Ton V Airdire - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ton V Airdire

Mr.Blue

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to go for Morton 2 Airdrie 0

Harsh to drop Stewart but that mistake against Dunfermline was horrendous...

Cuthbert

McGuffie Shimmin MacGregor McKinlay

Finlayson Tidser Masterton McAlister

Weatherson Russell

4-4-2, no fannying about with it, and no Allan Jenkins as he's worse than a man down.

Not sure how it works, but Masty got this fifth yellow of the season (albeit two of them were in the Challenge Cup, but this is an SFL competition) on Saturday, so would he be suspended or do the ALBA cards not carry over?

Based on Saturday’s performances I would go with:

-----------------------------------------------Stewart---------------------------------------------------

McGuffie---------------Shimmin--------------------------McGregor---------------McKinlay

Finlayson--------------Paartalu----------------------------Tidser-------------------McAlister

----------------------------Weatherson---------------------Simmonds---------------------------

This would provide good width in defence and attack on both sides. The absence of width was evident especially on the right with Reid struggling on his own.

Jenkins was lethargic and ineffective and Masterton was overshadowed by Tidser who was doing the same job to much greater effect. Swap these two for Finlayson and Weatherson and you also have support for Simmonds who ran his legs but was not suited to playing up front on his own.

Alternatively we could have Reid at right back and McGuffie in right mid.

Im gonna keep moaning at us to use this system, until we do and it turns out to be pish.

......................Stewart (Thought it was harsh to drop him)

Reid..........McGuff...Dom....McKinlay

.....Masterton...McFarlane..Tidser

Russell....................................Jim

........................Peter

McFarlane winning the ball, Tidser and Masterton creating, Jim and Russell linking up and doing the running and Peter helping himself to a hattrick.

I want a pretentious signature too.

Im gonna keep moaning at us to use this system, until we do and it turns out to be pish.

McFarlane winning the ball, Tidser and Masterton creating, Jim and Russell linking up and doing the running and Peter helping himself to a hattrick.

Jim and Iain have nowhere near the amount of end product to play that role, nd at least one of the fullbacks (Reid isn't, don't know about McKinlay) isn't capable of covering the full half defensively as Reid has shown by getting lost near the halfway line on more than a few occasions leaving a gaping hole in behind him!

Cant agree. McFarlane is there to help out the fullbacks defensively, and Jim and Russell are capable of producing, Russell especially i believe would thrive in that position. Jim im hoping will improve with a better calibre of player near him, i.e. tidser. Dunno if Simmonds can create ive only seen him fall over at Capiellow a couple of times, but he could be an option instead of Jim.

I want a pretentious signature too.

I like the idea, but just don't think we have the personnel to play 4-3-3. The teams who play this formation successfully have pacy overlapping full backs (E.g. Man U, Chelsea, Inter Milan) and attacking midfielders who can score the odd goal.

In your formation we have pretty immobile full backs and midfielders who score very few goals, and two wide forwards who don't score many goals either. I think we need to get back to Finlayson and Jimbo in wide midfield and two strikers. It's not perfect but it's probably our best chance of creating something from the players we have available. I think Tidser can provide the service for the wide players and strikers.

As we are at home against the team bottom of the league, we need to attack them. Not park the bus like reports said we did at ICT at the weekend.

Stewart

Reid McGuffie Greacen McKinlay

Masterton Tidser Jenkins

Russell __________________ McAlister

Weatherson

Same kind of idea as rex manning had, a sort of 4-5-1 formation with Russell and McAlister acting as attacking wingers and supporting Weatherson in the forward areas with Masterton and Jenkins pushing foward from the middle and Tidser the holding player.

I guess Shimmin is still out?

McAlister cannot play left-wing effectively, his positioning is always too deep and leaves the other winger and Weatherson isolated. The only person who could perhaps try left-wing would be Simmonds.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I very much hope I am wrong but I have a very bad feeling about this one. Please FFS I hope we don't go a goal behind, we just don't seem to have much bottle or fight once we go behind. :(

As others have said we should surge forward at every opportunity, we keep hearing how good a squad we have, if thats the case Airdrie should be swept aside. I just worry about our evident lack of fire-power.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

As we are at home against the team bottom of the league, we need to attack them. Not park the bus like reports said we did at ICT at the weekend.

Stewart

Reid McGuffie Greacen McKinlay

Masterton Tidser Jenkins

Russell __________________ McAlister

Weatherson

Same kind of idea as rex manning had, a sort of 4-5-1 formation with Russell and McAlister acting as attacking wingers and supporting Weatherson in the forward areas with Masterton and Jenkins pushing foward from the middle and Tidser the holding player.

I guess Shimmin is still out?

Shame if he is because that back four doesn't fill me with confidence. The only positive note is that McGregor isn't in it.

Shame if he is because that back four doesn't fill me with confidence. The only positive note is that McGregor isn't in it.

Greacen is also suspended. Not heard anything about Shimmin but I'm hopeful that he'll make it to play alongside McGuffie at centre back, who by all reports had a decent game on Saturday. I feel the same about MacGregor, he always read the game well for me, but recently he's allowed midfielders/strikers to cut him up the outside quite often, as evident in the Caley goal at the weekend, and without being able to read a game he brings not a lot else.

Anyway, I've given my starting line up elsewhere in the thread. 2-0 win tonight, shame I won't be there to see it as I have other plans.

McGuffie is a decent centre half and right midfielder. Not a right back, and whilst he can put in a shift at centre mid, I don't think it's his best position (although I understand that he likes playing there). If Ryan's playing CB tonight, I have every confidence in him as an able deputy for big Stu.

Not going tonight as Mrs Alibi doesn't get back from work until after 6 and I don't fancy a 150mph dash up the M74.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived