Development Squad Thread - Page 18 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Development Squad Thread

TRVMP

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes we are in the second tier of Project Brave.

Basically it runs from March to November, they play all the teams in the 2nd tier for the 1st 3 months, March to May, then June to September they play the Elite tier, Old Firm, Hearts, Aberdeen etc then the last 3 months they go back to playing teams in their own league again. Positively our youngsters are holding there own.

The U’16’s for instance have won 6 and only lost one of there 7 matches so far against teams in theIr Progressive Performance League. Playing against higher standard opposition will hopefully help the standard throughout the academy.

So, we are not promoted to the second league?

Be a step up for the boys.

A general observation linked to the pro youth set-up in Scotland.

In what way does it make any sense at all for 9 year olds to have to travel from Greenock to Dingwall for a midday kick-off?

Who in Scottish football actually thinks this kind of thing makes any sense/will help the game improve? Families are having to make a choice of getting up in the middle of the night, before making a long journey, or have the expense of an overnight stay in advance, for their P5 kids to play football for an hour (maybe 15 minutes if they're a sub!)

Was stunned when I heard this kind of journey was having to be made by such young kids in our pro youth set-up. Madness.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

In what way does it make any sense at all for 9 year olds to have to travel from Greenock to Dingwall for a midday kick-off?

Who in Scottish football actually thinks this kind of thing makes any sense/will help the game improve? Families are having to make a choice of getting up in the middle of the night, before making a long journey, or have the expense of an overnight stay in advance, for their P5 kids to play football for an hour (maybe 15 minutes if they're a sub!)

Was stunned when I heard this kind of journey was having to be made by such young kids in our pro youth set-up. Madness.

In the case of your kids it'll allow them to get away from you for a whole day, so that's a bonus - but you're looking at this the wrong way around. The question is, do the SFA think the youth of Ross County should be restricted to only playing their local opponents (or away games), and is that good for their development? The idea instead is that County's youth deserve the chance to test themselves against the best, most of whom are in the Central Belt.

If any club doesn't like that, they can leave the pro youth setup and play locally, as hundreds of boys' clubs do across the country.

EOho8Pw.png

In the case of your kids it'll allow them to get away from you for a whole day, so that's a bonus - but you're looking at this the wrong way around. The question is, do the SFA think the youth of Ross County should be restricted to only playing their local opponents (or away games), and is that good for their development? The idea instead is that County's youth deserve the chance to test themselves against the best, most of whom are in the Central Belt.

If any club doesn't like that, they can leave the pro youth setup and play locally, as hundreds of boys' clubs do across the country.

How often would the youngsters of Greenock be expected to traipse all the way up to Dingwall?

*insert signature here*

Christ almighty.

The poor kids. An 8 hour round trip will be the end of them.

Catch a grip

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Christ almighty.

The poor kids. An 8 hour round trip will be the end of them.

Catch a grip

You think it's sensible? The parents of the kids involved don't, but they feel obliged to support it... or their kids would have to drop out.

Regionalise national cup competitions, but no attempt to regionalise primary school age football... weird.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

You think it's sensible? The parents of the kids involved don't, but they feel obliged to support it... or their kids would have to drop out.

Regionalise national cup competitions, but no attempt to regionalise primary school age football... weird.

Who finances the away trips, parents or club?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Who finances the away trips, parents or club?

The parent I was speaking to said they felt they had no option but to travel up the night before, as their kid would have been no state to do anything if they'd dragged him out of bed at 6am for a long journey... so out of pocket for an overnight stay and petrol money to Dingwall. He was saying it was 'mental'...

The parent I was speaking to said they felt they had no option but to travel up the night before, as their kid would have been no state to do anything if they'd dragged him out of bed at 6am for a long journey... so out of pocket for an overnight stay and petrol money to Dingwall. He was saying it was 'mental'...

Does the club finance the away trips though, not just to Dingwall but to Ayr, Glasgow etc?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

So now we've gone from "getting up in the middle of the night" to getting up at 6am, which is a perfectly reasonable time to get out of bed as long as the kid isn't staying up all night, which at the age of 9 he shouldn't be doing anyway.

Beyond the noon kickoff I'm really struggling to see a problem here since it's not exactly every week, is it?

EOho8Pw.png

So now we've gone from "getting up in the middle of the night" to getting up at 6am, which is a perfectly reasonable time to get out of bed as long as the kid isn't staying up all night, which at the age of 9 he shouldn't be doing anyway.

Beyond the noon kickoff I'm really struggling to see a problem here since it's not exactly every week, is it?

Ehm... assuming you're not a parent. 6am reasonable for a 9 year old to get out of bed for a game of football, when they likely get up at 8am to go to school? Ok.

Thinking on it, 6am wouldn't be early enough to get to Dingwall for 11am (an hour before ko), no way you'd manage the trip with a kid without stopping, so nearer 5am would have been needed... no wonder they chose to go the night before.

I'll go along with the parent who thought it was 'mental'.  They had two long trips within a few weeks, which basically wrecked the family weekends. 

Ehm... assuming you're not a parent. 6am reasonable for a 9 year old to get out of bed, when they likely get up at 8am to go to school? Ok...

I'll go along with the parent who thought it was 'mental'.  They had two long trips within a few weeks, which basically wrecked the family weekends...

It's two hours. It's not the middle of the night. A noon kickoff isn't ideal but again - why shouldn't County get to play against other top sides at home?

EOho8Pw.png

How often would the youngsters of Greenock be expected to traipse all the way up to Dingwall?

The kids travel up once only to Dingwall and play the return in Greenock, ie... home and away, that’s it. Same with Inverness, Partick, St Johnstone, St Mirren & all the others tier 2 teams.

Does the club finance the away trips though, not just to Dingwall but to Ayr, Glasgow etc?

The club runs a coach to the further flung areas from Perth onwards.

The parents take the kids to the central belt games, the same as parents do in the Paisley Johnstone & District, Glasgow, Lanarkshire leagues etc.

Ehm... assuming you're not a parent. 6am reasonable for a 9 year old to get out of bed for a game of football, when they likely get up at 8am to go to school? Ok.

Thinking on it, 6am wouldn't be early enough to get to Dingwall for 11am (an hour before ko), no way you'd manage the trip with a kid without stopping, so nearer 5am would have been needed... no wonder they chose to go the night before.

I'll go along with the parent who thought it was 'mental'. They had two long trips within a few weeks, which basically wrecked the family weekends.

Wrecked the family weekend 😂😂😂😂😂

It's a game of footie - they're not being sent to war ffs. At that age, I doubt it makes much difference whatsoever. I'd have loved the occasion of going with all my team mates on a jaunt for a game of football.

Mo Salah used to travel 4 hours to and 4 hours back from training every day; that's the sort of dedication required to reach the top.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Archived