Hall Of Fame - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hall Of Fame

Dr Zhivago

Was reading how Raith Rovers have established a Hall of Fame. They had a big event in the town to kick things off. Lots of old players along, marking their place in club history.

Reading about it, it sounded a great idea...

Another idea our club, Dougie, knocked back some time ago :( :(

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Was reading how Raith Rovers have established a Hall of Fame.

:unsure:

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Another idea our club, Dougie, knocked back some time ago :( :(

Really? Sad. So many worthy candidates. Can't see it being anything other than a positive thing to have.

McGraw, Ritchie, Holmes, Alexander, Rajamaki, Lindberg. It would be great to have a night to celebrate the achievements of these players.. and many more.

One name that obviously springs to mind is Alan McGraw. Although, if I'm right, he doesn't have the best of relationships with Dougie?? Perhaps that could be one of the reasons for knocking back the idea. Also, Super Ro might be controversial too.. :rolleyes:

Was reading how Raith Rovers have established a Hall of Fame. They had a big event in the town to kick things off. Lots of old players along, marking their place in club history.

Reading about it, it sounded a great idea...

Really? Sad. So many worthy candidates. Can't see it being anything other than a positive thing to have.

McGraw, Ritchie, Holmes, Alexander, Rajamaki, Lindberg. It would be great to have a night to celebrate the achievements of these players.. and many more.

One name that obviously springs to mind is Alan McGraw. Although, if I'm right, he doesn't have the best of relationships with Dougie?? Perhaps that could be one of the reasons for knocking back the idea. Also, Super Ro might be controversial too.. :rolleyes:

Dougie and Allan had a good chat at the fans game , didnt seem to be any bad blood . I really didnt expect to see that convo but they chatted away for some time

I pitched this idea to the trust about 3 years ago and we passed it to the club for permission and it was knocked back , We did raise it again recently but have not heard back

It was the same time I pitched the half time crossbar challenge that loads of clubs now seem to do , Could be a good wee earner SMS man of Match £1 a vote or the way dumbarton done it with a ticket you can buy at the ground and its drawn before kick off .

yes_to_a_just_scotland_cover.jpg?itok=zU

Dougie and Allan had a good chat at the fans game , didnt seem to be any bad blood . I really didnt expect to see that convo but they chatted away for some time

I pitched this idea to the trust about 3 years ago and we passed it to the club for permission and it was knocked back , We did raise it again recently but have not heard back

It was the same time I pitched the half time crossbar challenge that loads of clubs now seem to do , Could be a good wee earner SMS man of Match £1 a vote or the way dumbarton done it with a ticket you can buy at the ground and its drawn before kick off .

Thought that was a great idea, especially with both sets of fans involved.

No offence, but why should Rajamaki,and Lindberg be celebrated, as much as I liked the guys, they never played in the top tier in scottish football. The whole of the 78-79 team would come well before them. Here are some real hall of fame candidates; Conaghan, Holmes ,Hayes,Orr, McLaughlin, Scott, Rooney,Millar,Russell,Peanut, Thomson, God, Big Hutch,and not forgetting Billy MacLaren for the novelty factor.Several Danish internationals, Erik, Borge, Per, Kai etc, Harper, Jordan, Hopkin, who all played for Scotland should be in there too, although I never saw Jordan kick a ball for the ton, plus many others!

No offence, but why should Rajamaki,and Lindberg be celebrated, as much as I liked the guys, they never played in the top tier in scottish football. The whole of the 78-79 team would come well before them. Here are some real hall of fame candidates; Conaghan, Holmes ,Hayes,Orr, McLaughlin, Scott, Rooney,Millar,Russell,Peanut, Thomson, God, Big Hutch,and not forgetting Billy MacLaren for the novelty factor.Several Danish internationals, Erik, Borge, Per, Kai etc, Harper, Jordan, Hopkin, who all played for Scotland should be in there too, although I never saw Jordan kick a ball for the ton, plus many others!

Some of us aren't fortunate enough to have seen Morton at such a high level, that's why. In the same breath, many of us have seen plenty Rajamaki and Lindberg but can only go on stories from older generations. To play Devil's Advocate why should guys who were up and down between the top and 2nd tier of an 18 and 20 team league be celebrated the way guys from a team that was so unfortunate to make it into the top ten the way Rajamaki and Lindbergs' side were?

