Rangers Lodge Appeal For Administration - Page 6 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Rangers Lodge Appeal For Administration

Bawheid

Can we have this thread moved to General Nonsense, mods? It's not about Morton - we are only affected peripherally even if most of us are p1ssing ourselves laughing as the tale of financial shenanigans at the house of cards develops.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Celtic fill Parkhead most weeks whether they are playing Rangers or St Mirren. If there is one thing worse than a league that only two teams can win, its one where one team is guaranteed to win every time. Even Celtic fans will get bored with that and Sky will have no interest whatsoever. With no TV money, the SPl will be in the same position as the rest of us and maybe there will be a bit of a levelling in Scottish football where clubs have to survive on gate money again.

I can't see Rangers disappearing though. They'll be back in some shape or form.

The opposite side to that arguement, is that in comparison to other things, Celtic's actual TV revenue is not a massive ammount. Despite no Champions League money in recent years Celtic have produced excellent financial results, which is even more remarkable in the current global economic markets. No(or a very poor) Rangers will mean guaranteed Champions League Revenue. That is where the big bucks are anyway. Even if Celtic dont have Rangers next year they will sell more than 40,000 season tickets. It is other clubs in the SPL, who already have poor finances, that will actually suffer if there is no TV dosh. That is exactly why Rangers will be in the SPL in some sort of form next year.

Can we have this thread moved to General Nonsense, mods? It's not about Morton - we are only affected peripherally even if most of us are p1ssing ourselves laughing as the tale of financial shenanigans at the house of cards develops.

Oh this very much is a Morton topic, being in the position not so long ago it's a timely reminder to some ton fans with their head in the clouds that DDR cannot spend money we ain't got

eat drink and be merry for tommorrow you may be radioiactive

The opposite side to that arguement, is that in comparison to other things, Celtic's actual TV revenue is not a massive ammount. Despite no Champions League money in recent years Celtic have produced excellent financial results, which is even more remarkable in the current global economic markets. No(or a very poor) Rangers will mean guaranteed Champions League Revenue. That is where the big bucks are anyway. Even if Celtic dont have Rangers next year they will sell more than 40,000 season tickets. It is other clubs in the SPL, who already have poor finances, that will actually suffer if there is no TV dosh. That is exactly why Rangers will be in the SPL in some sort of form next year.

That looks like a pretty fair assessment. Celtic have been managed in a far more prudent style over the past decade and a good run in the champions league will go a long way to reducing the impact of any losses in TV revenue. The other SPL clubs will be far worse affected and a couple of them could well go the same way as rangers.

Oh this very much is a Morton topic, being in the position not so long ago it's a timely reminder to some ton fans with their head in the clouds that DDR cannot spend money we ain't got

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.Mods please move this pish elsewhere.

Celtic are one half of the Old Firm brand. Just look at all the joint commercial sponsorship deals.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

Celtic are one half of the Old Firm brand. Just look at all the joint commercial sponsorship deals.

Celtic's main commercial sponsorship is Nike. Completely seperate from Rangers? I think the only one I can think of which brings in decent money is Tennents? I moved to Mayo in the west of Ireland 18 months ago, and Tennents was something you could not get, on the back of sponsoring Celltic, you now get Tennents Lager in pretty much every Pub in MAyo. And its popular. Thats the type of commercial pull that Celtic have. No matter what you think of them, or the reasons for people supporting them. Celtic will continue to attract large crowds, and will always be popular in Ireland, Australia, America, and that gives them a commercial pull. I honestly beleive the lack of TV revenue would effect other clubs in Scotland more.

I also beleive the doomsday scenarios that are being played out in the Scottish media about life without Rangers, is actually only to pave the way for the new Rangers into the SPL. They are determined to convince people the country needs Rangers.

Yes, I remember the threads about administrations at Motherwell, Livi, Dundee etc. Don't think they were in the Morton main forum but in the general nonsense, which is where this thread should be. Rangers are just another club that is not Morton.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Celtic's main commercial sponsorship is Nike. Completely seperate from Rangers? I think the only one I can think of which brings in decent money is Tennents? I moved to Mayo in the west of Ireland 18 months ago, and Tennents was something you could not get, on the back of sponsoring Celltic, you now get Tennents Lager in pretty much every Pub in MAyo. And its popular. Thats the type of commercial pull that Celtic have. No matter what you think of them, or the reasons for people supporting them. Celtic will continue to attract large crowds, and will always be popular in Ireland, Australia, America, and that gives them a commercial pull. I honestly beleive the lack of TV revenue would effect other clubs in Scotland more.

