Albion Rovers V Morton - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Albion Rovers V Morton

mcintyre_gmfc

I am inclined more to think that an element of our fans thought we just had turn up and their disappointment when things did not happen that way was taken out on the team and some players in particular. I am sure we did know we would be playing on a ploughed field but I fail to see how knowing that in advance helps! Ball control and first touch were made much harder because of it and it was a leveller whether our fans care to see it that way or not.

I am not suggesting the team played well, just that maybe some people could cut them a bit more slack! Quite a few of the same guys are already booking their travel to Turriff which is disrespectful to Albion Rovers who will also see the draw as a potential ticket to the fifth round if they can beat us.

I disagree with cutting them slack, teams with less quality go to Albion Rovers and win. If the team had given this game the work-rate that they did against Partick, Dunfermline or Livi we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It took the management far too long to work out that our usual passing game wasn't going to work, and I think we'd all agree that a route-one 1-0 or 2-1 win is better than scraping a draw.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree with cutting them slack, teams with less quality go to Albion Rovers and win. If the team had given this game the work-rate that they did against Partick, Dunfermline or Livi we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It took the management far too long to work out that our usual passing game wasn't going to work, and I think we'd all agree that a route-one 1-0 or 2-1 win is better than scraping a draw.

Never had a bad day at the office yourself? Sh1t happens and there have been FAR greater Scottish Cup shocks than a team drawing away from home with another one division below it.

You are wrong to present your assumptions as fact.

Never had a bad day at the office yourself? Sh1t happens and there have been FAR greater Scottish Cup shocks than a team drawing away from home with another one division below it.

You are wrong to present your assumptions as fact.

Yes, difference being if I've had a bad day at the office I accept the criticism that goes along with that, something Moore doesn't seem to accept.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

I am inclined more to think that an element of our fans thought we just had turn up and their disappointment when things did not happen that way was taken out on the team and some players in particular. I am sure we did know we would be playing on a ploughed field but I fail to see how knowing that in advance helps! Ball control and first touch were made much harder because of it and it was a leveller whether our fans care to see it that way or not.

I am not suggesting the team played well, just that maybe some people could cut them a bit more slack! Quite a few of the same guys are already booking their travel to Turriff which is disrespectful to Albion Rovers who will also see the draw as a potential ticket to the fifth round if they can beat us.

That is the most tired and ridiculous cliche in football. You'd think none of our players have ever played on a crap pitch before or that our game is of such a slick variety as Barcelona's without the use of target men or balls over the top. Alloa, who play and train on a modern 4G pitch went to Clifftonhill earlier in the season and rode them 3-0. We also won 4-3 on an awful pitch at Central Park- a victory that was far more comfortable than the scoreline suggests. Ball control and first touch are also as difficult if not more so for the Albion players given that they're theoretically inferior to ours. You deal with it and adapt accordingly. Cringeworthy when you read our fans hitting out with excuses like that on Pie and Bovril for failing to take care of teams like Albion Rovers.

The stick the players got in hindsight was probably a bit harsh given their recent good run, but that doesn't excuse them from criticism for what was a poor performance and result against a team we should be able to comfortably take care of. One of the drawbacks of a good run is that it increases expectation levels, so when standards slip in a game that the team should be expected to win even after a mediocre run frustration will be far greater.

Regarding booking transport to Turriff; I managed to get train tickets for 4 to Aberdeen for £47 with the limited availability Friends Fare. With Motherwell at Aberdeen that day, and the potential loss of £11.75 each if we are knocked out as opposed to the overall £162.60 saving on the full fare should we progress, I'm inclined to think it was more of a prudent move than a disrespectful one.

That is the most tired and ridiculous cliche in football. You'd think none of our players have ever played on a crap pitch before or that our game is of such a slick variety as Barcelona's without the use of target men or balls over the top. Alloa, who play and train on a modern 4G pitch went to Clifftonhill earlier in the season and rode them 3-0. We also won 4-3 on an awful pitch at Central Park- a victory that was far more comfortable than the scoreline suggests. Ball control and first touch are also as difficult if not more so for the Albion players given that they're theoretically inferior to ours. You deal with it and adapt accordingly. Cringeworthy when you read our fans hitting out with excuses like that on Pie and Bovril for failing to take care of teams like Albion Rovers.

The stick the players got in hindsight was probably a bit harsh given their recent good run, but that doesn't excuse them from criticism for what was a poor performance and result against a team we should be able to comfortably take care of. One of the drawbacks of a good run is that it increases expectation levels, so when standards slip in a game that the team should be expected to win even after a mediocre run frustration will be far greater.

Regarding booking transport to Turriff; I managed to get train tickets for 4 to Aberdeen for £47 with the limited availability Friends Fare. With Motherwell at Aberdeen that day, and the potential loss of £11.75 each if we are knocked out as opposed to the overall £162.60 saving on the full fare should we progress, I'm inclined to think it was more of a prudent move than a disrespectful one.

