Rowan Alexander Interview - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Rowan Alexander Interview

El gofer

No, on here and amongst other Morton fans who don't have tunnel vision or selective reading.

Point of information:

The club is yet again perilously balanced on the edge of the relegation precipice. Perhaps you and your wide eyed and broad minded cohorts have lost a little focus. Help is at hand. Just listen to Jaggy! :wub:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I aint a fan of Ro and don't think he is a good manager. It could be argued that the poorest of managers could have taken Gretna through the leagues with the £ he has available. Think some of us forget his time at QOS where he made an arse of them and himself i.e. sleeping in the stand!

He took Gretna from the Unibond League to the Scottish Premier? If that's not success enough for you what is? :blink:

P.S. Read the interview, I did!

I read the interview but I also know he had unparalled finances in the leagues and had Premier League standard players playing in the second division.

He simply got lucky at Gretna and there is a reason he struggled to get jobs before or after them. People talk in football and his reputation as a poor manager is well know.

He was a great player and one of my all time favourites but unfortunaltely this doesnt make him a good manager.

Point of information:

The club is yet again perilously balanced on the edge of the relegation precipice. Perhaps you and your wide eyed and broad minded cohorts have lost a little focus. Help is at hand. Just listen to Jaggy! :wub:

For what its worth I dont think things are great at all but he has saved us from relegation and managed to turn things around for a while at least.

He's managed to give the team a solid spine with the players available but for some reason this hasnt been the case.

I was all for him going after our start to the season and am verging towards that feeling again but am willing to see how things go over the next month as I think he's deserved that chance. He seems to be doing his best to undo this in the last few weeks though...

No, I suspect he means another player. I have an idea to whom he may be referring, still playing with another club and a bit of a reputation as a troublemaker. But I may be totally on the wrong track.

I feel sorry for Rowan - yes, he comes across as a bit arrogant but he does speak his mind. Definitely nobody's yes man.

Chris Innes?

Grady was on Off The Ball 3 or 4 Sundays ago, and said that it was Mick Wadsworth that Main fought with and that anyone that stood up to Wadsworth ended up leaving fairly soon afterwards.

Grady was on Off The Ball 3 or 4 Sundays ago, and said that it was Mick Wadsworth that Main fought with and that anyone that stood up to Wadsworth ended up leaving fairly soon afterwards.

It wasnt Wadsworth who slept with Mains wife thoughwas it?? :ph34r:

I read the interview but I also know he had unparalled finances in the leagues and had Premier League standard players playing in the second division.

He simply got lucky at Gretna and there is a reason he struggled to get jobs before or after them. People talk in football and his reputation as a poor manager is well know.

He was a great player and one of my all time favourites but unfortunaltely this doesnt make him a good manager.

For what its worth I dont think things are great at all but he has saved us from relegation and managed to turn things around for a while at least.

He's managed to give the team a solid spine with the players available but for some reason this hasnt been the case.

I was all for him going after our start to the season and am verging towards that feeling again but am willing to see how things go over the next month as I think he's deserved that chance. He seems to be doing his best to undo this in the last few weeks though...

That's exactly the opposite of the impression I've been getting from my informants!

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

He undoubtedly had the resources when Mileson came in but he did the business with those resources. The list of "good managers" who had the same backing but who didn't win a tea cup is endless! Credit where credit is due, the results speak for themselves. Talk is cheap. I know people who think I'm nothing but an ersehole but there are others who think the sun shines out of my erse! ^_^

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand

our banking and monetary system, for if they did,

I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

Henry Ford

That's exactly the opposite of the impression I've been getting from my informants!

What do you mean by this? I meant that he's undoing the good run we went on and time he created for himself after being a game or two from the sack?

What do you mean by this? I meant that he's undoing the good run we went on and time he created for himself after being a game or two from the sack?

:blink:

I've read your post again-we are indeed on the same theme! :blush:

YER BARD

Really interesting interview, and he comes across rather well. The situation he was put in with Wadsworth supervising him and then Irons taking credit for what must at least have been in part his hard work, would piss anyone off.

I have a feeling that Alexander is a better manager than people now give him credit for. OK, Gretna were able to bring in quite a few players due to Mileson's misplaced generosity, but he must have done something right? They were on the verge of promotion when he got forced on sick leave, even though he was passed fit.

The guy has a strong personality, the sort of which alienates people at times, but I wonder now if he could have done a better job than Irons is doing at present. I hope he gets back into management at some level. Even at a Division Three club. Hand him the Elgin job, I'd put money on him hauling them up the table, rather than being the new laughing stock of the Scottish game.

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

He undoubtedly had the resources when Mileson came in but he did the business with those resources. The list of "good managers" who had the same backing but who didn't win a tea cup is endless! Credit where credit is due, the results speak for themselves. Talk is cheap. I know people who think I'm nothing but an ersehole but there are others who think the sun shines out of my erse! ^_^

Go on then, list them. Relatively, I can't think of any time when a club's had such a financial advantage as Gretna did over the rest of Second and Third Divisions, and they still had a big gap on the rest of the First Division. They were able to offer Steve Tosh twice as much as he was on at Aberdeen when they were in the Third Division!

I don't think you can judge Alexander's, or that matter Irons', managerial ability based on Gretna. Alexander was able to buy his way through the leagues, then Irons wasn't allowed to sign any players and the one's who were brought in clearly weren't good enough, with Wadsworth taking over everything. Have to judge Alexander on his time at Queen of the South(I can't remember how that went) and Irons on his time with us. Starting to look bad for Irons then.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Morton gave him a knock back by email. That about sums up the current regime.

I wouldn't have replied to him at all. I'd have filed him with the rest of the cranks and the Champ Man have-a-go applicants.

EOho8Pw.png

I think the reporter says it all - that it was Alexanders own opinion - we have yet to hear the other side.

Although I do think this guy Wadsworth has a lot to do with the problems Gretna had at the end.

Nowt to do with Broke Millstone then? :unsure:

YER BARD

A dreadful combination of arrogance and self-pity. I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve to work again or anything stupid like that but I sincerely hope he doesn't pitch up at our door again.

I agree with all of that.

Morton gave him a knock back by email. That about sums up the current regime.

According to a good friend of Jim Duffy, he got a thirty second phone call from Mr Rae's secretary to knock him back for the job.

Archived