Holland Vs Scotland - Page 4 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Holland Vs Scotland

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
neither did Iwelumo but it didn't stop Burley putting him on in a must win game

thats why i put it in quotations :P its an excuse managers tend to pull out the bag sometimes. I like him n see no reason why he shouldnt be put on the left if injuries do hold us back a bit

I'm smart and I want respect!

The Netherlands v Scotland

Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam

Saturday, 28th March, 2009 - Kick-off 8.45 pm

Scotland v Iceland

The National Stadium, Hampden Park, Glasgow

Wednesday 1st April, 2009 - Kick-off 8pm

George Burley has named his 26-man squad to face The Netherlands and Iceland in the forthcoming World Cup qualification matches.

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

David Marshall (Norwich City)

Defenders

Graham Alexander (Burnley)

Darren Barr (Falkirk)

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton W.)

Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers)

Gary Caldwell (Celtic)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)

Jamie McAllister (Bristol City)

Stephen McManus (Celtic)

Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United)

David Weir (Rangers)

Midfield

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Kris Commons (Derby County)

Barry Ferguson (Rangers)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Paul Hartley (Celtic)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Gavin Rae (Cardiff City)

Gary Teale (Derby County)

Forwards

David Clarkson (Motherwell)

Steven Fletcher (Hibernian)

Chris Iwelumo (Wolverhampton W.)

Ross McCormack (Cardiff City)

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

Just copying and pasting the squad from the e-mail I received from the SFA today. Yes he is.

got same e-mail later that day when i checked :)

thanks for confirming that for me though ;)

thats why i put it in quotations :P its an excuse managers tend to pull out the bag sometimes. I like him n see no reason why he shouldnt be put on the left if injuries do hold us back a bit

ah I see, sorry mate.

I think he is worth a shout

the only reason Scotland won in Paris was due to a moment of brilliance from McFadden

Without McFadden I do not see where a moment of brilliance is going to come from.

Scott Brown and James Morrison are our best bets, but even they would need to do something unimaginable to win the game.

Scott Brown can produce something unimaginable. The guy is an outstanding footballer!

I'm not so keen on Fletcher myself. I've not seen too much of either him or Clarkson but any time I've seen Fletcher he's been no where near as good as he's made out to be, and he was dire in the friendly against Croatia - his first game for Scotland? Didn't Clarkson score and have a bigger impact on his Scotland debut?

This is not the game to try it if all other options ARE available, but I'd love to see Ross McCormack play for us at some point. He's had some season.

TTG JIM!!!

Scott Brown can produce something unimaginable. The guy is an outstanding footballer!

I'm not so keen on Fletcher myself. I've not seen too much of either him or Clarkson but any time I've seen Fletcher he's been no where near as good as he's made out to be, and he was dire in the friendly against Croatia - his first game for Scotland? Didn't Clarkson score and have a bigger impact on his Scotland debut?

This is not the game to try it if all other options ARE available, but I'd love to see Ross McCormack play for us at some point. He's had some season.

Totally agree about Scott Brown. As long as he channels his considerable energy levels in the right direction then he is a fine player. I actually think he will get better, he is a progressive type and there's more to come from him I reckon.

I really rate Steven Fletcher and have done ever since I first saw him. Although he is quite big and rangey his technique is excellent. Against Croatia he was played in a unfamilar wide left role and was understandably shaky at the beginning. Once he settled down he did well and I think he played Kenny Miller in for the equaliser that night if I remember rightly. He had to go off with a knock at half time which was a shame.

If Miller doesn't make it then I think Fletcher is the most appropriate replacement, even though he is still raw in international football terms. Wee McCormack is a very inventive footballer but perhaps not the right man for the job on this occasion, as we will need more of a physical presence high up the pitch. I think we would have to go with one up front as we are not in a position to be able to sacrifice the extra man from other areas of the park as yet. I think that would be a risky approach, though maybe you could argue we are set for a using anyway and should just see what happens.

In many ways, I think Alan Hutton is right when he says that the more important game of the two is next Wednesday.

did james morrison get called up or is he injured :unsure:

he had a concert in glasgow last night

lack of commitment!

i wouldnt play robson

brows a must

could be our only attacking threat

We are not home and dry, we could not even be said to be home and vigorously towelling ourselves off!

I'd like to see McCormack played on the left now that Commons is out. As for the striker, if Miller's out I don't have a clue. Fletcher, Clarkson and Iwelumo are all in poor form for their clubs.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

theres only one gary teale :ph34r:

potential centre back pairing of caldwell & berra :blink: we're truely f*cked

I'd say that given a chance they would potentially be the best cetral defensive partnership we have available even without injuries.

Barr has the potential to be a great defender but he's prone to naive mistakes. I'm sure that'll be cut out with a few more years of experience, but unfortunately we need it for Saturday!

If Miller's out then we've got even more of a problem than we did before. I really rated Iwelumo when he first was called up and, although maybe a bit surprised he came on before Boyd against Norway, I was still pleased he came on. The miss was a shocker, no doubt about it, but his other play was really good I thought. Since that game however his confidence must have plummeted because he's not produced the goods for Wolves since. Clarkson? Sorry, I don't think he's the answer to Scotland's problems. That leaves Fletcher and McCormack. Of the 2, McCormack's the better goal scorer but I'd still go for Fletcher. I think he's cause their defence more problems and bring our midfield into it a wee bit more.

What I'm worried about is their wingers of course and their full backs who like to bomb fowrward and help them. Burley has usually gone for a sort of 4-3-3 formation before, surely this time he'll go 4-5-1 in order to cope with that, then hit them on the counter and get in behind their full backs. Im not sure. It's going to be one tough game :unsure:

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind.

Buy the ticket, take the ride...

I'm not Berra's biggest fan, but considering the form McManus, Weir and Barr are in, he's probably our second best centre back behind Caldwell right now. I'd maybe have picked McManus ahead of him just because Caldwell and McManus are a settled partnership, but while I'm not sure of him he's just as good an option to partner Caldwell as the rest in the squad.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If mcmanus is halfway fit id definitely have him and caldwell. They are a settled and accomplished partnership who are used to playing big games in Europe. To throw Berra in (which looks likely) could mean that silly little mistakes creep in and in this game we are going to have to be solid.

I agree with an interview I heard a few days back, think it was Hartley, and he was saying how everyone is expecting us to get beat easily and even though they have won all 3 games so far they have all been close games.

Macedonia 1 - Netherlands 2

Netherlands 2 - Iceland 0

Norway 0 - Netherlands 1

We are the second best team in this group I have no doubt about that. If the dutch have an off day or underestimate us then were in with a shout of sneaking a draw or even a hard fought win.

:) ever the optimist me

I'm smart and I want respect!

Archived