Gigs In 2013 - Page 4 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Gigs In 2013

cmdc

Simple Minds were unreal last night - The Olympia really suited them - snake hips was on top form. Great crowd, only downer was there was no Chelsea Girl on the playlist. Oh and the queue for the mens toilets - wtf is that all about.

Make them a must see when they hit Scotland.

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw the Frantic Four a couple of weeks ago at the 02 Academy - two nights of heavy rocking.

Chas n Dave at the 02 abc this Sunday! Totally underrated musicians.

Poor old Standman, born without the music gene. :P

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Chas n Dave were great tonight.

:blink: R u for real??

including attractive girls in their twenties( bonus!!)

Didn't you notice they're adams apple?

The whole place was bouncing at Rabbi

:lol:

Proper gig

RIP New Order...

• 2 weeks later...

Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra last night. Just as I suspected it was for the most part pretty boring, there's only so much boogie woogie piano a guy can take! But the evening was saved by two moments of brilliance, Gilson Lavis' 5 minute drum solo was sublime... I'd go as far to say the best I've ever heard! Then the godfather of ska Rico Rodriguez sang a version of Pretend that would have brought a tear to a glass eye. So, all in all, it wasn't so bad after all. Here's Gilson's drum solo filmed by my good lady wife....

KIoJ-Xy9I98

Chvrches next.... really looking forward to that one!

James and echo and the bunnymen last night was superb. Adam green and binki shapiro at the arches on Friday was even better though - was like a gig in a living room and one of the best atmospheres I've experienced watching bands.

James and echo and the bunnymen last night was superb.

Was EATBM with or without Ian McCulloch? Reason I ask is that Ian McCulloch is playing here in Leuven next month, and it's advertised as 'Ian McCulloch (Echo & the Bunnymen)'. Definitely going to it but I'm interested to know if it's the same gig you saw.

Was EATBM with or without Ian McCulloch? Reason I ask is that Ian McCulloch is playing here in Leuven next month, and it's advertised as 'Ian McCulloch (Echo & the Bunnymen)'. Definitely going to it but I'm interested to know if it's the same gig you saw.

Yeah it was with him - just listed as echo and the bunnymen last night though.

• 4 weeks later...
Chvrches tomorrow night on the same set as La Femme and Pale Grey, really looking forward to it!

Pale Grey (Belgian but sing in English) were a pleasant surprise, I'd only heard a couple of their songs on the radio before tonight and wasn't that impressed, but they're excellent live. 7/10.

Chvrches fully lived up to expectations, 8/10. Go see them of you can.

But I have to say, La Femme stole the show. Like Pale Grey I knew next to nothing about them before tonight (was really just there to see Chvrches), but they were superb. They also had the best crowd response (though Chvrches weren't far behind). 9/10.

iMDwrnLrdgs

All in all, a good night.

I have fallen so far away from the music scene that it really does make me sad! I mean, I remember when Mr McArthur starred in a rather gritty pop combo that went by the name of "Distemper"!! Now that was when pop music was pop!!!!

ETA.....Was thinking of popping along to see Tom Hingley of "Inspirals" fame tomorrow in the Darroch Bar, could be a good night!

RIP New Order...

• 2 weeks later...

Journey - Great, as usual, last night. Shame the crowd at the barn was absolutely awful. Filled with geriatrics, hopefully next time they play at the Hydro so there is proper standing facilities.

Whitesnake - Done I'm afraid, was just like listening to the CD, no performance whatsoever.

Thunder - I only heard a couple of songs, neither of which were Love Walked In, so no real interest.

Journey - Great, as usual, last night. Shame the crowd at the barn was absolutely awful. Filled with geriatrics, hopefully next time they play at the Hydro so there is proper standing facilities.

Whitesnake - Done I'm afraid, was just like listening to the CD, no performance whatsoever.

Thunder - I only heard a couple of songs, neither of which were Love Walked In, so no real interest.

They just wandered onto the stage with no noticeable intro and launched straight into Separate Ways. The sound was awful and to me it sounded like everything was muffled and lifeless.

They were just bad on all levels. The sound : the lack of rapport with the audience : the bands demeanour on stage : when you could hear the guitar it seemed to me he was soloing over everything, people everywhere were sitting down or worse actually leaving in large numbers.Yes I have watched Journey a countless number of times,even back to the days when they had a REAL singer in Steve Perry.Last was the worst ever.Oh and Thunder and Whitesnake were a great deal better than Journey.Maybe just a bad day at the office.Very unlike them.

Got tickets for ATP in November, curated by Television who will be playing Marquee Moon in full. Can't wait! One of the best festivals about - shame this is its last hurrah.

Archived