Last Match You Went To? - Page 18 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Last Match You Went To?

I went to see Beith v Kilbirnie Ladeside in the Scottish Junior Cup last March and it was the same, there was more or less a full scale riot! it was like the early 80s again, terrific atmosphere are a full blooded game!

Kilbirnie won 1-0, crowd was about 1300.

I quite like Beith they are a well run junior club and have a tidy wee ground, have been to see them a couple of times including last Saturday v Ashfield.

JB.

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a free ticket through work for FC Augsburg V Hoffenheim on Saturday past so went along with my boss.

Cracking atmosphere created by the 30,004 crowd in a packed stadium. The ground was only built for the start of last season, and while it is obviously rather no frills, it really doesn't detract from the atmosphere, mainly due to the large standing area behind the home goal. It also helps that the away fans have a standing area also. I was sitting pretty close to the away crowd, and the 1,000 or so travelling fans made quite a din throughout.

On to the football, the game itself was quite entertaining, with Hoffenheim being by far the better side. They opened the scoring after only 5 minutes through Ryan Babel, who was by a distance the best player on the pitch. Augsburg played in a stuffy 4-5-1 formation and didn't really create much in the first half.

From the half-time break, Augsburg came out firing on all cylinders, and won a rather dodgy penatly around the 60th minute, which the keeper duly saved. They still kept pushing, and a subsitute hit the post after being put clear through on goal literally 45 seconds after coming on. They continued to huff and puff without really making many chances, and then against the run of play Hoffenheim won a penalty of the own, which was confidently scored and after that Hoffenheim just played the game out comfortably.

All in all it was a pretty good day, although by god was it warm. I had it as 34 degrees during play, but the three beers I had cooled me down :D

Got a free ticket through work for FC Augsburg V Hoffenheim on Saturday past so went along with my boss.

Cracking atmosphere created by the 30,004 crowd in a packed stadium. The ground was only built for the start of last season, and while it is obviously rather no frills, it really doesn't detract from the atmosphere, mainly due to the large standing area behind the home goal. It also helps that the away fans have a standing area also. I was sitting pretty close to the away crowd, and the 1,000 or so travelling fans made quite a din throughout.

On to the football, the game itself was quite entertaining, with Hoffenheim being by far the better side. They opened the scoring after only 5 minutes through Ryan Babel, who was by a distance the best player on the pitch. Augsburg played in a stuffy 4-5-1 formation and didn't really create much in the first half.

From the half-time break, Augsburg came out firing on all cylinders, and won a rather dodgy penatly around the 60th minute, which the keeper duly saved. They still kept pushing, and a subsitute hit the post after being put clear through on goal literally 45 seconds after coming on. They continued to huff and puff without really making many chances, and then against the run of play Hoffenheim won a penalty of the own, which was confidently scored and after that Hoffenheim just played the game out comfortably.

All in all it was a pretty good day, although by god was it warm. I had it as 34 degrees during play, but the three beers I had cooled me down :D

I spent an hour driving round Augsburg two years ago trying to find the new stadium when it was just about finished. Found the old one easy enough, but never did find the new one (even with directions from the club shop and sat nav...) :(

I spent an hour driving round Augsburg two years ago trying to find the new stadium when it was just about finished. Found the old one easy enough, but never did find the new one (even with directions from the club shop and sat nav...) :(

The new ground is pretty impressive, and I learned quite a lot about it from my boss. A guy who works for my company is on the board at Augsburg, and helped to do several deals to finance the stadium. It cost €40 million and can hold just under 31,000, withthe typical standing area behind the goal for German stadia.

You can get a ticket for the standing area for just €13, and we were in the most expensive seats which cost €33. Really shows you that the Premiership is ripping people off when you can get into a Bundesliga game for those sort of prices.

Aaah, wait a minute Thornton, the 'Grounds Visited' theme only applies to MORTON being the opposition, not a couple of spurious outsiders playing each other, no matter how good the cause!!!

That's why so many are waiting for an away to Hearts - think last one was 1978 and I was there - just waiting for Annan away to complete my list of all Senior Scottish grounds......

p.s. We've played Celts loadsa times at Parkheed - surely you must have been to one of those???

Disagree with the top point. I'd done about 30 grounds when I left Scotland in 89, and the lower league grounds had to be done independently as we never dropped into the second division when I was going regularly.

I'm sure i got chased along Gorgie Road in the mid 80s, when Morton played there.

Finally, Went to Bury v Charlton yesterday. A good 2-1 win for Charlton and it allowed my boys to see what lower league football is really about. A crowd of just over 3,000, of which Charlton supplied about 6/700. Paddy Cregg played for Bury and looked nothing special. No real pace to him and the game seemed to pass him by.

