Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee United (5th March) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee United (5th March)

21 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If a player's not performing well enough in training and/or game time then he shouldn't be playing, whether we gave him a two year deal in the summer or not. 

I think for the minimal game time he's had this year, he's done well overall. Not much you can do when you're getting 10 minutes cameos here and there. Must be worth getting him back in with McGrattan and Quitongo severely off form and Blues (albeit he's been OK) never being a wide player. He's got pace and a good delivery so should be getting more gametime but for some reason Imrie doesn't fancy him.

He put in the ball that won us a penalty v Dunfermline, assisted away to Arbroath and was probably our best player that day and sure he did well in the two cup games beforehand. Then got bombed out never to be seen again. 

54 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

I think for the minimal game time he's had this year, he's done well overall. Not much you can do when you're getting 10 minutes cameos here and there. Must be worth getting him back in with McGrattan and Quitongo severely off form and Blues (albeit he's been OK) never being a wide player. He's got pace and a good delivery so should be getting more gametime but for some reason Imrie doesn't fancy him.

He put in the ball that won us a penalty v Dunfermline, assisted away to Arbroath and was probably our best player that day and sure he did well in the two cup games beforehand. Then got bombed out never to be seen again. 

You completely ignored the part about Imrie working with him and seeing him every day which has a far bigger say on whether he gets game time.

4 hours ago, DumfriesTon said:

I haven't seen this good delivery on any reliable basis and if pace alone was required then we wouldn't have seen Quitongo's poor performance last night. 

People keep claiming that there's only much you can do in ten minute cameos - well you can make it impossible to be overlooked by turning a game and having an impact. Bearne hasn't done even remotely enough despite the cherry-picking that we've reverted back to just like before our 16 game unbeaten run. You don't have the jersey - you need to take your chance and claim it. 

I've read this same script with McGrattan 'strangely' not getting a game last season - although I note that fixation and stat updates have been quietly ditched from the forum. Perhaps it's a case of these players not actually being good enough to merit a starting place based on the manager's judgment? 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

15 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Logan O'Boy's '10-minute cameo'.

I'll say no more.

That's probably for the best, seeing as literally two games after the club's best run of form in a Paisley lifetime, we're already back to you and others bumping your gums about fringe players not getting enough opportunities - when they either fail to do enough with the ones that they had; or in O'Boy's case have zero experience of adult competitive football. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

18 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Logan O'Boy's '10-minute cameo'.

I'll say no more.

Yeah, and by the same token, do you remember Frankie Dean who had some on here blinded by their own tears and snotters when Dougie didn't offer him a contract last summer? Same story with Reece Lyon who also had some bumping their gums when he was released. Both decisions have, thus far at least, been fully vindicated.

Logan is a great prospect for sure, and he did take his goal very nicely. If he works hard and realises his full potential, I'm sure he'll have a decent career in the game. But it was against an already demoralised and knackered Lowland League side who were too fucked to be able to put in even half a challenge. It's unlikely he'd get that amount of time and space inside the box in the Championship. So that goal is not indication in itself that he's ready yet for the Championship (if that's indeed what you're suggesting).

I think that based on his long career as a professional footballer and now over 2 years managerial experience, we can safely assume that Dougie has accumulated far more football knowledge than any of us (except of course for Eredevisie superstar DOT). And he works with these guys every day on the training pitch and therefore knows their individual strengths and weakness in detail. So based on that, and the fact that his calls on players he's released have been pretty much 100% correct, I'm more than happy to trust his team selection judgements. He'll not get every decision right of course, but the evidence is clear that he gets far more of them right than wrong.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant
  • Upvote 2

Can't believe some folk are still questioning Dougie's decisions. He may not always get them right but more often than not he does. He also has an enormous amount of credit in the bank. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

6 hours ago, vikingTON said:

That's probably for the best, seeing as literally two games after the club's best run of form in a Paisley lifetime, we're already back to you and others bumping your gums about fringe players not getting enough opportunities - when they either fail to do enough with the ones that they had; or in O'Boy's case have zero experience of adult competitive football. 

What ??? I've never once 'bumped my gums' or questioned a single decision our manager has made - nor would I dream of doing so. I was specifically referring to what you said (quoted below) -  and agreeing with it using O'Boy as a random example. 

"People keep claiming that there's only much you can do in ten minute cameos - well you can make it impossible to be overlooked by turning a game and having an impact".

From where I was standing - a penalty win assist followed by a stoater of a goal in 10 minutes certainly did make an impact. Can you show me the thread when I was banging on DOT-style about him not being included as a permanent fixture in Dougie's chosen starting XI? No? I thought not.

O'Boy's a promising kid. Nothing more. It will be years before he's ready for Championship football.

Edited by SassenachTon