Queens V Morton - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Queens V Morton

Mr.Blue

Thought id get this started early. It will be interesting to see what line up Grady goes for. Fingers crossed that peter keeps up his terrific goalscoring record at Palmerston.

Team Id like to see-

Stewart

McGuffie Dom Greacen Reid

McAlister McFarlane Tidser McKinlay

Peter Simmonds

Subs- Cuthbert, Jenkins, Paartalu, Graham, Russell

2-1 ton. Peter and Dom

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game will probably be off tbh.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Thought id get this started early. It will be interesting to see what line up Grady goes for. Fingers crossed that peter keeps up his terrific goalscoring record at Palmerston.

Team Id like to see-

Stewart

Peter Simmonds

2-1 ton. Peter and Dom

Whilst I'd quite like to see the line up you describe, given Grady's comments I'd expect McKinlay to play at LB, Reid to switch to RB, leaving wingers unchanged from the usual (unless McGuffie scrapes in ahead of Finlayson)

We are due a draw. If our recent games at Palmerston are any guide, FT 3-3 with us being 3-0 up at half time.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

That's a bold prediction, for Shimmin to do something he's never done in his senior career!

The big man is due a goal. A real Roy of the Rovers effort where he collects the ball in his own half beats 6 players and rattles one into the top corner ^_^

Team Id like to see-

Stewart

Peter Simmonds

2-1 ton. Peter and Dom

really like the look of that team, however i don't think he will drop kev. and i don't think he will \play mckinlay on the left wing. he will probs play left back. but that to me looks like a pretty decent team. :lol:

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Stewart

Peter Simmonds

really like the look of that team, however i don't think he will drop kev. and i don't think he will \play mckinlay on the left wing. he will probs play left back. but that to me looks like a pretty decent team. :lol:

I tend to agree, though it still leaves the question of whether a holding player is needed with a back four. Grady appears to favour Jenkins and Tidser to give more creativity. With Kev and Jimbo out wide and McFarlane holding, we seem to only have one creative midfielder, whether Tidser or Jenkins.

I'd say play a holding midfielder only for cover if we play a back three or if we're using overlapping full backs in a 4-3-3. Otherwise I just don't think we can afford to use up a midfield slot with a holding player.

I think one possibility is the system we used when Derek McInnes was here, an overlapping full-back (Collins) on one side, and a winger (Rajamaki) on the other. This would allow us to play a holding player yet still have width plus two creative midfielders. The system could be reversed with McKinlay overlapping on the left and Jimbo on the right wing.

I just think it's a bit unrealistic right now to look for the ideal of two natural overlapping full backs and two natural wingers. We have to get the best out of what's available, and I just don't think our current system allows that.

I tend to agree, though it still leaves the question of whether a holding player is needed with a back four. Grady appears to favour Jenkins and Tidser to give more creativity. With Kev and Jimbo out wide and McFarlane holding, we seem to only have one creative midfielder, whether Tidser or Jenkins.

I'd say play a holding midfielder only for cover if we play a back three or if we're using overlapping full backs in a 4-3-3. Otherwise I just don't think we can afford to use up a midfield slot with a holding player.

I think one possibility is the system we used when Derek McInnes was here, an overlapping full-back (Collins) on one side, and a winger (Rajamaki) on the other. This would allow us to play a holding player yet still have width plus two creative midfielders. The system could be reversed with McKinlay overlapping on the left and Jimbo on the right wing.

I just think it's a bit unrealistic right now to look for the ideal of two natural overlapping full backs and two natural wingers. We have to get the best out of what's available, and I just don't think our current system allows that.

That's an interesting point. Most tactical formations tend to be symmetrical left to right - however if you take into account the differences in strengths of the opposition in different positions, logically you would on occasion come to the conclusion that an asymmetric formation would be the best one for a particular game. It might incidentally help to deal with the relative scarcity of naturally left footed players. In nearly 50 years of watching and playing football, I don't think that has ever occurred to me before.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

That's an interesting point. Most tactical formations tend to be symmetrical left to right - however if you take into account the differences in strengths of the opposition in different positions, logically you would on occasion come to the conclusion that an asymmetric formation would be the best one for a particular game. It might incidentally help to deal with the relative scarcity of naturally left footed players. In nearly 50 years of watching and playing football, I don't think that has ever occurred to me before.

I think we sometimes assume it's only Morton who can't find natural wingers or left footed players. As you say there's a bit of a general scarcity in the game. The last time I remember Morton having the luxury of two overlapping full-backs and two natural wingers, was around 1979, when we had Hayes, Holmes, Tolmie and McNeil.

I think our dearth of any such players over the last few seasons has made us think we need natural players in all four wide positions. If we had the suggested one on each side it wouldn't be so glaringly deficient. This is how I'd attempt to copy Allan McGraw's formation using our current players:

1990's version (if memory serves me):

----------------------------------------Wylie------------------------------------------

--------------------------Boag-------------------------Doak-------------McPherson?

Collins---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------McInnes-----------Mahood------------Lindberg-------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rajamaki

--------------------------Lilley--------------------Alexander--------------------------

Today's version:

--------------------------------------Stewart-------------------------------------------

McGuffie----------------Greacen-------------------Shimmin-------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------McKinlay

------------------Jenkins------------McFarlane------------Tidser---------------------

McAlister--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Weatherson-------------Simmonds---------------------------

I think we sometimes assume it's only Morton who can't find natural wingers or left footed players. As you say there's a bit of a general scarcity in the game. The last time I remember Morton having the luxury of two overlapping full-backs and two natural wingers, was around 1979, when we had Hayes, Holmes, Tolmie and McNeil.

I think our dearth of any such players over the last few seasons has made us think we need natural players in all four wide positions. If we had the suggested one on each side it wouldn't be so glaringly deficient. This is how I'd attempt to copy Allan McGraw's formation using our current players:

1990's version (if memory serves me):

----------------------------------------Wylie------------------------------------------

--------------------------Boag-------------------------Doak-------------McPherson?

Collins---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------McInnes-----------Mahood------------Lindberg-------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rajamaki

--------------------------Lilley--------------------Alexander--------------------------

Today's version:

--------------------------------------Stewart-------------------------------------------

McGuffie----------------Greacen-------------------Shimmin-------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------McKinlay

------------------Jenkins------------McFarlane------------Tidser---------------------

McAlister--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Weatherson-------------Simmonds---------------------------

Did Super Scott MacArthur not play at left back during that time?

Archived