Holland Vs Scotland - Page 3 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Holland Vs Scotland

Why does the Daily Rubbish have this poll question ???

Can Scotland beat Holland in their forthcoming World Cup clash?

Would not be of more value to ask ...

Will Scotland beat Holland in their forthcoming World Cup clash?

pretty much the same question

and the answer is NO

sorry, but unless the Dutch have a howler of a game then the best Scotland can hope for is a goalless draw

will be cheering the boys on mind you... we can but hope and dream :)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7958801.stm

Who'll get called up instead, if anyone?

losing weir and clubfoot has actually a good thing!! :)

can you imagine players of their quality up against van persie, robben etc? scary stuff

i know some have mentioned "well we beat France so why not"? I think France and Holland are completely different. I think Euro 2008 showed us all what NL are capable of.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7958801.stm

Who'll get called up instead, if anyone?

Prob no-one...unless their short on a certain position which i doubt they are. Says Whittaker is in but thatll just be because they lost 2 defenders. Commons being injured is really no big deal to me. I think we have better players than him for that position anyway.

Holland will most likely win but if i knew that for certain thered be no point in watching. You never know in football and hopefully we can get a draw out there to keep us at least in with a shout.

For the campaign to die so early on would be a scunner for us after the last one.

I'm smart and I want respect!

The Dutch are very, very strong in attack but they remain weak at the back. That gives Burley an interesting problem: atack and a goal or two is possible, defend and they're likely to break through in the end. Either way though I can only realy see the Dutch winning by a few goals, probably by four.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The Dutch are very, very strong in attack but they remain weak at the back. That gives Burley an interesting problem: atack and a goal or two is possible, defend and they're likely to break through in the end. Either way though I can only realy see the Dutch winning by a few goals, probably by four.

who will you be supporting?

who will you be supporting?

Neither. I'll be watching as an interested neutral.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

So now the squad is...

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

David Marshall (Norwich City)

Defenders

Graham Alexander (Burnley)

Darren Barr (Falkirk)

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton W.)

Gary Caldwell (Celtic)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)

Jamie McAllister (Bristol City)

Stephen McManus (Celtic)

Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United)

Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfield

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Barry Ferguson (Rangers)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Paul Hartley (Celtic)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Gavin Rae (Cardiff City)

Gary Teale (Derby County)

Forwards

David Clarkson (Motherwell)

Steven Fletcher (Hibernian)

Chris Iwelumo (Wolves)

Ross McCormack (Cardiff City)

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

--------------------

Struggling to make it

I am dismayed that Chris Iwelumo is again deemed worthy of a place in the squad.

As for Gary Teale, maybe in an ideal world he wouldn't figure but this is far from an ideal world. To be fair, I thought he did very well against Man United in the cup when he came on as a sub. He does also have pace and if he gets the ball out of his feet he can actually deliver a really good ball (as Kris Boyd will testify from the Georgia game at Hampden in 2007).

Every time I've seen Kris Commons I've been impressed, and have no problems with him starting the game. James Morrison hasn't looked that great a deal in a Scotland shirt yet, but I have to say I thought he was excellent when I saw West Brom at Villa Park in January.

Alas, whatever the starting lineup is, and no matter how compact we are in the midfield (and we will need to be), I fear that we are in for a right good shoeing.

Agree with that. Morrison scored and was West Brom's best player by a mile but whenever I've seen him for Scotland he hasn't impressed.

So now the squad is...

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

David Marshall (Norwich City)

Defenders

Graham Alexander (Burnley)

Darren Barr (Falkirk)

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton W.)

Gary Caldwell (Celtic)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)

Jamie McAllister (Bristol City)

Stephen McManus (Celtic)

Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United)

Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfield

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Barry Ferguson (Rangers)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Paul Hartley (Celtic)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Gavin Rae (Cardiff City)

Gary Teale (Derby County)

Forwards

David Clarkson (Motherwell)

Steven Fletcher (Hibernian)

Chris Iwelumo (Wolves)

Ross McCormack (Cardiff City)

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

--------------------

Struggling to make it

I'd probably class Hutton as struggling to make at as well so its not looking great.

If none of them are fit i imagine the team will be close to:

McGregor/ Gordon

Alexander - Berra - Caldwell - Naysmith

Hartley

Morrison-Brown-Fletcher-Teale

Miller

One of the midfield 5 might drop out for a forward but there is a serious lack of quality options now, although it could be argued there wasnt before but at least then we could have varied things a bit more.

Whats up wi Miller?

I agree. We def need him in on this one. If he wasnt there we'd prob have to go 2 up front cos theres no other striker there good enough to play the lone striker role against the dutch.

Perhaps McCormack on the left of midfield then, in the absence of Commons, with Clarkson up front?

Thats a good shout. Prob wont happen though as he doesnt have "international experience"

I think for us to get anything out of this there will need to be some form of thaumaturgy involved... that squad surely can't get anything in the Netherlands!

OOOOOOOOO check you n yer big boy words :P Miracle then?

Perhaps McCormack on the left of midfield then, in the absence of Commons, with Clarkson up front?

I dont think Clarkson is good enough to be honest - he's a decent player in an average Motherwell team but definitely nowhere near good enough to play as a lone striker on Saturday. To me Fletcher is a better option but I'm not sure he's suited to playing on his own.

It may be that we need to go with two up and one of them playing behind the other as I dont think we have anyone that can play on their own. If Miller isnt fit I think it will be Iwelumo and Fletcher and although its not my ideal pairing at least they might trouble the Dutch with a bit of strength and height.

Thats all assuming we play with four at the back though...

Archived