'mon The Oh Leuven! - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

'mon The Oh Leuven!

This season I've started to go and watch my local wee diddy team OH Leuven on the Belgian 2nd division as their ground is only 10 minutes down the road. I've been to 5 or 6 games now and every one has been really entertaining, and there has been at least 3 goals per game. The standard isn't brilliant but it's decent enough like. Since I've started watching them they have hit a rich vein of form and last night they beat RFC Tournai 3-0 to go 5 points clear at the top of the league! I take full credit for this. :)

They don't have a huge fanbase but they're really passionate and get right behind the team. Last night on paper should have been a piece of piss as Tournai are bottom of the league, but it was 0-0 until well into the 2nd half - looked like it was going to one of those nights. But at no point did the fans start to get on the back of the players, even when they made mistakes. I couldn't help thinking that if I had been at Scappa the players would have been getting pelters. Anyway their patience paid off and they finally got the breakthrough goal, and they went on to add another couple. You never know of course, but I think if the fans had turned against them there may have been a different outcome.

The players also have a wee post match ritual with the fans which I think also helps the fans and players 'bond' with each other. At first I must admit I thought it was a bit naff, but now I look forward to it. Here's last nights.....

AuWjO8nPPuE

Anyway, do you think the way we tend to get on the back of the team and players when things aren't going well is counterproductive? I kinda think it might be.

Since I moved over to Austria last summer, I've been to see the nearest league team FC Wacker Innsbruck 3 times, and although the standard of football isn't great, I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience of going to a game over here. The fans are highly passionate, singing and chanting for the full 90 minutes, and like you say, you rarely hear a negative word being said throughout the game. It just makes for a much more enjoyable atmosphere.

I would say that the negative attitude of supports in Britain can have a very strong effect on the players on the pitch, however I wouldn't say that it's something that Morton fans are any worse at than any other fans around.

Edit to add - quality video by the by, sounds like a very good atmosphere is generated by the fans. Good to hear.

Anyway, do you think the way we tend to get on the back of the team and players when things aren't going well is counterproductive? I kinda think it might be.

Anyone with a brain knows it doesn't help......of course there are times when players or the whole team need a good kick up the arse, but sometimes the other team just defend well or are just better all round, no point booing your own players for that.

The future just ain't what it used to be

Nacho will no doubt have more experience on the subject but some of the Spanish crowds seem hostile from the off with the whistling and jeering.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Nacho will no doubt have more experience on the subject but some of the Spanish crowds seem hostile from the off with the whistling and jeering.

I have attended a few Spanish games and I have never noticed the fans being hostile to their own players. Not saying it doesn't happen mind you.

Basic phycology teaches us that the types who feel the urge to shout and scream at their own players are the types that have low self esteem and therefore take great comfort in being the big man for 90 minutes. Lots of that down Scappa way unfortunately, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

p.s: brilliant post CHC! keep us updated as the season progresses :)

Ehh, it varies. Mostly the home crowds in Spain are as quiet as those in England but it really does vary by team.

I remember being at Getafe 3-0 Osasuna a few years back, it was a bit of a relegation battle for both teams. Osasuna were rubbish, second best in every way, but the fans were singing and cheering for the whole second half even though they were well beaten. It was impressive.

Then I was at the Bernabeu a couple of weeks ago. The loathsome Ultras Sur did a bit of singing, as did some fans at the top of the east stand, but nothing much.

EOho8Pw.png

Basic phycology teaches us that the types who feel the urge to shout and scream at their own players are the types that have low self esteem and therefore take great comfort in being the big man for 90 minutes. Lots of that down Scappa way unfortunately, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Do you have any studies to back this claim up or is it 'back of a fag packet' psychology instead?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

...............The players also have a wee post match ritual with the fans which I think also helps the fans and players 'bond' with each other. At first I must admit I thought it was a bit naff, but now I look forward to it...........

Nice one, thanks for that & hope yer 'new' team continue to flourish. Quick question, do they perform the ritual win, lose or draw?

HH

Candygram for Mongo! Candygram for Mongo............ (BOOM!!!)

Nice one, thanks for that & hope yer 'new' team continue to flourish. Quick question, do they perform the ritual win, lose or draw?

HH

Cheers, they're not really my 'new' team as such though, I'm too much of a Ton diehard to get too attached to any other team I'm afraid, but I do enjoy watching them and seeing them do well. I've watched the local team wherever I've stayed (Maidstone Utd, NEC Nijmegen, GF38 Grenoble and now OH Leuven) and I've always developed a wee bit of affection for them, but I could never really call myself a true supporter of anyone but the mighty Ton.

Re the post match ritual... dunno if they do it when they lose, I've only seen them win and draw (unbeated at home this season)! They did do it when they drew but they equalised in the 95th minute after going down to 10 men, so it felt like a win. If they get promoted I'm sure they'll get pumped regularly, I'll let you know. :)

A couple of other observations about the games here that's become very apparent to me.

Firstly they're generally played in a very sporting manner - very few bad challenges, virtually no arguing with the ref, and I've seen no diving in the penalty box. Definately adds to the entertainment.

Secondly, the standard of refereeing - even in the 2nd division - has been excellent, I genuinely haven't seen a bad one yet. I can judge that by the fact that in the pub after the game he's never been part of the post match discussions which is frankly a breath of fresh air. Don't know if they perform better simply because they're given more respect, or if they are just are in fact more competent, but either way it definately adds to the level of enjoyment of the beautiful game.

I've watched the local team wherever I've stayed (NEC Nijmegen)

Ouch, unlucky. :P

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoon OH Leuven clinched the 2nd division championship following a 2-2 draw away at Royal Antwerp, sealing 1st division football next season for the first time in their history! Wee diddy teams rock! :D

Off now to stroll down to their stadium to welcome the team back and join in the celebrations. :)

This afternoon OH Leuven clinched the 2nd division championship following a 2-2 draw away at Royal Antwerp, sealing 1st division football next season for the first time in their history! Wee diddy teams rock! :D

Off now to stroll down to their stadium to welcome the team back and join in the celebrations. :)

Quality, good stuff :) Should be interesting to see some top flight football next season, some decent sides in Belgium with the likes ot Standard Liege and Anderlecht.

As an aside, my nearest side here in Austria, FC Wacker Innsbruck, won 3-2 away at Red Bull Salzburg, putting them just three points off a Europa League place with 6 games left, and in fact only 7 points off top spot. Not bad for their first season back in the Bundesliga.

• 2 months later...

First ever OHL match in the top league tonight and a bit of a baptism of fire it is for them as well....... home to the mighty Anderlecht! *gulp*

Pre-season didn't go too well, lost 0-2 at home to NEC Nijmegen (another of my wee diddy teams co-incidently) and 0-4 at home to Getafe. So tonight I predict 0-3.

Archived