Last Match You Went To? - Page 38 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Last Match You Went To?

Trenčín 5 Spartak Trnava 3, September 13th.

Entry price: €6 Pint: €1.20

Trenčín is an hour and a half north of Bratislava, and until recently was known for its big, fuck-off castle overlooking the town, a small historic centre and nothing else.  Last year the town football team completed its rise up the ranks to win the Slovak league and cup. The ground is similar to Dumbarton's bus shelter, only with an additional, open cage going round one corner for the away fans. There was a youth game taking place earlier in the day, which could be watched unrestricted from the castle which overlooks it. I'd put a photo up but for some reason the forum won't allow the size of image (what is this, 1953? Get it sorted.).

A very entertaining game. Most Slovak sides try to keep the ball on the ground and adopt a passing game, but many of them, like all crap Scottish teams, don't have the organisation and ability to keep it and create dangerous attacks. The home side are a cut above; every time they got hold of the ball, they passed it quickly across and down the park to create chances. They were always in the lead of the match (and were 3-0 up after 35 minutes) but had a very weak showing at the back, letting a few goals in under not a huge amount of pressure. They had only conceded two goals in their previous six games though, so it may well have been a bad day at the office.They're five points clear at the top already, and look fairly good value to retain their title.

Assuming the weather doesn't turn to shit at the open bowl that is Slovan's temporary ground, I'll head along to see them play Trenčín tomorrow. On the basis of what I've seen from both sides, I'd expect a comfortable away victory.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trenčín 5 Spartak Trnava 3, September 13th.

Entry price: €6 Pint: €1.20

Trenčín is an hour and a half north of Bratislava, and until recently was known for its big, ****-off castle overlooking the town, a small historic centre and nothing else. Last year the town football team completed its rise up the ranks to win the Slovak league and cup. The ground is similar to Dumbarton's bus shelter, only with an additional, open cage going round one corner for the away fans. There was a youth game taking place earlier in the day, which could be watched unrestricted from the castle which overlooks it. I'd put a photo up but for some reason the forum won't allow the size of image (what is this, 1953? Get it sorted.).

A very entertaining game. Most Slovak sides try to keep the ball on the ground and adopt a passing game, but many of them, like all crap Scottish teams, don't have the organisation and ability to keep it and create dangerous attacks. The home side are a cut above; every time they got hold of the ball, they passed it quickly across and down the park to create chances. They were always in the lead of the match (and were 3-0 up after 35 minutes) but had a very weak showing at the back, letting a few goals in under not a huge amount of pressure. They had only conceded two goals in their previous six games though, so it may well have been a bad day at the office.They're five points clear at the top already, and look fairly good value to retain their title.

Assuming the weather doesn't turn to s*** at the open bowl that is Slovan's temporary ground, I'll head along to see them play Trenčín tomorrow. On the basis of what I've seen from both sides, I'd expect a comfortable away victory.

Port ton was right all along then.

• 3 weeks later...

OH Leuven 1-1 Mouscron-Peruwelz. Attendance ~7500.

Pretty boring match, settled by two very dodgy penalties towards the end. Can't pinpoint the reason why, but the atmosphere at Den Dreef is not what it was a couple of seasons ago. The couple of hundred Mouscron fans made most of the noise. 

The beer's still good though.

Had an enjoyable time at Bellslea Park for Fraserburgh v Dalbeattie Star in 1st round of Scottish Cup. The Broch were the better team in the first half and at half time it was 3-0. After the break things transformed an Star got 2 goals back resulting in an exciting game right to the very end.

VT, I may be in Kosice for my work in a month or two's time. Will try to catch a game while I'm there but in the meantime, what the fuck is going on with Slovan's crowds? I was glancing at the Slovakia attendance figures and they get lower gates than the village clubs. An average of 1,319 so far this season! That's appallingly low for a famous capital outfit. What's the explanation?

I want to know the same thing about Dinamo Tbilisi in Georgia. Once one of the most highly-attended clubs in the old Soviet league (as recently as 1989 thir average was 20,000 and previously it was way above that), now playing in front of a few hundred. I guess the lack of glamour in the Georgian league has something to do with it, but the decline has been jaw-dropping. From 20,000 to less than 1,000 is just incredible. We talk about the lack of crowds in Scotland these days - head to Eastern Europe, where teams like Slavia Sofia (for whom I have a soft spot) remain competitive on paid gates of less than 50.

EOho8Pw.png

It turns out that they are in a 'temporary' home of the old national stadium, having moved from their old one to await the construction of a new ground, which would also be used for the national side. There's no indication that a new ground will actually be built in the near future, if at all. The stadium is easy to get to across the city, but remains a giant, Central Park-esque bowl, with no atmosphere. The fans don't seem to have taken to the move, and being a fairly average side being turned over by better-run provincial clubs probably doesn't help. With Artmedia having died more times than Rangers and now running as a youth-development based non-entity, football in Bratislava is a complete mess. Those average crowds, incidentally, are hilariously inflated either to save further embarrassment, or include free or very low price season tickets no-one is using. 7-800 is a fairer reflection of their league crowds. At four to six Euros admission.