Nice to see all my clubs (Morton, Charlton and Polonia) sitting joint top of their leagues. It'll never last.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

• 2 weeks later...

FC Wacker Innsbruck 0-5 SV Josko Reid

Attendance: 6,300 ish

Strange strange game that could have been so different. Wacker came right out the traps early on, and should have scored in the second minute with a shot which hit the post, and then the follow up being blazed over from about 4 yards. Kind of set the tone for the day that the home team would have, and a minute later Reid scored. Wide on the left the Reid winger tried to whip in a cross, it was blocked by the full back and dropped on the corner of the box, and the winger just rattled a first time shot into the far top corner, magnificent strike if a little fortuitous.

After that, the Wacker players just looked beaten, and were trying to push forward, but were continually caught on the break by Reid, and coupled with a shocking defence and an inexperienced goalkeeper, Wacker just continued to leak goals on the break, and were 3-0 down at half time.

Start of the second half, the home team did a lot of pressing, and had some good chances, but continually failed to hit the target, and it was no surprise that Reid scored more. The fifth goal in particular was ambarrassing for the young home keeper, only playing as the number 1 has a broken jaw. A high ball came into the box, and the keeper tried to come through a ruck of players to take it, got half a hand to it, and it dropped to one of the Reid players who lashed it home.

The fans were the biggest surprise to me yesterday, as depite taking an embarrassing thrashing, they kept singing and chanting right until the end, with the only real lull coming after the third goal went in, probably out of sheer shock. I'm not sure if I think that's a positive or a negative though, and I can't imagine singing songs when 5-0 down at home :unsure:

You can get a ticket for the standing area for just €13, and we were in the most expensive seats which cost €33. Really shows you that the Premiership is ripping people off when you can get into a Bundesliga game for those sort of prices.

In what way? The Premier League has much better players in it, and I paid £15 for Villa v Arsenal.

It's a matter of perception I suppose, and how you word it, but £30 to watch Augsburg v Mainz or £35 to watch two former European champions play: Aston Villa v Manchester United.

Just for the record: Aston Vila v Bolton Wanderers (Carling Cup) = £5 for the cheapest adult tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

Villa v Wigan

Routine win for the home team. Some nice chances for both teams but overall it was a bit flat.

From a Scottish point of view;

Barry Bannan - Just outstanding

Alan Hutton - Good game, questionable at times in defence but always managed to retrieve situations he should maybe have dealt with better first time around.

Super sub Shaun Maloney - Well, not so much of the super. Seems to have made a career out of the bench at Villa, Celtic and now Wigan. Applauded on by both sets of fans, can't remember him after that.

James Macarthur - Lively when he came out but quickly faded into the background.

Gary Caldwell - Slow and clumsy, not a winning combination.

James McCarthy - Ol traitor boy was gash. Looks to be carrying a bit of timber as well.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

With the Partick game on Friday, a few of us decided to go to Sheffield again for United's game against Charlton, which the visitors won 2-0. Wasn't overly impressed with either team, although given their relative positions in the table, Charlton should be delighted with the result, having not played great. They were solid and unspectacular but took their chances and ran out deserved winners over a mediocre Blades team with second half goals from Yann Kermogant (he of the youtube video fame) and Bradley Wright-Phillips.

As I said on a previous post on this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if Charlton go on and take the title, with possibly Huddersfield being their biggest threat. The best Sheffield United can hope for is the play offs, although an other year in League One at least looks likely.

Got a night out in Sheffield and then went onto the Reebok for Bolton v Chelsea, thanks to a mate of Jim's coming up with some spare season tickets. Chelsea were absolutely outstanding and had they not taken the foot off the gas in the second half we were looking at a Premier League record away win. Bolton just weren't at the races all day and watching Meireles, Lampard and Drogba in particular was an absolute joy.

Great weekend, if that's one of the side effects of Friday night football I'm all for it :).

With the Partick game on Friday, a few of us decided to go to Sheffield again for United's game against Charlton, which the visitors won 2-0. Wasn't overly impressed with either team, although given their relative positions in the table, Charlton should be delighted with the result, having not played great. They were solid and unspectacular but took their chances and ran out deserved winners over a mediocre Blades team with second half goals from Yann Kermogant (he of the youtube video fame) and Bradley Wright-Phillips.

As I said on a previous post on this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if Charlton go on and take the title, with possibly Huddersfield being their biggest threat. The best Sheffield United can hope for is the play offs, although an other year in League One at least looks likely.

Got a night out in Sheffield and then went onto the Reebok for Bolton v Chelsea, thanks to a mate of Jim's coming up with some spare season tickets. Chelsea were absolutely outstanding and had they not taken the foot off the gas in the second half we were looking at a Premier League record away win. Bolton just weren't at the races all day and watching Meireles, Lampard and Drogba in particular was an absolute joy.

