Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (12th December) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (12th December)

Admin

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a massive conflict of interests. I'd assumed when taking the role of chairman that Laird had stepped away from agency work. Acting as a consultant to the board was an excellent set-up, whereby the club gained footballing expertise and contacts, with no votes being cast by someone who has skin in the game other than the best interests of Greenock Morton. I'm not suggesting that the chairman has, or indeed ever will, act or vote in anything other than the best interests of the club, but this blurring of lines is unacceptable and sets a precedent that could easily be abused in the future. 

The idea that the person with the deciding vote in the boardroom, and who acts as a figurehead of the club, has the potential to behave as a lobbyist on behalf of certain players and managers is a clear conflict of interests. I know the restrictions surrounding agents are far less restrictive than they are for players and coaches, but the idea of John Laird the chairman negotiating a deal with John Laird the agent for the services of a player such as Lewis Strapp is ludicrous. 

I know that Laird also represents Michael Tidser, so I can't wait to see him heavily linked with the managerial vacancy once Imrie moves on. I'd like to see this position clarified by MCT or the club immediately. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

2 minutes ago, BishopBrennan said:

It is a massive conflict of interests. I'd assumed when taking the role of chairman that Laird had stepped away from agency work. Acting as a consultant to the board was an excellent set-up, whereby the club gained footballing expertise and contacts, with no votes being cast by someone who has skin in the game other than the best interests of Greenock Morton. I'm not suggesting that the chairman has, or indeed ever will, act or vote in anything other than the best interests of the club, but this blurring of lines is unacceptable and sets a precedent that could easily be abused in the future. 

The idea that the person with the deciding vote in the boardroom, and who acts as a figurehead of the club, has the potential to behave as a lobbyist on behalf of certain players and managers is a clear conflict of interests. I know the restrictions surrounding agents are far less restrictive than they are for players and coaches, but the idea of John Laird the chairman negotiating a deal with John Laird the agent for the services of a player such as Lewis Strapp is ludicrous. 

I know that Laird also represents Michael Tidser, so I can't wait to see him heavily linked with the managerial vacancy once Imrie moves on. I'd like to see this position clarified by MCT or the club immediately. 

Dream Oak Tree has a direct line to MCT, the board, Dougie and Cappie. I'm sure he'll be able to enlighten us.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

12 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Dream Oak Tree has a direct line to MCT, the board, Dougie and Cappie. I'm sure he'll be able to enlighten us.

I heard it was Dream Oak Tree that was camped out in mysterious 'blind room' all these years. At night he also turns the centre circle into a landing pad for Ed de Ball's helicopter. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Since when did the chairman automatically have the 'deciding vote in the board room'? That is (for a change) a genuine question. GMFC is not being run by Douglas Rae any more - we should have a clear sense of how the decision-making procedure works at board room level. 

Establishing that is key before jumping to any conclusions. If decisions are being recorded and made taken by a simple majority vote then being The Chairman doesn't actually matter too much other than having a fancier title and representing the club at SPFL/SFA business.

If there's a conflict of interest involving any board member - which if we want some credible business-minded people in the room then there will be from time to time - then they should declare that conflict of interest and recuse themselves from the decision-making process. 

We need to clearly establish whether those procedures are in place. If they are, then the onus is on other board members (including the MCT half) to apply them.

I see no presumption to alarm without evidence that those procedures are being broken or not being applied at all. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

20 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

There’s nothing to enlighten you on. What’s being said is what is happening, so I don’t need to waste MCT’s time on such a trivial matter, compared with the only tree concerns I have contacted them about. 

31 minutes ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

What were your tree concerns?

1. Dougie’s policy towards our youth players. 

2.?

3.?

1. Q. Is Cappielow going to be owned by the club or by the Rae’s? (At time of  considering joining MCT).

A. The club.

2. Do the club want promotion? (Following Darragh O’Conner revealing last season that the manager told him as they’d reached their target of 40 points they were just to enjoy their football for the rest of the season, and persisting in playing the on-loan under-performing Hamilton midfielder, plus a source saying the club didn’t want promotion as they wouldn’t have the ground ready on time.)

A. It will be difficult but with the extra funds we’ll make sure we’re ready for the start of next season if promoted.

3. Are the club happy with the way our academy graduates, whose careers are on the way up, are being allowed to leave, whilst preferring to sign older players whose careers are on the way down?

A. The board have already asked the manager to outline his plans on academy players and recruitment.

41 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

A. The board have already asked the manager to outline his plans on academy players and recruitment.

From that how did you conclude that Dougie has changed his approach to playing Academy players, ya deluded muppet? His response could well have been (and probably was) something along the lines of, 'I'll play them when I think they're ready, and not before'. 

Dougie does not seem the like the sort of guy who would entertain any sort of interference in team selections. 

55 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

1. Q. Is Cappielow going to be owned by the club or by the Rae’s? (At time of  considering joining MCT).

A. The club.

2. Do the club want promotion? (Following Darragh O’Conner revealing last season that the manager told him as they’d reached their target of 40 points they were just to enjoy their football for the rest of the season, and persisting in playing the on-loan under-performing Hamilton midfielder, plus a source saying the club didn’t want promotion as they wouldn’t have the ground ready on time.)

A. It will be difficult but with the extra funds we’ll make sure we’re ready for the start of next season if promoted.

3. Are the club happy with the way our academy graduates, whose careers are on the way up, are being allowed to leave, whilst preferring to sign older players whose careers are on the way down?

Who was the under performing Hamilton midfielder?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

40 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

From that how did you conclude that Dougie has changed his approach to playing Academy players, ya deluded muppet? His response could well have been (and probably was) something along the lines of, 'I'll play them when I think they're ready, and not before'. 

Dougie does not seem the like the sort of guy who would entertain any sort of interference in team selections. 

I don’t think they so much interfered, more asked him to share his thoughts on academy players as the club have invested in that part of the club structure. I find it baffling that no-one else makes the same conclusion, based on Dougie’s completely welcome turnaround based on the board’s concerns.

18 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I don’t think they so much interfered, more asked him to share his thoughts on academy players as the club have invested in that part of the club structure. I find it baffling that no-one else makes the same conclusion, based on Dougie’s completely welcome turnaround based on the board’s concerns.

Nice theory, apart from the fact you keep ignoring that there has been no turnaround, except in your deluded head.

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Which is why you spellcheck my posts?

Most folks spellcheck their own posts. I've always found that it helps me to avoid looking like an illiterate chump. Such as the post above referring to a 'portion push'........

Archived