Morton 3 Gretna 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton 3 Gretna 2

TRVMP

An entertaining game, for the most part, albeit one with a dire second half.

We look pretty good going forwards at times but today I just felt there was something missing. Full credit to the team for battling back from 2-1 down to win but I think we're capable of more. However, as I've said, the fighting spirit was fantastic.

I don't think anyone had a particularly poor game today. Harding as MoM seemed a strange choice for me; not because he was bad but because McAllister and Lilley were so good.

Anyway, if Gretna are the toughest opposition we'll face this year, I think we might just manage to win the title.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked a fairly even game tbh. Not really much to pick between the two sides. The fittest team won in the end with the likes of Walker, Millar and Spoonsy still driving forward in the third hour of football.

If Gretna are as good as everyone thinks they are then McInally is a genius.

Worst point was the formation, looked good in the 1st half but the two wingbacks (McAllister and Finlayson) played very deep in the 2nd half (looked like a flat back 5 at times) and we looked very lightweight in the midfield area because of that.

Still very encouraging for the season ahead and we def got one over one of our promotion rivals today.

Yes the turning point was Innes(I think) getting sent off.Gretna are a good outfit and will be hard to beat this season,but I thought we just deserved our victory.

Let's get it right 1st time in League 1.No excuses.

Today was a good show and my MoM was Kev Finlayson. IMO, we played quite a bit better when alex walker was on the field.

Just heard alex williams scored for clyde :o :lol:

Great game of football today especially the 1st half.

Anyway, When is the 2d round draw? Is it after tomorrows East stirling game?

2006 - 2007 = Greenock Morton F.C. (1st Division Champions once again)

Guest se56an
Was good tactict by the manager puting Mcaren deeper and moving Spoonsy forward last ten mins  ..

12325[/snapback]

I would agree with that.

In extra time the game turned around big time. Good game, and it let us all see that Gretna are no push over

I thought the team showed determination today, heads didn't go down after the second goal. I felt there were too many times when we allowed players to run at us, when someone should have got in there. Other than that I thought it was good, one too many long balls if I'm honest.

I will say that the defence delt with Gretna well and that Gretna did not impress too much.

I thought we deserved it in the end.Gretna are competent team and will be up there at the end of the season.

Morton, everyone played their part and hard to pick anyone out Lilley for his goals,McAllistair looks up for it this season,Findlayson was superb as were Harding & Greacen.Jason looks hungry for a first team place,and if he keeps playing like that he'll get it.

Feel we are still lacking something in the middle of the park though,and that's no disrespect to Walker or keenen.

Enjoyed the win,good entertainment in extra time.

Sour note- Thought the treatment to Collins from the crowd was a bit harsh....

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Jason looks hungry for a first team place,and if he keeps playing like that he'll get it.

He's got to be knocking on the door already. If the Raith game is anything like this one, IMO Jason should start the first away game.

EOho8Pw.png

Gretna didn't impress me.

They knock high balls up to that big doctor twat and that is it. Though thought Innes was good prior to the red card.

12342[/snapback]

Thing is, we did our fair share of knocking high balls about ourselves...

EOho8Pw.png

Thought the reason for the high balls from both teams was the workrate of both teams in closing down the opposition and denying space

Agree with the above who said something missing from the team , might be still adjusting to the 3-5-2 system

Guest se56an
He's got to be knocking on the door already. If the Raith game is anything like this one, IMO Jason should start the first away game.

12340[/snapback]

He's been knock at the door since the Alty game.

Question is how long will Jim give Chris?

Yee Haaaaa

Words i would like to posted to express my delight couldnt be posted :P

Thought the whole team put in a great shift, Fell a bit flat in the 2nd half and

the sending off did help alot.But when we played the ball on the ground we opened them up a few times and thats were we got our goals.Thought big Temps put a good shift in but would have like to have seen him replaced when we were 1-0 up as i felt they had to much space, and it was easy for them to find a free man.

Wee Walker was class as usual when he came on and Jim McCallister for me was MoM the guy was class and created the winner with a tremendous run which he was unlucky not to have finished himself. Derek Lilley 2 chances 2 goals thats why we brought him back, great finishing. Harding and Greacen are looking a solid pairing, won just about everything.Finlayson now thats wat u call a right midfielder worked hard and covered back well.Didnt think Mclaren had the best of games but by no means not involved, great leadership and work hard.

Great to see McInally pushing Spoonsy forward to expose the lack of numbers and keep Gretna in there own half,at 1 point we had a forward line of 5 :D

And although Mcgurn lost 2 goals i thought he looked like he's improved again since last season and his kick outs where better than last years too good performance and postioning

All in all im FECKING DELIGHTED!!!!

CMON YEE TON!!!

VIALLI VIALLI VIALLI

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Live Sports - MyP2P

Check the Forum for Baseball Listings as MLB is no longer aloud on Sopcast

One of the games where not alot was created and both teams had both gd and bad spells . We are in the next round, we beat our promotion rivals and we are looking good.Players know wot they are doing, closing down was impressive and we look solid at the back- in all pre season games, we have gave away very few chances. Gretna looked ok,but nothing to fear, their goal was a peach tho!!

On the Collins note, totally agree, some people have very short memories!!

personally i thought we got out of jail.bubbaton what game were you at??.i thought gretna are a good footballing team,they ran rings round us for long spells.i thought grecian should have been motm he was immense at the back today.we sit far to deep our midfield disapears up its own arse.templeman should be punted now.ok he skimmed the bar in the first half apart from that nothing!!!!.we only started to looklike scoring we jason walker came on.mclaren ran his heart out although i have to say he shifts the blame to other guys when it's his own fault.we dug really deep for that win today,which is good to see that we have fighting spirit.i fear if they hadn't gone down to 10 men it would have been a different story.up until then we were creating nothing.this idea of punting high balls over to the left side want's to stop.this is a continuation of last season.we didn't need to do it for the extra time goals get the players down the flanks and run at the defences.imho.we create far better chances when we do that.roll on next week

I tend to agree with ianton. We were a bit lucky today but you can't fault the grit and determination shown throughout the team. I thought our two wingbacks, McAllister and Finlayson did a power of work and that the back three were pretty solid against a free scoring team. McAllister in particular kept star man Baldochinno pretty quiet

One thing did show up was that Morton were fitter than them. Even before they had the man sent off they were visibly wilting. I just wonder how their old legs will cope come the gluepot pitches in the winter?

Anyway, I will be very happy if we take 4 or six points from them this season because I don't think many others will.

Archived