Holland Vs Scotland - Page 5 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Holland Vs Scotland

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:(

It just keeps getting worse! Hartley only guy in squad who can protect our defence and let the midfield play in games like this.

I think we might go with 5 at the back now: Hutton - Berra - Caldwell - Barr - Naysmith. That would allow for our best midfield 3 and two forwards so might even be a bit more attacking than we would have been before all the injuries.

We're looking really threadbare now with the loss of Hartley, who would have played an important role in front of the defence. Maybe Ferguson will need to drop back there now, Darren Fletcher will move into the middle and Whittaker or Teale will play wide right. Leaves us with a serious lack of options on the bench, however. Maybe Gavin Rae could be a surprise starter :blink:

We're looking really threadbare now with the loss of Hartley, who would have played an important role in front of the defence. Maybe Ferguson will need to drop back there now, Darren Fletcher will move into the middle and Whittaker or Teale will play wide right. Leaves us with a serious lack of options on the bench, however. Maybe Gavin Rae could be a surprise starter :blink:

i bloody hope not :huh:

I'm smart and I want respect!

Sky Sports News just reported that Gordon and Hutton wont start on Saturday :(

Ok this is getting out of hand. How are we supposed to compete with so many call offs. It's starting to feel like the Berti Vogts era all over again...some players don't seem to want to play. Anyone got a feeling thet Barry Ferguson will pull out before Saturday's game, even though his injury is apparently 'improving'?

Very frustrated <_>

Ok this is getting out of hand. How are we supposed to compete with so many call offs. It's starting to feel like the Berti Vogts era all over again...some players don't seem to want to play. Anyone got a feeling thet Barry Ferguson will pull out before Saturday's game, even though his injury is apparently 'improving'?

Very frustrated <_>

I dont think thats the case with Hutton and Gordon - the two of them have been desperate to play. The same goes for Hartley.

Ferguson is another story though! Having said that, any player who wouldn't want to play in a game like this would be crazy.

Right...its time to call in the replacements then. Even if they all end up on the bench. Even if we use the other players i the squad we wont have a very strong sub bench for when our better players get nackered.

Only problem being...who deserves a call up?

f*** it...throw Zander Diamond in there :P

Right...its time to call in the replacements then. Even if they all end up on the bench. Even if we use the other players i the squad we wont have a very strong sub bench for when our better players get nackered.

Only problem being...who deserves a call up?

f*** it...throw Zander Diamond in there :P

Was trying to think of a few midfielders...Michael Stewart from Hearts, Ian Black at Caley Thistle? Think we'll survive in defence with Steven Whittaker, Graham Alexander, Gary Naysmith, Jamie McAllister, Gary Caldwell, Christophe Berra and Darren Barr.

Was trying to think of a few midfielders...Michael Stewart from Hearts, Ian Black at Caley Thistle? Think we'll survive in defence with Steven Whittaker, Graham Alexander, Gary Naysmith, Jamie McAllister, Gary Caldwell, Christophe Berra and Darren Barr.

Ian Black is prob a good shout actually. Michael Stewart has his moments too.

What about Scott Arfield?

If they're stuck I can play. I'll pack my boots in the off chance.

Just at football last week I scored a couple including a surge down the right wing. One of the boys applauded me and compared me Messi. He said "compared to Messi you're absolutley s***e"

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

Very frustrated <_>

If all else fails have a go at the easy target eh! Ferguson is probably the best example in Scotland of a guy who has taken injection after injection in order to play competitive games through injury when he shouldn't have. That's why he ended up having to eventually miss an entire pre season for surgery and that has undoubtedly been a factor in his indifferent form this season. I hope he plays but certainly not at the expense of jeopardising his fitness for next Wednesday.

Michael Stewart would be a good call-up - I think he has the swagger and self-belief to feel that he belongs at this level, and sometimes that seems like a big part of going out and actually doing it. He'd relish the challenge of being involved.

On Berra, I don't have many worries about him, I think he's mature, fairly solid and is a better player than Andy Webster was when Vogts drafted him in during 2003 (and he performed with great credit).

On the goalkeeping front, I'd back Burley's decision here. Gordon is out of form and has been creeping about reserve games for Sunderland. Allan McGregor deserves his chance and to go and exclude him - after a precedent was set with Kris Boyd - would have been wrong.

Hartley out is bad enough, but I'd still take a half fit Hutton over Graham Alexander any day. And Naysmith... <_>

It's really not looking good for us. Tough enough task with a full strength squad but this is getting out of hand. Stevie Aitken you called it right mate, reminds me of teh Berti Vogts era all over again, although Hartely, Hutton and Gordon were all champing at the bit to play. Just bad luck for us it seems. Ferguson (if fit) can sit in front of the defence in Hartley's place, in all fairness as much as I think he's over rated, we've missed him in a Scotland shirt I feel.

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind.

Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Have to say, I don't think Scotland are likely to get anything better than a 0-0 draw, which the forecast formation suggests Burley is going for. That would be a fantastic result as far as I'm concerned. Hampden is where we have a better chance of mugging them! But with all these injuries, I think McGregor is going to be very busy on Saturday night, especially with two key defenders missing.

Of course I would be delighted if they could pull off another miracle. I remember that night inside the Parc Des Princes vividly. :) But the main thing is beating Iceland, and if Ferguson has to miss Saturday to be fit for the match in Glasgow a week from now? That's what he has to do be advised to do.

It is an exciting fixture though, and to everyone travelling, have a great time!

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Archived