I also beleive the doomsday scenarios that are being played out in the Scottish media about life without Rangers, is actually only to pave the way for the new Rangers into the SPL. They are determined to convince people the country needs Rangers.

Sorry to burst your wee Celtic bubble. It was C&C who make Magners who bought over Tennants about 18 months / 2 years ago and launched Tennents as a rival to Harp Lager. C&C have spent millions more than their OF sponsorship getting it in to pubs in Ireland. The reason they sponsor the Old Firm is because they are Ireland's prominent lager brand. They are not Ireland's prominent lager brand because of their sponsorship of Celtic.

Sorry to burst your wee Celtic bubble. It was Guiness who bought over Tennants about 18 months / 2 years ago and rebranded their own Harp Lager as Tennants. Any boozer in Ireland that sells Guiness sells Tennants too. The reason they sponsor the Old Firm is because they are Ireland's prominent lager brand. They are not Ireland's prominent lager brand because of their sponsorship of Celtic.

Only a fool would think that there is not some sort of commercial in Ireland by sponsoring Celtic. I think that some people, yourself included, are seriously under estimating the commercial pull of a team with 40,000 seaosn ticket holders, strong links in several countries and guaranteed European exposure every year. That is my opinion. You can call it my wee Celtic bubble, or you can call it some common sense, whatever one suits you.

A wee question for ya, how did Scottish football cope in the early 80's when Rangers were getting crowds of around 12,000 and were the 4th force in Scottish football? How did Scottish football cope when Celtic were on there knees and Rangers won 9 in a row? One weak Glasgow team, but still, TV revenue, Sponsorships, all the things we are being led to beleive will die with Rangers? Don't flatter the fools. The same people claiming that Scotland can't cope without Rangers are the same people who were rubbishing the tax case just months ago, as some fantasy of an internet blogger.

All of it is completely irrellevant, as I have stated from day dot. There will be a Rangers of some sort in the SP Hell next year, this has been Craig Whites plan from day one. He practically said it last night on the steps of Mordor. This will allow us to come out the other end a slimmer and more prudent club. Or words to those effects. WHat they will be is skint, with no credit line, probably renting Ibrox and no players. It will be a long few years for Rangers United.

Only a fool would think that there is not some sort of commercial in Ireland by sponsoring Celtic. I think that some people, yourself included, are seriously under estimating the commercial pull of a team with 40,000 seaosn ticket holders, strong links in several countries and guaranteed European exposure every year. That is my opinion. You can call it my wee Celtic bubble, or you can call it some common sense, whatever one suits you.

A wee question for ya, how did Scottish football cope in the early 80's when Rangers were getting crowds of around 12,000 and were the 4th force in Scottish football? How did Scottish football cope when Celtic were on there knees and Rangers won 9 in a row? One weak Glasgow team, but still, TV revenue, Sponsorships, all the things we are being led to beleive will die with Rangers? Don't flatter the fools. The same people claiming that Scotland can't cope without Rangers are the same people who were rubbishing the tax case just months ago, as some fantasy of an internet blogger.

All of it is completely irrellevant, as I have stated from day dot. There will be a Rangers of some sort in the SP Hell next year, this has been Craig Whites plan from day one. He practically said it last night on the steps of Mordor. This will allow us to come out the other end a slimmer and more prudent club. Or words to those effects. WHat they will be is skint, with no credit line, probably renting Ibrox and no players. It will be a long few years for Rangers United.

Correlations with the 1980s and 90s are misguided. In the 1980s and early to mid 90s we had household names at the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd & Hibs. Nowadays I can barely name the Celtic or Rangers starting 11 and as for players at the other clubs I've mentioned I wouldn't have much of a clue on any of them. In the 80s the European game was much more of a level field and clubs like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd could do well. Such is the gulf in finances now, even regular competitors Rangers and Celtic with far bigger crowds struggle to compete in even a second rate European tournament. Hearts got humped 5-0 by a team that didn't even want to play in the tournament.