It may be a tired old cliche but like most such views, it has its foundation in fact. A bobbly and rutted pitch works against skilful players, especially a small and light player like Wilkie who's main strength is his ability to control the ball in tight spaces and turn away from his man as anyone who has watched the reserves will confirm. I think it was the wrong game to play him and I think Moore probably agrees with the benefit of hindsight.

I did not say the pitch was the only factor, the team played badly on the day but as you say, they did not deserve the level of abuse they got from some quarters which was well over the top.

As for the Turriff travel arrangements, what I really meant was that many fans seem to have just assumed we will beat Albion in the replay. I hope and expect we will but as things are at the moment the tie stands at 1-1 and Albion proved on Saturday that they cannot be taken lightly.

As for you making prudent travel arrangements that you are prepared to write off if we don't go through, well done and I would have done the same. Nothing wrong with that at all and any criticism implied was really due to me using travel incorrectly to highlight the assumption some have made that we will be playing Turriff before we have disposed of Albion Rovers.

I singled Graham out a fair bit, and on the one hand I do feel I was over the top for singling him out.

As a football coach with Stenhousemuir, do you believe that abuse hurled from the terraces improves a player's performance?

I doubt you would be so vocal if David Graham challenged your observations to your face!

You should be quite embarrassed by your behaviour, as should several others.

Abuse no matter where it's hurled, either in the home, in the street, in the workplace or on the terracing is out of order.

No excuses, abuse is abuse and it not only sets a bad example and is disheartening to the person being abused but in certain situations is against the law!!!.

We should not be condoning abuse under any circumstances. :angry:

Abuse no matter where it's hurled, either in the home, in the street, in the workplace or on the terracing is out of order.

No excuses, abuse is abuse and it not only sets a bad example and is disheartening to the person being abused but in certain situations is against the law!!!.

We should not be condoning abuse under any circumstances. :angry:

Yep, completely agree.

So you agree that calling people on here "dicks" is out of order?

As a football coach with Stenhousemuir, do you believe that abuse hurled from the terraces improves a player's performance?

I doubt you would be so vocal if David Graham challenged your observations to your face!

Agreed - it was embarrassing on Saturday.

What's out of order is people who abuse other people, that makes them dickheads and can be labelled as such.. If the coat fits.

What do you define as abuse?

I'd think that calling someone a "dick" could be deemed as a form of abuse, maybe I'm just being pedantic of course.

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that :unsure: ?

Am I the only optimist here, so we drew against Albion, but not only do we have a replay and another chance to advance, we also get better gate money albeit only half which we would have never recieved had we won and I am sure the club will be more than happy to accept it.

Also I missed the cup game and now I can get to see the replay.

Depends what you define as abuse. At the final whistle I suggested that if he thought that work-rate was acceptable and a justification of his wages then he should take a good look at himself. I stand by that sentiment. I do not define that as abuse. I didn't use any derogatory language towards him. I define that as a supporter confronting a player to justify his (lack of) effort in a match, particularly when he is probably the most technically gifted player on the park.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

Depends what you define as abuse. At the final whistle I suggested that if he thought that work-rate was acceptable and a justification of his wages then he should take a good look at himself. I stand by that sentiment. I do not define that as abuse. I didn't use any derogatory language towards him. I define that as a supporter confronting a player to justify his (lack of) effort in a match, particularly when he is probably the most technically gifted player on the park.

I hope he thanked you profusely for the constructive criticism.

He was perfectly gracious. So much so that he probably put more effort into frowning while telling Dean to "fuck off, ya fucking wanker" than he did in playing football for an hour and a half previously.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Perhaps if Alex Ferguson was giving that opinion he may have listened.

Comments from a post pubescent teenager directed at a 29 year old professional footballer of 11 years should have provoked the reaction, "Who are you talking to ya wee fanny?".

Who the f*ck are you to confront anyone in their workplace? <_>

Perhaps if Alex Ferguson was giving that opinion he may have listened.

Comments from a post pubescent teenager directed at a 29 year old professional footballer of 11 years should have provoked the reaction, "Who are you talking to ya wee fanny?".

Who the f*ck are you to confront anyone in their workplace? <_>

Well hold on a minute. If I am coaching and I put little effort into my session plan and the resulting session then I am open to criticism from the parents of the children in my session. Those parents are the people that pay my wages, and in return they expect a professional service to coach their children. If I deliver a bad session through a lack of effort to make the session a successful one, I face criticism from the parents standing at the side. Due to the fact without them I wouldn't be have a job, I listen to their views and try and discuss any issues they have with them. I don't get offended and give personal abuse to the parents and question their place to criticise me. What's the difference?

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

Archived