The Hall of Fame set-up would have to include players from a variety of eras. Naturally our age plays a part in the players we remember, so players from the Scottish Cup winning team for instance would have to be named as well as the more recent generations most of us know.

It would be a good thing for the club to do, we'd just have to be careful who organised the events. :ph34r:

I'd love to have you both for dinner

Some of us aren't fortunate enough to have seen Morton at such a high level, that's why. In the same breath, many of us have seen plenty Rajamaki and Lindberg but can only go on stories from older generations. To play Devil's Advocate why should guys who were up and down between the top and 2nd tier of an 18 and 20 team league be celebrated the way guys from a team that was so unfortunate to make it into the top ten the way Rajamaki and Lindbergs' side were?

I agree. Many players will have made an impact on fans despite not being in teams challenging in the top div. Equally I've seen plenty who did play in the top div who never stuck in the mind as being anything other than ordinary. Let the fans decide who merits the recognition.

Ok fair dos! Lindberg was a decent player, but Rajamaki was average. Mahood, Mcinnes, Lilley, Hawke, would all be in my hall of fame before Rajamaki. He stood out because of his appearance, not his footballing ability.

:unsure:

why use the unsure smiley? - just cause we dont know their players, I am sure their fans have a list of names they would easily call out as hall of famers in Raith terms.

and lets be honest - they have been in the top league more recently than us, they have won a national cup more recently than us and then played in europe and did not bad given their budget and who they faced.

Ok fair dos! Lindberg was a decent player, but Rajamaki was average. Mahood, Mcinnes, Lilley, Hawke, would all be in my hall of fame before Rajamaki. He stood out because of his appearance, not his footballing ability.

that's just grossly unfair. rajamaki was a great player for us. plenty of assists and goals in a very tough league. his appearance never came into it for me.

that's just grossly unfair. rajamaki was a great player for us. plenty of assists and goals in a very tough league. his appearance never came into it for me.

Before we go any further, I liked Rajamaki! Guys like Lilley, McInnes, Mahood, Hopkin, would be in my hall of fame for that era.They were all good players and went on to gain lucrative contracts down south, whereas Marko went on to play for two mediocre scottish sides.

Before we go any further, I liked Rajamaki! Guys like Lilley, McInnes, Mahood, Hopkin, would be in my hall of fame for that era.They were all good players and went on to gain lucrative contracts down south, whereas Marko went on to play for two mediocre scottish sides.

he id get international caps when he was at the club Guys like Lilley, McInnes, Mahood, Hopkin did not

I am dyslexic and I am getting tired of your shirt

Rajamaki left Morton at the age of 29, did you really expect a massive club to come in for him? He was approaching the autumn of his career whilst Mahood was 18 when he went to Forest, Hopkin was 22 when he went to Chelsea, McInnes was 24 when he went to Rangers and Lilley was 23 when he left for dirty Leeds.

You're comparing apple with pears. If you want to use that criteria, you could also say that Rajamaki won more international caps (16) than those four (Hopkin, 7 and McInnes 2) put together.

We're talking about a guy's contribution to Morton though, and in the 1995-96 team, Rajamaki was, along with Lilley, Hawke, McInnes (briefly), Lindberg and Mahood, an undoubted star.

Rajamaki left Morton at the age of 29, did you really expect a massive club to come in for him? He was approaching the autumn of his career whilst Mahood was 18 when he went to Forest, Hopkin was 22 when he went to Chelsea, McInnes was 24 when he went to Rangers and Lilley was 23 when he left for dirty Leeds.

You're comparing apple with pears. If you want to use that criteria, you could also say that Rajamaki won more international caps (16) than those four (Hopkin, 7 and McInnes 2) put together.

We're talking about a guy's contribution to Morton though, and in the 1995-96 team, Rajamaki was, along with Lilley, Hawke, McInnes (briefly), Lindberg and Mahood, an undoubted star.

and not as morton players

I am dyslexic and I am getting tired of your shirt

Archived