Last Match You Went To? - Page 17 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Last Match You Went To?

Charlton 3 Bournemouth 0. New manager has tried to get rid of all the wasters who were on long contracts and has brought in 15 new signings (sound familiar), mostly paid, if the manager is to be believed, for by the sale of a teenager to Arsenal. Looked very good, compared to the dross of last season.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morecambe v Man U ( load of boys who I have never heard of except for the Keeper).

Went along to see the Shrimps new Stadium having sold Christie Park to Sainsbury's.

More or less how Christie Park was set up actually Main Stand with the rest standing both ends covered.

Nice club bar plus you can get a beer inside the Stadium although at the home end this was open to the elements so in a downpour the beer would be well watered down.

Man U kids won 2-0, Morecambe will struggle to remain in that division, pretty dire and have definitely gone downhill since their promotion to the 2nd Division.

Last time we played them in a friendly McInally era they dished out abit of a lesson but our present team would turn them over IMHO.

Charlton 3 Bournemouth 0. New manager has tried to get rid of all the wasters who were on long contracts and has brought in 15 new signings (sound familiar), mostly paid, if the manager is to be believed, for by the sale of a teenager to Arsenal. Looked very good, compared to the dross of last season.

How were Bournemouth yesterday TAFKAC?

I'm foreseeing a difficult season this term for the Cherries after overachieving big time last year. Hopefully not as dramatic as Swindon's drop to League Two having been in the play offs the previous year but just can't see things going as well this time around as they seemed to be running on empty from about February onwards.

Chelski V Rangers on Saturday, mostly because my son is a big Chelski fan. First half was good, great goal by Jelavic but Gers defending was shocking at times. Broadfoot playing his usual highly skillfull style of defending ..... :lol:

Chelski has most of there big names playing, and even had a penalty saved by Neil Alexander.

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

How were Bournemouth yesterday TAFKAC?

I'm foreseeing a difficult season this term for the Cherries after overachieving big time last year. Hopefully not as dramatic as Swindon's drop to League Two having been in the play offs the previous year but just can't see things going as well this time around as they seemed to be running on empty from about February onwards.

There probably weren't three goals in it. Bournemouth had some good passages, with their best one being the first fifteen minutes of the 2nd half. They've lost a lot of players, with Charlton picking up two of them. If Bournemouth can hold onto Ings, and Arter can avoid getting sent off they should be OK for staying up. Charlton's 2nd goal is a cracker!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14438719.stm

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

There probably weren't three goals in it. Bournemouth had some good passages, with their best one being the first fifteen minutes of the 2nd half. They've lost a lot of players, with Charlton picking up two of them. If Bournemouth can hold onto Ings, and Arter can avoid getting sent off they should be OK for staying up. Charlton's 2nd goal is a cracker!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14438719.stm

Second goal certainly was, although I felt the keeper could've done a hell of a lot better with the penalty. You'd imagine that with so many big clubs in the division such as Charlton, Huddersfield, Preston and the Sheffield clubs the likse of Bournemouth will struggle to make an impact towards the top of the table especially if, as you say they've lost the bulk of last season's squad.

Certainly looks like Charlton, going by the way they're talking are going to make a major push towards promotion this term.

Second goal certainly was, although I felt the keeper could've done a hell of a lot better with the penalty. You'd imagine that with so many big clubs in the division such as Charlton, Huddersfield, Preston and the Sheffield clubs the likse of Bournemouth will struggle to make an impact towards the top of the table especially if, as you say they've lost the bulk of last season's squad.

Certainly looks like Charlton, going by the way they're talking are going to make a major push towards promotion this term.

It's interesting. Charlton have cut their wage bill and gone for a lot of young players with Division 3 experience on longer cheaper contracts. The new signings look keener and hungrier, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

As I said in an earlier post, I pay £317 for season tickets for me and my two lads. That's part of the reason there were 16,000 there on Saturday, but it also means the money available to the manager is lower than other clubs, with smaller fanbases who charge more.

It's an interesting league, and big teams struggle to get out of it. It took Leeds and Norwich three years to get out and Charlton are in their third year.

My predictions, slightly biased, would be Huddersfield to win it, Charlton or Sheff Wed to get the 2nd automatic spot. the other three play-off positions to go to Brentford, Sheff Utd and one of Rochdale, Bournemouth or Scunthorpe.

George Bernard Shaw

Went to the Celtic/Man U legends game, was pretty good. 55000 there despite it being on telly and the ticket sales alone raised over half a million for the Oxfam African appeal.

I didn't hear one sectarian song sung all night which was nice.

41/42 now, just Pittodrie to go and I've been to all 42 grounds. :)

Went to the Celtic/Man U legends game, was pretty good. 55000 there despite it being on telly and the ticket sales alone raised over half a million for the Oxfam African appeal.

