Last Match You Went To? - Page 41 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Last Match You Went To?

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, I don't 'support' them, I just like watching live football, that's all. I've also been to Anderlecht, Gent, Genk and Standard Liege, but I don't support any of them either. Of course I go to watch OH Leuven a lot more often because they're almost literally on my doorstep, and when you watch a team regularly you do build a certain amount of affinity for them. But that doesn't make me a fan. Not even close.

Firstly you claimed to know the industry that I've worked 30-odd years in better than me. Then you claimed to know the city I've worked in for 9 years, and currently live in, better than me. Now you claim you know ME better than me.  :lol:

You're some man right enough VT. :)

Gonk, that's a stupid fucking name for a Football team.

*insert signature here*

Genk was actually only inhabited in 1987 and the football club was founded shortly after. It was going to be Belgium's only paedophile-free city but that title was lost shortly after the third resident moved in (a guy named Henricus.)

EOho8Pw.png

Genk was actually only inhabited in 1987 and the football club was founded shortly after. It was going to be Belgium's only paedophile-free city but that title was lost shortly after the third resident moved in (a guy named Henricus.)

I'm sure that was hilarious in yer heid when you typed it out.  :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Man City v PSG CL quarter final
first time managed to fit a trip for a game since the south stand extension completed - and from the north stand it looks impressive. don't see the other end being done cause no need unless they sort out the continued rise in individual ticket prices to the levels of one off stadium concert tickets. Sergio having a howler from the spot killed the early atmosphere and a lot of the game was just tense. Explosion of noise when winner went in.

Not read or seen any reports yet - but mom for me was Joe Hart. Saved the back line too many times with great stops - and the two he did not get fortunately the linesman was having a better day than the ref.

Unless improve hugely for the semi-finals (or Hart has 2 more blinders) its hard to see the team progressing further as despite the win the defense is still a problem and the PSG keeper never made a save (one shot on target that he missed :) )

• 4 weeks later...

East Stirlingshire 0-1 Edinburgh City.

After going to last season's Montrose v Brora game hoping to see a bit of history, it was second time lucky yesterday. An absolutely abysmal game of football however, between two dreadful teams, but Edinburgh certainly deserved their win. Thomas Orr didn't really get much of a sniff for East Stirling and was eventually substituted after an hour. East Stirling possibly had the better of the first half, with Edinburgh creating the better chances, but Edinburgh totally dominated the second.

I stuck a tenner on 0-0 with about 20 minutes to go as I just couldn't see where a goal was coming from but was actually relieved to see the penalty get awarded as I'd have struggled to watch another 30 minutes of that. The bit bit about it was the scenes at the end and involving the Edinburgh players and fans, but it was also interesting to see the East Stirling fans' reaction in the OChilview Bar at full time.

It was difficult not to have sympathy for them, but from an outsider looking in it's good to see a new name in the league and the pyramid system producing it's first victim. East Stirling have been festering at the bottom for as long as I remember, so I suppose it was inevitable that they'd be the first to go. Montrose next, please.

How did the Shire fans react after?

There was no real reaction at full time but as I said, there were a few in the pub after the game.

I got the impression of a grudging acceptance, and a fear of what the future might hold. Spoke to some of them but didn't really want to gatecrash their wake so tried to mind my own business as much as possible. I really can't see them coming up straight away, and the longer they're out the league, the more their chances of returning will diminish, especially if other established league clubs fall in years to come, The parachute payment should tide them over next season, but their medium-long term future, especially with no home to call their own, must be a major concern.

Yeah, it's really difficult to see a way back for them. They have been around the league for an extremely long time so it's sad to see them go, but the pyramid was designed to give those clubs with ambition something to aim for. The Shire have a tiny but dedicated fan base - is that going to be enough going forward? Without their own home in Bainsford where will the next generation of fans come from? It's just really hard to see anything but a slide into even deeper obscurity when you look at some of the other clubs in the LL and HL.

EOho8Pw.png

Yeah, it's really difficult to see a way back for them. They have been around the league for an extremely long time so it's sad to see them go, but the pyramid was designed to give those clubs with ambition something to aim for. The Shire have a tiny but dedicated fan base - is that going to be enough going forward? Without their own home in Bainsford where will the next generation of fans come from? It's just really hard to see anything but a slide into even deeper obscurity when you look at some of the other clubs in the LL and HL.

There is something about this Lowland League set-up which I dont like.  Its a different kettle of fish from the Highland Leagues, and I doubt very much that it represents the best of Non-league football which the central belt, Ayrshire or southern Scotland has to offer.  I dont think that someone like, say, BSC Glasgow or Whitehill Welfare would be able to offer the senior game anything which a more established Juniors outfit like Pollok or Arthurlie couldn't.

*insert signature here*

The Juniors have their own thing going and seem quite happy with it. Pollok and Arthurlie can apply for senior status if they want to, but they don't. I do wonder if the Junior game will ever be integrated - one day, perhaps, but not soon.

EOho8Pw.png

I think it's very much a case of "Rome wasn't built in a day".

The juniors, for the time being at least, don't want to be involved. I'd have liked to have seen them stripped of their right to enter the Scottish Cup and told to train their own referees if they don't want to join the party, but whilst the pyramid isn't perfect, it's getting there and in the long run hopefully will include everyone. Cutting them off completely would be satisfying from a GIRUY perspective, but ultimately I'd like to see them in rather than out.

In the two years of the pyramid, we've seen the first team threatened with their league status in Montrose (and having been at their play off last year, their fans were shiting it) and then the first team relegated in East Stirling. That can only be a good thing. However, I think it's the likes of Linlithgow and Auchinleck, rather than Pollok and Arthurlie that would be more likely to make an impact. I know Pollok are in this season's Junior Cup Final, but that's the first time that's happened in nigh on 20 years. They're no longer the power in non-league football they used to be.

Another problem is the breakdown of the population and the spread of clubs. If the juniors were to join, North, West and East leagues might be the way to go, with the three champions going in with the bottom League Two team for the play offs, and two semis and a final. And we'd probably find that up north there aren't as many clubs, making relegation from what is now the Highland League difficult. So, a team from Aberdeen joining at the bottom of the pyramid could in theory get promoted into the league a couple of years quicker than one from Glasgow as a result of geography. Surely that's unfair.

An interesting few years ahead though, and hopefully a few league clubs going down to mix it up a bit more.

Regionalization is difficult for sure, but it's difficult everywhere. The English have done an extremely good job of it, but then again England is densely populated. Germany also does it well but league football in Germany only went national well after WW2. We can do it in Scotland but it would need to be a mix of existing football regions plus some new ideas.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived