Morton 3 Gretna 2 - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton 3 Gretna 2

TRVMP

The sending off definately changed the game,the guy must be kicking himself for being so stupid.

Not sure if we would have come back against 11 men.

Derek Collins didn't deserve all the abuse he got.The guy only did what any other would have,he's got a wife and family to support.

Blessings....not just for the one's who kneel....luckily.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point on Jason knocking for 1st team place -

I'm sure jim has told him his place in the morton squad, i dont know obviously what that is BUT, IMO, he will stay on the bench till 1 of the front 2 get injured.

This is because, like today, big temps can create something out of nothing(the chip in 1st half). But mainly because who would you rather see coming of a bench when your 1-0 down with 20mins 2 go?

Dont get me wrong though, Yes Jason has been superb so far this season!

I thought we were a bit fortunate as well, as the sending off definitely turned things our way. Although in saying that I didn't see them equalising as they weren't exactly carving us open at will - their equaliser was a great strike from distance.

Very dissappointing competetive debut from Alex Walker IMO - hopefully better to come. I also thought the two Chris's struggled to make an impact. Other negatives were too many high balls and not an imposing enough midfield performance.

However, on the plus side Greacen looks a lot fitter and sharper than he did post-injury last season and McGurn continues to grow in stature. Fine debuts also from Lilley and Finlayson and a great game from McAllister, plus another good sub appearance from Jason Walker. Overall a reasonably satisying start.

Very dissappointing competetive debut from Alex Walker IMO - hopefully better to come.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think he`s fully fit....certainly doesn't look it.

Mags

Blessings....not just for the one's who kneel....luckily.

Don't kid yourselves guys. Morton did get out of Jail today due to sending off. This was the turning point in the game. Soon as Gretna went down to 10 men it was the spur Morton needed to drive forward which they did to great effect. This league is going to go to the wire and Gretna are going to be there or there abouts at the end as this performance showed what a good organised side Rowan has assembled and I believe when we meet them again it will be another very tight game, <_>

forever optimistic

Guest se56an

Alex Walker is still carrying an injury from the 1st game down south, Jim was in two minds wether to play him today.

Was very pleased by the performance today. We seemed a bit less confident when we were on the losing side of things but the belief that guys like McLaren, Millar, Finlayson and Lilley bring gave us a real shine.

McGurn - some butterfinger moments but he was good.

Defence seemed very aggressive without a second thought given - unlike last term - and despite the odd hiccup is looking sharp.

Midfield functioned well, McLaren and Finlayson moved the ball through confidently and McAllister fitted in there nicely.

Up front, Templeman is still crocked and not sharp enough but he showed plenty of signs. Jason Walker should replace him for the Raith game I feel, Chris needs a bit more time for this season. Jason played tremendously and scored a tidy goal. Lilley is gonna rack up a lot of strikes this season, hes not quite the player he was ten years ago but he is still a real threat.

I have said it before and I'll say it again though, we were still lacking in players who run forward and confidently skin opposing players, its frustrating because so many of our lads have it in them. The pass out of a challenge is almost always the option chosen and it fails in dangerous positions at times. Too much time taken to decide what to to with the ball will kick us badly against Gretna and Partick if we're not careful.

Finlayson, Millar and McLaren all have that gift to run rings around guys with the ball, they've gotta use it more.

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

I'M SORRY BUT THE ABUSE DEREK COLLINS GOT WAS DESERVED I FOR ONE SAID GOOD LUCK TO THE GUY WHEN HE WENT TO GRETNA FOR ONE LAST PAY DAY AS YES HE HAS GOT A YOUNG FAMILY TO SUPPORT.

BUT WHAT I WAS DISGUSTED WITH HIM FOR IS THE WAY HE GOT INVOVLED WAS WHEN ANDY MCLAREN AND BALDACCHINO GOT INVOLVED HE HAD NO RIGHT RUNNING UP AND GETTING INVOLVED SO THAT IS WHY THE CROWD GAVE HIM DOGS ABUSE WHICH WAS RIGHTLY DESERVED. AT THE START OF THE GAME IT WAS GOOD NATURED BANTER WHICH I AM SURE DEREK TOOK IT TAHT WAY.

Don't kid yourselves guys. Morton did get out of Jail today due to sending off. This was the turning point in the game. Soon as Gretna went down to 10 men it was the spur Morton needed to drive forward which they did to great effect. This league is going to go to the wire and Gretna are going to be there or there abouts at the end as this performance showed what a good organised side Rowan has assembled and I believe when we meet them again it will be another very tight game,  <_>

12383[/snapback]

Agreed, although but for Gretna's wonderstrike I reckon we would have won in ninety minutes as they didn't look like equalising and Bingo and Deuchar didn't threaten us much.

Reckon Gretna are certainly a decent team; had they not been reduced to ten men I think the result may have been different...

Still not certain about Templeman; agree that maybe Jason should get a chance to start.

Although overall it wasn't a bad performance by Morton. And I'll take a dodgy performance with a result over a stunning performance where we lose everytime, so I'm happy :)

Between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Guest David Edwards

We were second best for most of the game. Gretna look like a good footballing side and pose real threats upfront with Deuchar and Bingham. Their No 7, Baldachino I think, was outstanding. The game turned our way with the sending off, thankfully.

For me, our best players were Lilley, McAllister and Finlayson. Templeman missed a sitter with his head but then was unlucky when he turned outside the box and had a curling shot clip the bar. He has to work on his sharpness though and stop trying to beat defenders twice and three times over. He looks so ungainly.