Not like you to piss off to Glasgow to see a game when Morton are playing :rolleyes: .

Aaah, wait a minute Thornton, the 'Grounds Visited' theme only applies to MORTON being the opposition, not a couple of spurious outsiders playing each other, no matter how good the cause!!!

That's why so many are waiting for an away to Hearts - think last one was 1978 and I was there - just waiting for Annan away to complete my list of all Senior Scottish grounds......

p.s. We've played Celts loadsa times at Parkheed - surely you must have been to one of those???

European Fairs Cup [aka Inter City Cup / UEFA Cup / Europa League], 30th September 1968: Morton (3) v Chelsea (4) !!!

Aaah, wait a minute Thornton, the 'Grounds Visited' theme only applies to MORTON being the opposition, not a couple of spurious outsiders playing each other, no matter how good the cause!!!

That's why so many are waiting for an away to Hearts - think last one was 1978 and I was there - just waiting for Annan away to complete my list of all Senior Scottish grounds......

p.s. We've played Celts loadsa times at Parkheed - surely you must have been to one of those???

Wouldn't agree with that. My 3 visits to Pittodrie have been to see Scotland play Nigeria, South Africa and the Faeroe Isles and I've been to Tynecastle to see Scotland v New Zealand and Hearts under 19s v Morton under 19s.

And our last competitive game against Hearts was 1988, not 1978.

Wouldn't agree with that. My 3 visits to Pittodrie have been to see Scotland play Nigeria, South Africa and the Faeroe Isles and I've been to Tynecastle to see Scotland v New Zealand and Hearts under 19s v Morton under 19s.

And our last competitive game against Hearts was 1988, not 1978.

Should they count then, I thought too it was to watch Morton play the opposition.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

I've been to every Scottish senior ground apart from Tynecastle if we're not counting Ton matches, was at Nigeria and South Africa friendlies in Aberdeen, various matches at OF grounds including Faroes match in 2006 at Parkhead.

More importantly, I've never seen Morton play at Ibrox, Parkhead, Pittodrie or Tynecastle. Maybe we'll get a run going in the two cups? :)

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Not like you to piss off to Glasgow to see a game when Morton are playing :rolleyes: .

Work 9-5 and have to arrange visits for the next day afterwards, so couldn't have gone even if I wanted to (would have back far too late, need my sleep!). :rolleyes:

Chris, we've played Celtic once at Parkhead that I can think of (although I don't remember it) and that was before I went to games myself (my Dad wouldn't go to Celtic Park).

Hearts I lived nearby and my Lithuanian mate wanted to go, and again we haven't played them that I can remember (home or away)!

But Annan we've definitely played fairly recently cos I went to that! :P

41/42, race you! :P

I remember the last time I was at Selic Park for a Scottish Cup game

Braatback scored I recall, and Larrson missed a pen :D

Think we lost 0-2 but can't remember

All I can remember vividly was the abuse we got from Selic fans who automatically thought we must be R*nger fans in disguise

Having said that, went to Ibrox when we played them in the Coca Cola Cup (Gazza's debut) and got spat on for being a **** etc

You cannot win with OF scum

That's why so many are waiting for an away to Hearts - think last one was 1978 and I was there -

I'm sure I was there at least 3 times in the mid to late 80's watching Morton. Think 2 games were in the league, and 1 was in the cup. (we took a big support to the cup game, I think)

Chris, we've played Celtic once at Parkhead that I can think of (although I don't remember it) and that was before I went to games myself (my Dad wouldn't go to Celtic Park).

Hearts I lived nearby and my Lithuanian mate wanted to go, and again we haven't played them that I can remember (home or away)!

Me and Theresa were still stuck in (the fantastically, brilliant, amazing) Budapest when the Annan friendly was on last summer, hence the reason it it is the only major ground I have not been to....

European Fairs Cup [aka Inter City Cup / UEFA Cup / Europa League], 30th September 1968: Morton (3) v Chelsea (4) !!!

Me and Theresa were still stuck in (the fantastically, brilliant, amazing) Budapest when the Annan friendly was on last summer, hence the reason it it is the only major ground I have not been to....

Have also been to a few games (2/3?) @ pittodrie v Abdn - how did u miss those if u r on 41/42?!? :blush: :unsure: ^_^ :lol:

Have also been to a few games (2/3?) @ pittodrie v Abdn - how did u miss those if u r on 41/42?!? :blush: :unsure: ^_^ :lol:

Because he's younger than you and our last trip to Pittodrie was a Scottish Cup tie 20 years ago before his time watching Morton perhaps :blink: ?

Archived