game. What is the normal going rate ?

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

When you say seven euro was taking the piss, was that because of the standard on display or because it was way above the normal charge for a game. What is the normal going rate ?

It's the highest standard ticket price I've seen in the Slovak leagues - Trenčín, the current champions charged IIRC 5 Euros; you can get a general admission at a Slovan match for 4 Euros. The latter has a child season ticket for 20 Euros or something.

The standard is probably comparable to the Scottish Premiership, but for all the lectures about reducing the currently scandalous admission prices in Scotland, I wouldn't expect a surge of moderately interested people turning up at a lower price. That certainly doesn't work in the Slovak league - compared to the average monthly income, they're probably charging 14 quid or so. Attendances are below those of the Scottish Championship; even in a Hibs and Rangers-free version.

Similar to the Amsterdam Arena. I found it quite novel in the stadiums I had been to up until 2009 to see a shopping centre, cinemas, pubs and places to eat in a complex at the stadium albeit it's not exactly in the centre.

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

• 4 weeks later...

Slovan Bratislava 2 MSK Žilina 1 - December 6th, (Hilariously inflated) attendance: around 900 (500 at a push)

Last weekend saw the final round of fixtures for the autumn campaign, before the Fortuna Liga shuts down for the winter. Slovan's game also took place on St Nicholas' Day, when Santa figures deliver their smaller presents to children across Europe, so the kids attending this game each got a present from a club official dressed as Santa. The game was pretty good - both sides needed to win to have any chance of reaching their expectations this season, and Žilina tend to both score and concede a lot. They started the better side but went into half-time a goal down, failing to fully clear an inocuous ball into the box and being punished for it. Žilina came out and deservedly equalised early in the second half. Increasingly immobile but still excellent finisher Robert Vittek was taken off by Slovan, which proved the difference. Against pub teams they can let him stand around until they work the ball into the box, but against a side able to keep the ball they were playing with ten men. Football Manager legend and timeless journeyman Tamaš Priskin came off the bench to replace him, and his mobility helped to turn the game, Priskin himself netting the winner. As Slovan's top scorer he could well lead the line for Hungary in their humiliating failure at next summer's Euros, which says a lot about Hungarian football.

Slovan are now back within seven points of runaway leaders Trenčín, who have lost just one of their nineteen matches, and still face Slovan at home. Only a major collapse will see anyone but Trenčín winning the league. Žilina started as credible contenders themselves but are now 15 points back and will be fighting for a Europa League spot.

On the attendances front, Trnava played Slovan a few weeks previously in their new ground, and set the highest attendance for eight years, of 15,000 people. Around a hundred of them were away fans. Žilina brought about 15 away fans to Sunday's game.

• 2 weeks later...

OH Leuven 3-1 KV Mechelin, last night. Attendance about 9,000

An exciting, action packed local derby with quite a fiesty atmosphere with an assistant referee being soaked in beer and pelted with plastic glasses by the Mechelin fans for flagging a 'goal' offside (I was right in line with it and it did look like a bad decision to be fair).

First half was very even with loads of chances at both ends, and OHL could have considered themselves to be a wee bit unlucky to go in at the interval 0-1 down. Also surprising there was only one goal given the number of clear cut chances for which both keepers deserve credit for the numerous point-blank saves they pulled off.

Second half though was pretty much one way traffic with OHL scoring three and Mechelin having a man sent off. So in the end it was a relatively comfortable victory for OHL, although they still remain second bottom.

The new OHL manager Emilio Ferrara who took over four games ago has them playing a much more open an attractive style of football which could have been suicide for a team at the arse end of the league, but so far it seems to be paying dividends with two successive 5-1 and 3-1 home victories, and two narrow away defeats 2-1 at Charleroi and 3-2 at Anderlecht. Very noticeable last night was that the old atmophere that was lacking earlier in the season was back at Den Dreef, presumably because because of the more entertaining and adventurous football being played and the fact it was a local derby and near sell-out.

PS - Older board members may remember Mechelin had a very good team in the mid-to-late 80s who won the European Cup Winners Cup, beating St Mirren en route and Ajax in the final. I think they also won the European Super Cup the same year.

Here's the poor old drookit' linesman. :)

leuven mechelin.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to a professional indoor soccer, aka arena soccer, game at the end of the month. I've never actually watched a full indoor soccer game. My understanding of it is that it's very fast-paced, very high-scoring, and not very good. It's like the Masters tournaments only you don't need to be seventy to play in it.

The Dallas Sidekicks, much like FC Dallas, don't actually play in Dallas but in some distant suburb, literally 30 miles from central Dallas where I live, which is really taking the piss when it comes to the team's name. When they first reformed in 2012 they were getting crowds of 5,000 - now they don't break 2,000. Funny how that works when you try to run a team in the middle of nowhere.

EOho8Pw.png

• 2 weeks later...

OH Leuven 1-0 Kortrijk this evening, att ~7,500 (reduced capacity due to ground reconstruction)

Disappointed that the standing terracing opposite the main stand is now demolished for the first phase of major ground reconstruction. The days of standing at Den Dreef are over. :(

Anyway, not a great game but OHL ground out another hard earned victory for a very valuable 3 points that lifted them up to 3rd bottom and out of the relegation play-off place. That's three home wins in a row and they've given themselves a real fighting chance of staying up. 

Here's the goal....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E6SijoFl9M

Forfar v Linlithgow Rose take 2 tonight. Visible police presence in in view of the previous pyrotechnics but no problems this time. To make up for the lack of play last week they decided to treat us to extra time. And Kevin Kelbie scoring the winner in 115th minute.

Forfar v Linlithgow Rose take 2 tonight. Visible police presence in in view of the previous pyrotechnics but no problems this time. To make up for the lack of play last week they decided to treat us to extra time. And Kevin Kelbie scoring the winner in 115th minute.

Did you go twice?

Edit to add - yes you did :D

*insert signature here*

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

FC United of Manchester 0-1 Benfica.

Very enjoyable evening watching a Benfica B team. Some of these young lads were absolutely brilliant and the skill levels were fantastic.

All ticket sell out of 4,500. Two more promotions and it's the football league.

It's a wee shame then that since moving up from the Dog and Duck League FCUM have rather struggled. Sinking into a relegation dogfight and being hounded 5-1 by the team at the bottom of their shitey non-league this evening. No doubt the horrible, plastic fanbase will disappear like snow off a dyke as well.

Looks like "the football league" will have to wait. :lol:

I am a glory hunter though :D

Gutted for you then.

1282014053.png

Bump.

It's a wee shame then that since moving up from the Dog and Duck League FCUM have rather struggled. Sinking into a relegation dogfight and being hounded 5-1 by the team at the bottom of their s***ey non-league this evening. No doubt the horrible, plastic fanbase will disappear like snow off a dyke as well.

Looks like "the football league" will have to wait. :lol:

Gutted for you then.

1282014053.png

Where is he this weather?

*insert signature here*

Archived