Žilina are by all accounts the competent 'big' team and are financially very secure, Trenčín could be a flash in the pan, as their finances are murky. The only top league side in the far east is Michalovce, practically in Ukraine. Košice and Prešov must be in the league below though the locals will likely be focused on ice hockey.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Good info, cheers. Sounds like a sleeping giant situation but one with no easy fix. It's not quite comparable but I remember PSG were in a right state a while back with crowds below 30k (and many of those hooligans) bit now they're every inch the successful bourgeois club. Harder to see where success will come from for some of these eastern bloc teams, right enough.

And yeah Kosice is a hickey town for sure, with a nice new arena, but I find hockey dull so I'd rather go watch some football. Same in Katowice, a city where I've worked many times, the football now takes a back seat to things like basketball and hockey because they're played in the centre at a renovated arena (curiously all of Katowice's clubs are terrible but they do a lot of tournaments etc there.)

EOho8Pw.png

Just Googled it, apparently the main team of Kosice right now is 'spiritually' the same one that played in the Champions League in the late 90s, but had to do an Airdrie United in 2005. They play in one of those horrific shallow bowls where the pitch is a good 10,000 Sumerian cubits from the bench seats. That'll be a laugh in late November.

Edit: apparently they finished 6th in the top flight last year but didn't get a license for this year's, hence they're in the second tier. Apparently so are lokal rivals Lokomotive Kosice, whose own ground seemingly has a capacity of 600. That might be a better trip.

EOho8Pw.png

The deal for a new national stadium has been Bratislava has been given the go-ahead today: planned 20k or so stadium to be ready by the end of 2017. 

Edit: They're broadcasting an in-depth press conference about it, in which one of the Italian development partners is trying to explain why the costs for this stadium are much higher per seat than for smaller, recently built stadia. Apparently bigger stadiums need, and I'm closely paraphrasing his English here, more seats, and a bigger roof. The whole "economies of scale" concept doesn't seem to operate when constructing a football stadium, or when there's an absolute shyster with a plum contract at hand. Reckon he'll be chairman of Livingston before too long. 

The deal for a new national stadium has been Bratislava has been given the go-ahead today: planned 20k or so stadium to be ready by the end of 2017. 

Edit: They're broadcasting an in-depth press conference about it, in which one of the Italian development partners is trying to explain why the costs for this stadium are much higher per seat than for smaller, recently built stadia. Apparently bigger stadiums need, and I'm closely paraphrasing his English here, more seats, and a bigger roof. The whole "economies of scale" concept doesn't seem to operate when constructing a football stadium, or when there's an absolute shyster with a plum contract at hand. Reckon he'll be chairman of Livingston before too long.

PYEGoZXABBMuk.gif

*insert signature here*

Turns out that the budget announced for the stadium (€68 million) is already an increase of 50% on the planned costs discussed a few months ago. Between that, the comedy performance from the Italian contractor and the FA announcing it just after the national side made the Euros for the first time, I think 'seems legit' just about covers this development.

Sevilla 5 Getafe 0

A routine win for an ever improving Sevilla team. Last time I was at a Getafe match they won 2-1 with both goals coming from Roberto Soldado. How times have changed for them. A very poor show, with weak defending and nothing going forward.

Three second half penalties in this game, although it should have been four! The second time this season I have seen 3 penalties given in one game for Sevilla.

Felt a bit odd to be wearing a t-shirt in the late October evening, just can't get used to it.

Geta have downsized quite considerably over the last few years. Still enough about them to avoid relegation though.

Going to the last regular season game for FC Dallas tonight. If Dallas win versus the Earthquakes and New York fail to beat Chicago, Dallas win the Supporters Shield (regular season best team trophy.) However Chicago are absolute dung so it's a pretty unlikely outcome. Either way Dallas have won the western conference already, despite having a far lower wage bill than LA and Seattle in particular. As Western winners they'll face the winners of the 5th vs 4th-placed teams in the conference semis. Win that and it's the conference final. Win that and it's the MLS Cup final. Win that and it's the championship.

Dallas have never won the championship (or the Supporters Shield for that matter) although they have come close. Only major honor so far is the US Open Cup in 1997, beating DC United (who at the time had one of the league's bigger names, Marco Etcheverry) in the final on penalties.

EOho8Pw.png

Finished 2-1, homegrown midfielder Victor Ulloa tapping in the winner after SJ went down to ten men for an off the ball incident that nobody around me even saw. 30 minutes later and we're still none the wiser.

Chicago pulled one back at home to NYRB but it wasn't enough - NYRB win the regular season on goal difference from Dallas.

EOho8Pw.png

Rapid Vienna 1 Austria Vienna 2

A city derby in front of 32,000 spectators at the Ernst-Happel Stadion. They clearly could hve sold more, but restricted the away tickets to 2,000 at a push (cue swoons of outrage for the Morton fans who bizarrely insist that we're duty-bound to turn over half the Cowshed for a handful of away bumpkins' pleasure each fortnight). Neither team looked impressive - Rapid had more of the ball but did next to nothing with it and their set-pieces routinely failed to beat the first man. Austria Vienna done them from a set-piece goal in the first half, then scored on the counter-attack in the 89th minute.

In conclusion - Jim Duffy has an equally inept, Austrian cousin.

• 2 weeks later...

Sevilla 1 Man City 3

That was my first time seeing Manchester City in the flesh, and I was impressed.

They have some real athletes in that team, and made easy meat of Sevilla tonight.

It annoys me a bit how much their team cost to assemble, but the tactics employed by Pellegrini tonight were spot on.

Based on tonight, they could be a good shout for winning the competition

Archived