Killie 3-1 Morton - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Killie 3-1 Morton

AyrshireTon

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought we were in with a shout until their second goal, which killed the game. I didn't see their penalty as a penalty as I didn't see any foul on Sammon (who 5 seconds before blocked a clearance with his hands...). Can't complain too much cos we gave a good account of ourselves.

Killie were pish though, and only won cos they were lumping the ball up to Sammon and Kyle the whole game.

It was definitely a penalty.

Guest David Edwards
donkey a bit harsh, limited abilty on the ball so is very effective aat one touch football such as the nice simple layoff he made in the second half when their guy sky'd it. great control of the ball with the chest and good in the air. distribution lets him down.

I disagree. McManus might have made him look good.

Edit to add : He's a dirty fecker as well, persistently fouling.

Like most people have said we played pretty well and matched them for most parts of the game. Our support was fantastic loads of signing even when we were losing always getting behind the team where as there fans hardly made a sound

'SPL YOUR HAVING A LAUGH'

Guest David Edwards
Like most people have said we played pretty well and matched them for most parts of the game. Our support was fantastic loads of signing even when we were losing always getting behind the team where as there fans hardly made a sound

Aye, that really cheered me up. Worth the admission price alone.

Well I doubt very much any of us would give a **** about the game if we were playing a team from the 2nd Division.

Guest David Edwards
Oh lighten up we played well against an established spl side and held our own for most of the game obviously you werent siging.

You think we played well? At what? Certainly not at football.

Anyone who thinks we played 'well' must have been on the piss at the time of their second goal. Or our attempt at a response. Until then we held our own against a dire side, after that we did little.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

You think we played well? At what? It certainly wasn't at football.

Yes i think we played well as i just said. the game was close at 1-1 then when they scored it was always going to be uphill battle but i woudnt be gutted by that performance they werent that good and 3-1 was hard on us.

Guest David Edwards
Yes i think we played well as i just said. the game was close at 1-1 then when they scored it was always going to be uphill battle but i woudnt be gutted by that performance they werent that good and 3-1 was hard on us.

'They weren't that good' is an understatement. They were s***e. But they beat us 3-1, that's what depresses me.

Aye, that really cheered me up. Worth the admission price alone.

"You're just a small team from Ayrshire"

:lol: :lol:

Quality.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Guest David Edwards
"You're just a small team from Ayrshire"

:lol: :lol:

Quality.

Aye, really witty. I'll bet you sing 'Doe A Deer' as well.

First half was very even, hardly a chance of note until they get the penalty. You could look at that one two ways...McManus should just deal with it rather than letting the keeper come, and maybe the keeper was a little slow off his line. Still, McManus was poor throughout the game, losing posession constantly and his lack of pace and awful footwork should have caught us out more had Killie been better. Both penalties were stonewallers IMO.

2nd half we came out and got right in about them, and pretty much dominated the opening 20 minutes. Graham should have just lashed at that chance when he tried to control it on thr 6 yard box, but I will say that it was quite high up for him. Still though, if that falls to any of the other 3 forwards on the park it's a goal, wee bit of inexperience from Graham, who otherwise played very well and was out biggest scoring threat. Their 2nd goal was infuriating, McGuffie I think tried to put it out for a throw, it rebounds off Kyle right into his path, putting 2 players out of position, simple cross and header. I think that was the first time they got near our box in the 2nd half, totally against the run of play, and that took the wind out of our sails. We made a few strange subs, although I would have brought Wake on I would have kept MacFarlane in there simply for the fact that we would need a sitter when we were flooding forward going for the equaliser. Then Paartalu came on and did nothing of note.

3rd goal was coming for a while, but totally flattered Killie, for me there was only 1 goal in it last night. If Graham scores that chance then I think we would have gone on to win it, I really do.

Oh well, there's always the Scottish Cup.

Really disappointed not have at least taken that to extra time. First half was pretty even - Kilmarnock looked far more comfortable in possession and you could see a difference in quality in that respect, but for all that we looked more likely to actually do something with it.

Kyle did look very threatening, mainly because for some reason we put McManus on him, and Kyle absolutely tore him apart. Conversely, whenever McManus was out of position and Greacen was dealing with Kyle, Greacen won the header every time and Kyle got nowhere against him with the ball on the deck. That's one of only two complaints I have about the way Irons set the team out, the other being that we were too narrow when defending and gave them far too much room and time to get crosses in.

Both penalties were absolute stonewallers, and we should have been down to 10 men. How McManus wasn't denying a clear goalscoring opportunity in the referee's eyes I'll never know. He had a pish game, along with Harding, and poor defending cost us there. Still, we definitely didn't deserve to be behind at half time, 1-1 was probably right. People were saying it was McWilliams who committed the foul, maybe he did have a hold of him but McManus was fouling him first.

Second half, I thought we looked far more threatening at first. We really should have got ourselves 2-1 up with the pressure we had, and Graham was really close to getting it but for a brilliant save from Combe. Then we had the ball at the back, fannied about, s***e defending again, and it's 2-1 Kilmarnock. From then on they were clearly the better side and there was only going to be one winner. Our players just lost all belief that they could pull it off after being the better side for a spell and still ending up going behind.

The third goal just confirmed that we'd chucked it; high ball dropping around the halfway line and none of our players went up for a header and let Killie take possession, soon after it was game over.

All things considered, I'm happy with the performance. We went away to an SPL team, had a go at them and were the better team for spells of the game, even though we lost our way when they got their second. Specials mentions to Graham and McWilliams, who I thought were excellent. McWilliams has had a lot of criticism for his kicking, but he dealt with everything well tonight despite the defence giving him some absolutely horrible passes to deal with. Harding and McManus did their best to make it difficult for him, but he did really well.

Kyle and Taouil played well for Kilmarnock, Frazer Wright and Simon Ford are still pish.

Back to the league, stick with the 3-5-2 please Davie. Preferably with Walker and McGregor in for Harding and McManus.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Thoroughly enjoyed the match and at 1-1 it really could have went anyway. To anyone who thought we played well then your having a laugh although we did compete well against a fairly average Kilmarnock side.

Thank god it was Kyle up front as Macedonia must be shaking in there boots (would love it to be proved wrong tho) apart from his aerial ability he offers very little. Someone with pace upfront last night would have ripped McManus & co. a new one last night.

The soups off the menu

Some thoughts on the game

1) We have been very exposed defensively down both wings since the start of the season. It cost us the game against Dunfermline and Killie exploited that weakness even more so last night. The area between the edge of the box and the touchline on both sides seems to be conceded to the opposition all the time.

2) In midfield I thought Jenkins and MacFarlane were as good as anything they had, if not better and, for me, Weatherson was the best forward on show.

3) If we were weak defensively out wide, we had even less to show going forward. Jim McAllister looks totally out of sorts and Kevin Finlayson was just Kevin. McGuffie looked better in the right mid role when Finlayson went off and for me thats where we should play him.

4) Kilmarnock had a large slice of luck with the second goal thanks to a ricochet falling kindly for there player and will be in the bottom six again this season.

5) The wee a*seholes signing about Johnny Walker/Diagio and 'I've got a job and you haven't' were a total embarrassment to decent Morton fans. Celebrating yet another international corporation taking jobs away from Scotland was not even remotely funny and was the height of insensitivity and bad taste. We should have been showing solidarity with the people of Kilmarnock, not mocking them. Of course, to show decency and good taste requires a minimal IQ which none of the culprits have!

Archived