Improving Football In Scotland - Targeting Demographics - Page 4 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Improving Football In Scotland - Targeting Demographics

Clydeview

-6870 Bad.

You are beating Eric de Ball by more than -110 Red dots.

:D :thumbup2: :bouncy: :lol:

Wow. That's what I call dedication. Pity Roy Castle isn't around any more, he'd be sure to call.  :)

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scared of what? I’ve posted sporadically over the last few years. I’ve had my account for years more than you and Ed

No idea, that's why I'm asking.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Scared of what? I’ve posted sporadically over the last few years. I’ve had my account for years more than you and Ed

Writers block is the curse of a creative genius. You have my sympathies. Glad to hear that you are back to your best and recovered from your Byronic shsgging addiction, fighting that must have been hell. I think VT is going through the same thing just now.

I gave LinwoodNonce a greenie earlier on, can someone please cancel this out. Thanks in advance.

Was that because your manly hands aren't made for these feminine smart phone screens?

Noticed Duffy was complimenting Tiffoney's performance on Saturday, but said that he needed to get stronger.

Having seem the Development squad play, and age groups below that, I'd say that they almost all look very lightweight. Made me wonder, what strength and conditioning work Morton do at pro-youth levels? Anyone know?

Again a rugby comparison, most clubs, including Greenock Wanderers, now have their elite youth players doing quite a significant amount of strength and conditioning work from 11/12 years old. Different sports I know, but at 19 (Tiffoney's age I think?) a player should be physically very strong, if he has been doing the correct training for his sport for many years.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Noticed Duffy was complimenting Tiffoney's performance on Saturday, but said that he needed to get stronger.

Having seem the Development squad play, and age groups below that, I'd say that they almost all look very lightweight. Made me wonder, what strength and conditioning work Morton do at pro-youth levels? Anyone know?

Again a rugby comparison, most clubs, including Greenock Wanderers, now have their elite youth players doing quite a significant amount of strength and conditioning work from 11/12 years old. Different sports I know, but at 19 (Tiffoney's age I think?) a player should be physically very strong, if he has been doing the correct training for his sport for many years.

You're a bit disturbing.

*insert signature here*

All this rugby nonsense! You get all these rugby people, don't you? Rugby this and rugby that. Let's have a Try, let’s have a scrum.

Ooh that’s a snazzy ruck. Oh this smells of, I dunno... a conversion.

Sometimes you want to say sod all this rugby, just give me a game of football.

Edit to add:

Can I just shock you? I actually like rugby! Despite what I said earlier. At any one time I have nine rugby balls in my house.

Tiffoney does need to work on his strength and conditioning - too easily moved off the ball. 

As for rugby, the SRU as with most sports at elite level, positively discourage strength and gym work at a young age - it is considered counter-productive. I know where I live in East Lothian you are not allowed to attend a gym without adult supervision until you are 16 years old. Creating mutants is not the answer to Morton's issues - there are enough in the support  :1eye: .

Tiffoney does need to work on his strength and conditioning - too easily moved off the ball. 

As for rugby, the SRU as with most sports at elite level, positively discourage strength and gym work at a young age - it is considered counter-productive. I know where I live in East Lothian you are not allowed to attend a gym without adult supervision until you are 16 years old. Creating mutants is not the answer to Morton's issues - there are enough in the support  :1eye: .

The SRU back rugby academies within clubs, with the aim of these being to improve ability/game sense, and develop the strength and conditioning of players. Greenock Wanderers must have about 30 boys doing weights, under professional supervision at all times, a couple of times a week (on top of game focused training)... and loads of other clubs do the same. Without doing that, they simply wouldn't be able to compete at district levels and beyond. 

Wanderers definitely have a couple of the best athletes in the area at my sons age group, and their training is a big part of it. I guess Morton pro-youth probably don't have the time to focus on strength/conditioning if they only train twice a week...

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

The SRU back rugby academies within clubs, with the aim of these being to improve ability/game sense, and develop the strength and conditioning of players. Greenock Wanderers must have about 30 boys doing weights, under professional supervision at all times, a couple of times a week (on top of game focused training)... and loads of other clubs do the same. Without doing that, they simply wouldn't be able to compete at district levels and beyond.

Wanderers definitely have a couple of the best athletes in the area at my sons age group, and their training is a big part of it. I guess Morton pro-youth probably don't have the time to focus on strength/conditioning if they only train twice a week...

I've a mate who trains professional athletes in a variety of sports and he claims Rugby players are a level above footballers in terms of all round fitness.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

On Page 1 Zhivago was claiming that some sort of weirdo class-based eugenics was responsible for the physical attributes of egg-chasers (not that it does them any good; 'the Wanderers' are, like every other club in Greater Greenock, a failed organisation living in the cold, dark shadow of The Famous). Two pages later the goalposts have suddenly been shifted* to a discussion of how often players train. It can't really be both, you utter berk. 

* but not increased in height beyond the bar, because egg-chasing isn't a sport

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

NB: 188 posts for Zhivago and already a red dot dickhead milestone. The worst attempt at a comeback since 'The Rangers'.

1000.png

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Should I bother responding to VT... have a few spare minutes so why not.

Fact 1, middle-class background more likely to be physically fitter by genetics (live longer/eat better etc.) - helps greater success in sport. Numerous studies support this... have a look.

Fact 2, middle-class background more likely to be able to back their children financially in their pursuits. Example being Greenock Wanderers, where the club is in the position to put money towards paying for professional fitness coaches, this is supplemented by the SRU and the parents of all young athletes in their academy set-up. Extra training, maximizing potential of athletes, costs money.

In short, it's a mixture of genetics and opportunity/financial backing. Best raw material to start working with does come from a certain demographic... deny it if you like, you'll be wrong :)

Largston. Definitely been a big change in rugby since the game went professional, which has filtered down to club level. I've seen some of the Wanderers youth players come up against footballers in 'neutral' athletics events... and the top rugby athletes were well ahead in fitness and, in particular, strength events.

I do not doubt there are many talented youngsters involved in rugby and the Wanderers but the numbers do not lie - less kids are playing rugby (according to the SRU anyway) and while the authorities including the SRU promote strength and conditioning they do not encourage weight training at the younger years. Rugby is increasingly for mutants. Football is for beautiful people. 

I enjoy a game of rugger down at the Wanderers actually, love the snazzy new clubhouse.

Was there a couple of weeks ago with Sue Cook. Had a big fat shot of directors bitter while reading a bit of Simon Heffer, on the veranda.

Maybe you, Clydeview and Ed could get a private box at the Wanderers - make it a forum day out - I can check my diary 

Archived