On my point re commercial partnerships, since Fergus McCann arrived at Parkhead, Rangers and Celtic may appear publicly and on the field as bitter rivals but in the boardroom they are both committed to building the Old Firm brand. Lawell's comments were necessary to rally Celtic's share price and reassure investors as is required by a Chief Exec. As for the lager I am not a fool and if you actually bother to read my post, C&C have spent far more getting TL into Irish pubs than they have in sponsoring Celtic and their sponsorship of Celtic is a small part of a much larger marketing strategy and budget.

Correlations with the 1980s and 90s are misguided. In the 1980s and early to mid 90s we had household names at the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd & Hibs. Nowadays I can barely name the Celtic or Rangers starting 11 and as for players at the other clubs I've mentioned I wouldn't have much of a clue on any of them. In the 80s the European game was much more of a level field and clubs like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd could do well. Such is the gulf in finances now, even regular competitors Rangers and Celtic with far bigger crowds struggle to compete in even a second rate European tournament. Hearts got humped 5-0 by a team that didn't even want to play in the tournament.

On my point re commercial partnerships, since Fergus McCann arrived at Parkhead, Rangers and Celtic may appear publicly and on the field as bitter rivals but in the boardroom they are both committed to building the Old Firm brand. Lawell's comments were necessary to rally Celtic's share price and reassure investors as is required by a Chief Exec. As for the lager I am not a fool and if you actually bother to read my post, C&C have spent far more getting TL into Irish pubs than they have in sponsoring Celtic and their sponsorship of Celtic is a small part of a much larger marketing strategy and budget.

Now that's TiD & Rasta gonna have to share you on their mantlepiece every other week now!!! Consider yourself OWNED!!! :lol:

RIP New Order...

Now that's TiD & Rasta gonna have to share you on their mantlepiece every other week now!!! Consider yourself OWNED!!! :lol:

I have no idea who you are? But I am going to add you to my wee list of happy followers.

1) TID claimed that me saying Sinn Fein were Irelands second biggest party was just propoganda, I posted a link to prove that they were, unfortunately my figures were one month out of date, due to the timings of our county meetings? Hardly owned, nor propoganda.

2) Rasta is claiming Celtic would have no commercial pull without Rangers? When that is pure mince. Celtic's main commrecial contract is NIke, which has no link to Rangers? I also pointed out that any sponsorship on the Celtic jersey would be seen lucrative to any company trying to get in or improve sales in the Irish market? Which it would? SO explain how any of that is owned?

I have no idea who you are, but I am glad you spend your time watching what people reply to me? Why not post some sort of intelligent responses of your own? Rather than hope someone pulls together some sort of half arsed attempt at making me look daft? you should look me up on twitter. you quite clearly have a fascination with me. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I have no idea who you are? But I am going to add you to my wee list of happy followers.

1) TID claimed that me saying Sinn Fein were Irelands second biggest party was just propoganda, I posted a link to prove that they were, unfortunately my figures were one month out of date, due to the timings of our county meetings? Hardly owned, nor propoganda.

2) Rasta is claiming Celtic would have no commercial pull without Rangers? When that is pure mince. Celtic's main commrecial contract is NIke, which has no link to Rangers? I also pointed out that any sponsorship on the Celtic jersey would be seen lucrative to any company trying to get in or improve sales in the Irish market? Which it would? SO explain how any of that is owned?

I have no idea who you are, but I am glad you spend your time watching what people reply to me? Why not post some sort of intelligent responses of your own? Rather than hope someone pulls together some sort of half arsed attempt at making me look daft? you should look me up on twitter. you quite clearly have a fascination with me. :wub: :wub: :wub:

They ain't half arsed & you do look stupid, so no need for me to even bother!

RIP New Order...

A lot of people on this thread with very short memories. It was only a decade ago whenever Morton was in administration and fighting for survival. Granted that Rangers FC are a far bigger and more successful club, but there will be ordinary decent Rangers supporters tonight feeling the same way as we did back then.

