Scotland Squad Vs Japan - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scotland Squad Vs Japan

I'm sure those who have an opinion on English players playing for us will be delighted to hear Cheshire born Danny Fox (capped by England at under 21 level) has been included in the latest Scotland squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/i...als/8284355.stm

Dorrans, Riordan, Snodgrass, Charlie Adam and Ross Wallace all included:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), Jamie Langfield (Aberdeen), David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Daniel Fox (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders: Charles Adam (Blackpool), Scott Brown (Celtic), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United), Kevin Thomson (Rangers), Ross Wallace (Preston North End)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Burnley), Steven Naismith (Rangers), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City), Derek Riordan (Hibernian)

Be interesting to see if Snodgrass gets a look as by all accounts he's been in great form for Leeds.

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure those who have an opinion on English players playing for us will be delighted to hear Cheshire born Danny Fox (capped by England at under 21 level) has been included in the latest Scotland squad.

As usual, they will bitch and moan about that and say **** all about Fletcher and Maloney.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/i...als/8284355.stm

Dorrans, Riordan, Snodgrass, Charlie Adam and Ross Wallace all included:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), Jamie Langfield (Aberdeen), David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Daniel Fox (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders: Charles Adam (Blackpool), Scott Brown (Celtic), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United), Kevin Thomson (Rangers), Ross Wallace (Preston North End)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Burnley), Steven Naismith (Rangers), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City), Derek Riordan (Hibernian)

Be interesting to see if Snodgrass gets a look as by all accounts he's been in great form for Leeds.

Old boy is working down in Leeds just now and says Snodgrass has cemented himself as a big fans' favourite in the city. It's good that the penny eventually dropped for him and he avoided going down the wasted talent route. The day Livi bleached us 6-1 he was immense and you could see he'd matured as a player, cutting out all the 'ma baw/I'll take everyone on' stuff, and just keeping it simple to pick us apart. It's good to see Dorrans in as well, a very confident player on the ball.

The one thing I like about Burley is that he does try to pick technically good players like that, instead of just filling the squad with functional ones, which would be the easier option.

My issue with the Danny Fox thing is nothing to do with his birthplace, I just think it's a bit unfair he has jumped Lee Wallace - who by all accounts been playing consistently well for Hearts for a sustained period - in the queue. He deserved a chance first.

Riordan merits his recall altough he could still be doing with getting rid of the double chin he developed whilst at Celtic. Not sure how much we learn by picking Ross Wallace again though - and if there was ever a time to throw Kevin Kyle in then surely if was this squad? Only other gripe I have is with the omission of Neil Alexander, who is a much more reliable type than the likes of Jamie Langfield, even taking account of the fact that he's not a regular starter.

My issue with the Danny Fox thing is nothing to do with his birthplace, I just think it's a bit unfair he has jumped Lee Wallace - who by all accounts been playing consistently well for Hearts for a sustained period - in the queue. He deserved a chance first.

And Charlie Mulgrew, who is the best Scottish free kick taker and probably second best left back behind Wallace.

Old boy is working down in Leeds just now and says Snodgrass has cemented himself as a big fans' favourite in the city. It's good that the penny eventually dropped for him and he avoided going down the wasted talent route. The day Livi bleached us 6-1 he was immense and you could see he'd matured as a player, cutting out all the 'ma baw/I'll take everyone on' stuff, and just keeping it simple to pick us apart. It's good to see Dorrans in as well, a very confident player on the ball.

I have been watching him regularly the last few seasons and he has made a vast improvement as a player, Beckford gets all the plaudits for his goalscoring but i believe that if it wasnt for snoddy he would have had a lot less goals. The cup game v liverpool showed that he would have no problem playing at a higher level.

The one thing I like about Burley is that he does try to pick technically good players like that, instead of just filling the squad with functional ones, which would be the easier option.

Riordan merits his recall altough he could still be doing with getting rid of the double chin he developed whilst at Celtic. Not sure how much we learn by picking Ross Wallace again though - and if there was ever a time to throw Kevin Kyle in then surely if was this squad? Only other gripe I have is with the omission of Neil Alexander, who is a much more reliable type than the likes of Jamie Langfield, even taking account of the fact that he's not a regular starter.

I can see why he is a fans favourite because hes a great we player.... played out his skin against Liverpool.

Lets hope he can carry that form into the Scotland games :D

1379248855-xxSCO%20STINSONxx.png

Yeah Chris Burke is a good shout, considering he's playing at a higher level than Snodgrass and seems to be fit and getting a fairly regular game in a good Cardiff team.

Glad to see Kevin Thomson in there instead of Gavin Rae as well...

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

Boyd will have to swallow a lot of pride before he gets back into the Scotland team. It's a shame because I think he's great. He would score a lot of goals.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Burley and Boyd should just shake hands and get on with trying to make Scotland a better team instead of all the bullsh!t they got involved in.

I would have Boyd starting 9 times out of 10.

Agreed, i think boyd will regret all this in years to come.

The future just ain't what it used to be

Sydney bookies are offering 7/4 about a Scotland win.

Is it worth a punt ?

:blink:

It's a friendly.

It's never 'worth a punt' as you will never have an idea of what will happen.

Oh, and Coral are offering 10/3, so you can see how seriously the British bookies think we will take the game.

Archived