Holland Vs Scotland - Page 6 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Holland Vs Scotland

Of course I would be delighted if they could pull off another miracle. I remember that night inside the Parc Des Princes vividly. :) But the main thing is beating Iceland, and if Ferguson has to miss Saturday to be fit for the match in Glasgow a week from now? That's what he has to do be advised to do.

It is an exciting fixture though, and to everyone travelling, have a great time!

Agree with all of that. Was also lucky enough to be in Paris that night as well and will never ever forget it.

Hope all the troops firing out to Amsterdam have a top time :D

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If all else fails have a go at the easy target eh! Ferguson is probably the best example in Scotland of a guy who has taken injection after injection in order to play competitive games through injury when he shouldn't have. That's why he ended up having to eventually miss an entire pre season for surgery and that has undoubtedly been a factor in his indifferent form this season. I hope he plays but certainly not at the expense of jeopardising his fitness for next Wednesday.

Michael Stewart would be a good call-up - I think he has the swagger and self-belief to feel that he belongs at this level, and sometimes that seems like a big part of going out and actually doing it. He'd relish the challenge of being involved.

On Berra, I don't have many worries about him, I think he's mature, fairly solid and is a better player than Andy Webster was when Vogts drafted him in during 2003 (and he performed with great credit).

On the goalkeeping front, I'd back Burley's decision here. Gordon is out of form and has been creeping about reserve games for Sunderland. Allan McGregor deserves his chance and to go and exclude him - after a precedent was set with Kris Boyd - would have been wrong.

I was actually thinking about that the other day in relation to Berra starting. I was at the 1-1 draw with Germany in 2003 and I distinctly remember being astonished when Webster was read out in the starting XI at Hampden that day - but he was excellent. Hopefully Berra could do something similar.

I remember listening to this interview on the BBC website with Michael Stewart, it was about his recall to the Scotland squad for the match against Northern Ireland - after a six year absence - and although he was realistic that he might struggle to get included in future squads he did sound like he'd love to be involved.

I would like to see Kevin McDonald promoted from the under-21 squad.

If Burley really felt he couldn't pick Gordon, he should be picking Marshall. McGregor's an over rated goalkeeper who's just not good enough. :(

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If Burley really felt he couldn't pick Gordon, he should be picking Marshall. McGregor's an over rated goalkeeper who's just not good enough. :(

He's better than Marshall :P

I actually dont mind McGregor. Gordon is far superior in just about every aspect of his game but if hes naw fit hes naw fit. McGregor is the obvious replacement

I'm smart and I want respect!

Sky Sports News just reported that Gordon and Hutton wont start on Saturday :(

So who plays at right back?? Presumably Whittaker, who, given his late call-up, is the third choice.

Did Burley give any explanation at all?

It's getting fcking worse and Burley is doing us no favours whatsoever by dropping Gordon for McGregor. What a moron.

I agree. Craig Gordon is a much, much better goalkeeper than McGregor. Now I've said that, McGregor will probably go on to have a stormer, but still.

As for replacement defenders, Lee Wilkie is being rather bizzarely over-looked as an option.

AWMSC

i personally dont rate berra

Any time I've seen Berra this season, a couple of times of TV, (Highlights don't count...) he's been pretty solid.

Especially given he has to cover for some bombscares in the Jambos back line!

The twice I went to Tynecastle this season, he was out and you could see how badly they miss him!

So who plays at right back?? Presumably Whittaker, who, given his late call-up, is the third choice.

Did Burley give any explanation at all?

I agree. Craig Gordon is a much, much better goalkeeper than McGregor. Now I've said that, McGregor will probably go on to have a stormer, but still.

As for replacement defenders, Lee Wilkie is being rather bizzarely over-looked as an option.

Good shout actually. Even if he was in the squad he'd be little more than a sub. Berra would be my shout for it and Caldwell is the best central defender Scotland has IMO, especially this season. Berra may even turn out a better shout than McManus even though I like him as Berra is alot more pacey and thats gonna be needed in barrell loads on Saturday.

In saying that...nowhere has Burley said Berra will be the replacement and he does tend to pull some clangers oot the bag as far as team selection goes ^_^

He's better than Marshall :P

I actually dont mind McGregor. Gordon is far superior in just about every aspect of his game but if hes naw fit hes naw fit. McGregor is the obvious replacement

For me, Alexander is better than either of them... if Gordon is not going to be the one picked!

For me, Alexander is better than either of them... if Gordon is not going to be the one picked!

yer prob right but imagine the bitchin n moanin if he did get the nod n done s***e :P

Scott Brown can produce something unimaginable. The guy is an outstanding footballer!

A bit OTT at this stage I reckon. he's good, certainly. But he doesn't pass the ball particularly well, and in the Champions League or in big internationals that's something he is going to have to work hard to rectify. That said, he definitely has something that sets him apart from most SPL midfielders.

A bit OTT at this stage I reckon. he's good, certainly. But he doesn't pass the ball particularly well, and in the Champions League or in big internationals that's something he is going to have to work hard to rectify. That said, he definitely has something that sets him apart from most SPL midfielders.

Him and Fletcher must start. Ferguson while a good servant to Scotland is becoming a liability with his negative play. We must take the game to them otherwise we will get ripped a new one.

I think Allan McGregor has earned his chance, don't see why anyone would be worried about him being in goal for us? He will be kept busy and he'll cope with most of it well IMO. He is getting regular first team football, hasn't really been cause of goals against Rangers either, and that is a better yardstick for Burley to use considering Gordon is no longer number one at Sunderland. I'd be more worried about the 4 guys in front of him!

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Him and Fletcher must start.

His massive EIGHT goals this season make him almost impossible to leave out.

Hell if he's even beating Ryan McGuffie (by one), give him the shirt now and shoot the others, they will not be required...

This is who I reckon will play the dutch

McGregor

Alexander

Berra

Caldwell

Naysmith

Morrison

Brown

Ferguson

D. Fletcher

S. Fletcher

Miller

==============

If somehow McManus becomes available he'll be swapped with Berra but I don't see it. Im also putting Steven Fletcher in as a winger as i think this might be what Burley will do. Might even be McCormack instead of him.

McGregor

Alexander

Berra

Caldwell

Naysmith

Morrison

Brown

Ferguson

D. Fletcher

S. Fletcher

Miller

==============

If somehow McManus becomes available he'll be swapped with Berra but I don't see it. Im also putting Steven Fletcher in as a winger as i think this might be what Burley will do. Might even be McCormack instead of him.

I don't think that Fletcher will play wide left, I think Morrison will be out there with Whittaker on the right hand side. Other than that, you're probably spot on.

I don't think that Fletcher will play wide left, I think Morrison will be out there with Whittaker on the right hand side. Other than that, you're probably spot on.

:lol: i forgot about Whittaker was a late callup actually. Wouldnt have too many gripes wi him playing since hed help in defence. I like Steven Fletcher though...so im gonna guess he plays :lol:

McGregor

Alexander

Berra

Caldwell

Naysmith

Morrison

Brown

Ferguson

D. Fletcher

S. Fletcher

Miller

I thought Miller was out? I'd switch Morrison for McCormack, put Whittaker at right mid and Fletcher up front. Morrisson is dire.

AWMSC

Archived