Also, outwith the football side of things they employ a sizeable amount of people both directly and indirectly via contractors etc. Those people will be worried about their jobs tonight too as a result of no fault of their own, and the cleaning ladies and handyman types will soon find out that they are more dispensable than some middle manager on a larger salary, or a lazy **** squad player of which there will be several.

Not too long ago there was a member of Morton FC's commercial team made redundant, and there was a big thread on the messageboard which almost read like a Diana tribute. There will be diligent and hardworking folk like that at Rangers who we will probably never hear about, but will almost certainly be casualties from these cockney henchmen administrators.

*insert signature here*

A lot of people on this thread with very short memories. It was only a decade ago whenever Morton was in administration and fighting for survival. Granted that Rangers FC are a far bigger and more successful club, but there will be ordinary decent Rangers supporters tonight feeling the same way as we did back then.

Also, outwith the football side of things they employ a sizeable amount of people both directly and indirectly via contractors etc. Those people will be worried about their jobs tonight too as a result of no fault of their own, and the cleaning ladies and handyman types will soon find out that they are more dispensable than some middle manager on a larger salary, or a lazy **** squad player of which there will be several.

Not too long ago there was a member of Morton FC's commercial team made redundant, and there was a big thread on the messageboard which almost read like a Diana tribute. There will be diligent and hardworking folk like that at Rangers who we will probably never hear about, but will almost certainly be casualties from these cockney henchmen administrators.

Actually a very good post, cap! Puts sh1t into perspective! Noone wants to be made redundants these days!!

RIP New Order...

Good post Capitanus!

The employees on low wages who have been there for years and probably go over and above the terms of their employment are the first to go.

This is all a game plan for whyte etc and casualties such as these are immaterial to them.

Re Dougie: As rasta stated, draggin up whether or not Scottish football survived in the 80s and 90s when either one of the OF were crap is totally irrelevent considering the status and commercial value of football in scotland and worldwide at that point. There was no TV deal as such. Sponsorship was def not as lucrative. European money did not count for heehaw. At the time people quote Rangers being pulling in 10,000 and just beating Clydebank and Stmirren to 4th or 5th spot, they beat Inter Milan 3-1 at home in Europe, narrowly going out the Uefa Cup. I am sure it was after Xmas too. Celtic had the infamous Rapid Vienna game which would have put them in the semis of the CWC in 85 too. Aberdeen and United did exceptionally in Europe.

In this same period, Steua one the EC, Videoton got to the Uefa final, Anderlecht lost to spurs in a final too.

My point is, it was a much more open playing field with so many different dynamics. Try a TV black out 85-86. No money...that's why Aberdeen won both cups, Hearts just missed the double and Clydebank finished well too.

The SPL has ruined this. Football is mirroring society. Big teams are like the banks. Their past indiscrationa are catching up with them. Rangers could be the tip of the iceberg.

It is complete fantasy to say that Celtic will carry on as if nothing has happened. With TV money and exposure comes other sponsorship.

Can I remind you of what happened to the last premium brand lager that chose one side of the old firm? McEwan's Lager? Anyone sampled a pint or can of this recently? Do you think Tennents want to be seen as Celtic's beer when Scotland is their core market? dream on. And any other major company for that matter.

No TV, means less stadium sponsorship also means less budget for wages. They rely on Euro cash? Think thats were Rangers started to go wrong! You start offering slightly over the odds as players arent willing to come to Scotland? Cant sell them on for profit and you are losing money.

But, you are prob right, Dougie, Celtic will be fine.

Your misuse of question marks irritates me?

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Where did I say Celtic would have NO commercial pull without Rangers? I said their commercial attractiveness would be reduced without the Old Firm brand. You reckon using your own example that TL is only popular in Ireland because they sponsor Celtic which is just rubbish. There is no doubt that brand exposure will help sales but C&C have spent far more than their sponsorship with Celtic on promoting the brand in Ireland. For example, it features in pubs because the brewery does deals with publicans and pub chains to carry it over other brands. Did everyone in Ireland drink Carling previously. No they didn't. The point I'm making is not that Celtic have no individual pulling power but quite simply it is not as strong as you'd believe.

Archived