Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Chris Millar - A Tribute


Recommended Posts

After 278 appearances across two spells, the curtain fell on Chris Millar's exemplary Cappielow career this summer. Click below to read Russell Gordon's superb tribute to the Scottish Cup winner and Morton legend. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed that article, brought back some great memories as if they were yesterday, and as long as my memory allows, was also accurately written (although I was sure I’d watched Midge play right-back a few times). Well done Russell!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I really enjoyed that article, brought back some great memories as if they were yesterday, and as long as my memory allows, was also accurately written (although I was sure I’d watched Midge play right-back a few times). Well done Russell!

You thought you'd seen Anthony Ralston line up for Morton so your recollections can be filed safely in the bin.

  • Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TRVMP said:

You thought you'd seen Anthony Ralston line up for Morton so your recollections can be filed safely in the bin.

And have you any thoughts on Chris Millar, the subject of the thread?

  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

And have you any thoughts on Chris Millar, the subject of the thread?

I have a thought on your contribution to the thread.

I reads:

 

RD, DH.  :)

  • Upvote 1

YOU'RE A TAXLOSS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two players from the same era, one conducted himself in the right manner in the way he left Morton - let's face it, Chris Millar's was a dignified exit, albeit he never got the testimonial or even an ovation from the fans, thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic - the other was Jim McAllister which was a bit disrespectful towards the supporters and club who gave him his start in the game.

  • Upvote 2

YOU'RE A TAXLOSS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

And have you any thoughts on Chris Millar, the subject of the thread?

I used to see him at the Spar on South Street from time to time and give him a nod so we're basically best mates.

  • Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Toby said:

Nice to see that I can spend hours researching, writing, proof reading and editing a piece only for you to condense everything into one sentence.

Thanks very much for taking the time to do this mate. It was a fantastic read and brought back some amazing memories. I'm sure Chris will get a good reception at the EK game and I really hope that the club can organise something to recognise his service and career. 

 

Looking forward to the next one!

  • Upvote 1

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

What's your point?

As I said earlier, I’m sure I remember Midge playing right back a few times for The Ton in his previous time here, which was dissed by TRVMP. I’ve asked the Club if they still have my match reports from that period so I can check. If not I’ll hopefully have them on a hard drive somewhere. 

  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

As I said earlier, I’m sure I remember Midge playing right back a few times for The Ton in his previous time here, which was dissed by TRVMP. I’ve asked the Club if they still have my match reports from that period so I can check. If not I’ll hopefully have them on a hard drive somewhere. 

Your link offers nothing to suggest that he played right back at Morton rather than Celtic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Your link offers nothing to suggest that he played right back at Morton rather than Celtic.

That’s why I need the match reports or stats to confirm one way or another. Russell says he can’t remember Midge playing right back previously. I thought I did remember him playing there though I could be wrong. Either way I’ll come on here and confirm.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I also vaguely remember him being a right-back in his very first season. But the article doesn't support that. 

I do think he started at right-back but quickly became a right midfielder. I certainly remember when he signed he was talked about as a midfielder/full back.

I was also 11 at the time so fuck knows, but it's something I always remembered (or made up).

edit: seems to have made his debut in midfield - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/2793975.stm

Edited by Deego
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He certainly evolved into being a midfielder first and foremost. When he says he started his career as a right back then maybe he meant in Celtic’s youth set-up. My recollection is that later in his Morton career he also played right back and right wing back several times, mostly when McInally was shuttling him around or not playing him. Jim McAllister was a favourite of McInally’s and an ever present, but Chris Millar was not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

He certainly evolved into being a midfielder first and foremost. When he says he started his career as a right back then maybe he meant in Celtic’s youth set-up. My recollection is that later in his Morton career he also played right back and right wing back several times, mostly when McInally was shuttling him around or not playing him. Jim McAllister was a favourite of McInally’s and an ever present, but Chris Millar was not.

I don’t believe that’s right. Millar was turned into a centre mid by McInally, and if I remember right rarely played right mid never mind right back.

The right side of the park was more often than not occupied by Weatherson and Finlayson or Stevenson in his last two years.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...