Their No 4's goal was a belter.

But Jason Walker's was even better.

From what I saw today, we will have to be at our very best to finish in front of Gretna.

But then again, it's early days yet. :)

i thought the game was pretty even personally. gretna are a good team, we can all see that, but i can't see them playing too much better than their performance today whereas i can see us playing so so much better. i'm not saying gretna were at their best today, far from it, but i think we have the better team overall. maybe i'm slightly biased, however :P

i wouldn't say we were second best for most of the game, we had the better first half, they had the better second half, they scored first in extra time and tried to sit back and time waste. the sending off was a blessing, we might not have come back to win in extra time without it but it was only a one goal lead, who knows what could have happened.

i didn't think jim had a great game. he was particularly poor until he set up the first goal and i never noticed him in the second half (mind you, the whole team was a bit s***e in the second half). he kept going until the very end, though, so fair enough.

lilley was my man of the match.

Don't kid yourselves guys. Morton did get out of Jail today due to sending off. This was the turning point in the game. Soon as Gretna went down to 10 men it was the spur Morton needed to drive forward which they did to great effect. This league is going to go to the wire and Gretna are going to be there or there abouts at the end as this performance showed what a good organised side Rowan has assembled and I believe when we meet them again it will be another very tight game,  <_>

12383[/snapback]

That may be true but they are the best team we will play in the league.

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

Thuoght i was a bit of stupid sub taking 1 stiker off and putting another 1 on when your a goal up and you've only ten men.

12440[/snapback]

They did it as they thought the extra pace would trouble us more.

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

I agree we got out of jail today. However, we were fitter than them and that was showing before the guy got sent off. Their second goal really came from a defensive error, about the only one we had all day. I believe that we would have won in extra time anyway whether we were against 10 or 11.

What is clear though, is that taking points from this team in the league will not be easy. I would be surprised if there is a better team we will face in the second division.

we deserved the win .....end of story.

our first 11 is better than theirs but over the course , given their squad i think they may well win the league. the c*** that got sent off had it coming

given our team and support today i reckon their franchise will be more tham a bit worried about the ton!

Fitter team def won.

On the formation, don't know if we played the 3-5-2 that well. Sat far too deep at times and played a flat back 5 for spells in the 2nd half.

Still, it's early days and at least Gretna had to score 2 pretty good goals to get on the score sheet and never really got in behind the defence apart for the 2nd goal.

Alex Walker! We really need to get him fully fit, he's like another Chris Millar in the midfield, a real ball winner and very comfortable going forward. good spot Jim!

Team looks very impressive in all areas, but agree that Gretna clearly have more depth (although they also have some very old legs) and that will be to their advantage over 40 or so games we will play in the season.

Putting money on who will win the league, assuming each team are the same value. Who you goney pick? v tough to call!

Alex Walker is still carrying an injury from the 1st game down south, Jim was in two minds wether to play him today.

12384[/snapback]

thoght when alex walker went off we lost it a bit in the middle, took us a while to get a hold of the game in midfield again, no disrespect to deano who worked his baws off but ah thought alex was excellent, didnt stop runnin , and got his tackles in, what we've been missing

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

McGurn 7- Faultless really for both goals (their first was a screamer!) Kicking improved and came for crosses well. What he couldn't hold, he punched to safety. A solid performance.

Weatherson 8- Once again showed his class at centre-half and allowed for creativity from the defence. Showed his prowess when moved up front and to be honest, I would love to see him play alongside Lilley and Templeman more often!

Alex Walker 6- Didn't really seem to do much although we did lose our shape a bit when he went off (I suppose that's a compliment?!) Plenty aggression and determination but I was hoping for him to put his foot on the ball more. Hopefully that will come as he certainly has the physique for the position.

Harding 8- Dealt with everything comfortably and played some nice passes out of defence.

Greacen 9- Absolutely superb! Last minute tackles, important headers and a danger from set pieces! Greacen looked back to his best and most importantly he kept his concentration up for the entire game.

McLaren 8- Great set pieces and looked reasonably dangerous, but tired quickly and his head seemed to go down when Gretna went in front. A good game overall though.

Millar 7- Fairly quiet throughout and never really took the game by the scruff of the neck like he so often does, but was effective on the whole and was probably only quiet because of our (fruitless) long-ball tactics.

Finlayson 9- Mr Duracell! The guy never stopped running, tracking back or taking on the Gretna full-back! He has a great work ethic and good skill. Looks like being a very good aquisition.

Lilley 8- Great start to his second stint! Took both goals well and got "in and about" the Gretna defence. Once he forms a proper strike partnership with Templeman, he will score even more!

Templeman 7- Definately improved over the summer but still needs to get involved a bit more in games. Showed his undoubted skill when he chipped Main but hit the cross-bar. Won his fair share of headers too today and should score plenty this season.

McAlistair 9- See Finlayson! What a cracking player! His run for the third goal showed that he will be the fittest player in the league this season and he kept Baldaccinno quieter than Baldacchino did McAllistair!

SUBS

Keenan 6- Same as Alex Walker really!

Jason Walker 8- Showed great willingness and pace. Took his goal well and ran at the defence causing Gretna a great deal of problems! I can see why he was given an extended deal!

Adam- No time to impress.

On the whole, it was a decent team performance, but we have played an awful lot better. I hope the management also realise that all three of our goals came from silky soccer ON THE DECK!!! The long-ball tactic did not work as Townsley mopped up every single high ball. The management should have seen that and changed the tactics a bit, but the got it spot on by moving Peter up front!

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Archived