Great weekend, if that's one of the side effects of Friday night football I'm all for it :).

Cheers Toby. Been a big week for Charlton - played away against the two team directly below them in 4 days and took 4 points out of 6, plus the win on the Saturday beforehand. So not surprised the team were a bit jaded. How did Stephens (no8) play?

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Cheers Toby. Been a big week for Charlton - played away against the two team directly below them in 4 days and took 4 points out of 6, plus the win on the Saturday beforehand. So not surprised the team were a bit jaded. How did Stephens (no8) play?

To be honest, not knowing too many of the players I wasn't really concentrating on individual performances. One thing I'd certainly say was that the fans were on form- to the tune of "Kumbaya, My Lord", "She Said No, Evans, She Said No" in reference to the rape allegations against Ched Evans :lol: .

Looks like you'll be enjoying your season watching Charlton this term. Take it the price will be too short by now for a wee bet on them though.

Villa v Wigan

Routine win for the home team. Some nice chances for both teams but overall it was a bit flat.

From a Scottish point of view;

Barry Bannan - Just outstanding

Alan Hutton - Good game, questionable at times in defence but always managed to retrieve situations he should maybe have dealt with better first time around.

Super sub Shaun Maloney - Well, not so much of the super. Seems to have made a career out of the bench at Villa, Celtic and now Wigan. Applauded on by both sets of fans, can't remember him after that.

James Macarthur - Lively when he came out but quickly faded into the background.

Gary Caldwell - Slow and clumsy, not a winning combination.

James McCarthy - Ol traitor boy was gash. Looks to be carrying a bit of timber as well.

With Wigan being my 'local team' now, I went to see them vs Spurs the weekend before last. My opinions on the Scottish connections for Wigan were the same as yours, except that I thought McCarthy contributed quite a bit. If the rest of the Wigan team fancied working as hard as he did, they might get somewhere. Particularly Franco Di Santo, who has to be the laziest striker I have ever seen at that level.

I went to this game though to watch Spurs, and for the first 20 mins, they did not disappoint. Parker, Modric and R VdV were playing some lovely stuff. But it didn't last and Wigan fought themselves back into the game, and even with 10 men, they still looked the better team in the second half. I think consistency will be a major problem for them this year.

However, in Scott Parker, they have themselves some bargain! Was head and shoulders above any other man on the pitch. Class act.

To be honest, not knowing too many of the players I wasn't really concentrating on individual performances. One thing I'd certainly say was that the fans were on form- to the tune of "Kumbaya, My Lord", "She Said No, Evans, She Said No" in reference to the rape allegations against Ched Evans :lol: .

Looks like you'll be enjoying your season watching Charlton this term. Take it the price will be too short by now for a wee bet on them though.

Thanks for that. Never met a poor bookie yet, so no intention of funding their retirement funds. I'm such a conservative gambler, I still run the two pocket trick when I go to the dogs.

George Bernard Shaw

• 2 weeks later...

was at the champs league game Man City 2 Villareal 1 (or for those that left at 85min 1-1 :blink: )

I think the visiting manager modelled himself on Craig Levin CZ away tactics after they went 1 up. One line accross the 18yard box and another 10 yards ahead of it - and an ok lets see what you can do City. and for far too long they could not. 70% city possession got flashed up on the scoreboard, at a point the visiting keeper had yet to be called on to make a save.

going to have to move up at least 2 gears to avoid a defeat in Sunday's top of the table clash at OT.

Does anyone know what are the official rules in engerland about what you can take in to a ground?

We had our usual squishy drinks like capri-sun for the kids, but saw loads of folks with flasks and plastic bottles and stewards not bothered.

Oh and club constantly appealing for fans to stop throwing items onto pitch - the rolled up blue and white sheets the club had provided to form the pre-match mosaic :lol: bet they dont rush to do that again in a hurray.

Does anyone know what are the official rules in engerland about what you can take in to a ground?

We had our usual squishy drinks like capri-sun for the kids, but saw loads of folks with flasks and plastic bottles and stewards not bothered.

Plastic bottles are okay, but you have to hand over the caps before entering the stands.

Watched Charlton demolish Carlisle 4-0 this afternoon. A good result, helped by Carlisle trying to play football.

George Bernard Shaw

Watched the Liverpool v Rangers game last Tuesday, typical run of the mill friendly. If Liverpool had even tried to attack they would have walked the game. Make Rangers look better than they were.

Today went to the Pollok v Cumnock game. Finished 3-2 to pollok. They went one down to a dubious penalty but ralied back to be 3-1 up at half time and coasting. Second half was dire until the last 5 mins. Cumnock got a goal then and made it a bit exciting near the end.

Oh and the left back at Pollok could do a job for us. Hard tackler, hard worker, cool under presure, does the simple things well.

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

Archived