TheMortonForum.com
Sign in to follow this  
TONofmemories

SPFL Clubs to Vote

Think about it, Falkirk were denied a play off place in 2001 and promotion in 2003 because they didn't adhere to the rules and nearly 20 years on, they're still whining about the injustice of it all.

We'll hear about this forever and a day. And I for one cannot wait :).

Edited by Toby
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's no completely fair outcome. Promoting Falkirk would be no more fair than relegating Partick Thistle. Indeed, up to this point in the season, Thistle are closer to deserving relegation than Falkirk are to deserving promotion.

Personally I think there should be minimum detriment, which at least means no relegation for teams not yet relegated. No relegation and temporary league reconstruction. Teams not being promoted don’t *lose* something that they have. Teams being relegated too. There might be unjust beneficiaries but that’s better I think than unjust relegation.

I also suspect that’s where we’ll end up to avoid Hearts, or Thistle maybe, challenging in court.

Edited by cmdc

Hearts confirming that they will vote with Rangers against the proposal. Their statement is more measured right enough.

Still would take another 2 Premiership teams to vote it down.

Think about it, Falkirk were denied a play off place in 2001 and promotion in 2003 because they didn't adhere to the rules and nearly 20 years on, they're still whining about the injustice of it all.

We'll here about this forever and a day. And I for one cannot wait :).

Its fucking brilliant eh. I absolutely despise that club.

Fucked out of promotion 3 times in recent years but its NEVER their fault. So, so tasty.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Personally I think there should be minimum detriment, which at least means no relegation for teams not yet relegated. No relegation and temporary league reconstruction. Teams not being promoted don’t *lose* something that they have. Teams being relegated too. There might be unjust beneficiaries but that’s better I think than unjust relegation.

I also suspect that’s where we’ll end up to avoid Hearts, or Thistle maybe, challenging in court.

Why do Thistle (currently 5 points and 2 positions from automatic safety) deserve to be in the Championship more than Airdrie (currently 5 points and 2 positions from automatic promotion)? They both have exactly the same thing to gain or lose next season, i.e. a place in the Championship. They are in exactly the same position with regards to the fairness of their claim for next season.

To put it in perspective. We would have been denied promotion for being outside the top two if the season ended early in the 14/15 season. Brechin would have been saved from relegation from the Championship in the season that they failed to win a match. I don't think there's anything inherently fairer in saving a team from relegation than denying a team promotion. Teams looking to be promoted and looking to avoid relegation are playing for the same thing.

A simple a response this may be, but theres absolutely hee haw unjust about those coffee drinking luvvies being relegated. They're a horrible rabble.

Aware that this probably doesnt stand up in court, but that's not a battle that affects Morton.

GET THEM DOON

TIME FOR CHANGE!

A simple a response this may be, but theres absolutely hee haw unjust about those coffee drinking luvvies being relegated. They're a horrible rabble.

Aware that this probably doesnt stand up in court, but that's not a battle that affects Morton.

GET THEM DOON

Which reminds me - Scotland’s most senior judge is a Falkirk fan...

Why do Thistle (currently 5 points and 2 positions from automatic safety) deserve to be in the Championship more than Airdrie (currently 5 points and 2 positions from automatic promotion)? They both have exactly the same thing to gain or lose next season, i.e. a place in the Championship. They are in exactly the same position with regards to the fairness of their claim for next season.

To put it in perspective. We would have been denied promotion for being outside the top two if the season ended early in the 14/15 season. Brechin would have been saved from relegation from the Championship in the season that they failed to win a match. I don't think there's anything inherently fairer in saving a team from relegation than denying a team promotion. Teams looking to be promoted and looking to avoid relegation are playing for the same thing.

I would say possession is the difference where there are no straightforwardly fair answers.

I suspect you're right, and we'll see a 14 team Premiership.

My preference is anything the fucks up Partick and Falkirk. Litlle else really matters, although I'm vehemently against a 16 team Premiership that would see Ayr United promoted.

But what's the knock on effect of a 14 team Premiership? Do we move to 14-10-10-10? Or 14-10-10-8?

We're either looking at a 28 game League Two next season, a permanent 14-10-10-10 or two, possibly three teams being relegated out of the SPFL next season. And what about the knock on effect to the pyramid below the SPFL? There's enough going on below the SPFL next season with the West of Scotland League starting up and multiple conferences in place to sort out clubs' positions down there. We could end up with a logistical nightmare.

The current system isn't perfect, but considering the size of our country, I think it's about the best we can really do. I like that we have a relatively strong second tier and making leagues bigger just dilutes that.

I personally wouldn't be handing out titles- promote the team at the top, yes, but don't record them as champions. If it was Morton at the top of a table I'd be a bit embarrassed about being hailed as Champions. Clubs win titles, they aren't awarded them.

The best solution is to promote and relegate one per division. That it happens to upset Falkirk and Partick is just tough titty. Get doon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would say possession is the difference where there are no straightforwardly fair answers.

So, Dundee Utd, Raith, and Cove stay where they are then?

So, Dundee Utd, Raith, and Cove stay where they are then?

No, because it’s a no detriment principle, not one based on an overall effect so wouldn’t apply.

No, because it’s a no detriment principle, not one based on an overall effect so wouldn’t apply.

It certainly would have been to the detriment of us in 14/15.

It certainly would have been to the detriment of us in 14/15.

Who would have gone up as runner up? Wouldn’t it have been Morton? I can’t remember.

18 team top tier

18 team second tier

Regionalise everything else. 36 "pro" teams rather than 42 and a stronger regional setup especially with many of the bigger junior teams jumping ship.

I've always fancied that.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Whatever the outcome, the seething mess of fans of the media luvvies and the three-sided seaside stadium mob has fair perked up my day. At this point, I don't care of it is the 'right' answer, it would be a welcome outcome.

Who would have gone up as runner up? Wouldn’t it have been Morton? I can’t remember.

I can't remember it week by week, but there were several weeks when we were 3rd. I don't think we were top all season until we went into the last match. We had been 3rd for several weeks until the last 2 or 3 games. It certainly would have been a lottery for us which week the season ended on. We were 4 points behind Stranraer and 3 behind Forfar with 4 games to go, I think, and it had been that way for a few weeks. Certainly not too dissimilar a position to Airdrie as things stand.

I do get where you're coming from with the promotion but no relegation notion, but I don't think that it's at all fairer.

I can't remember it week by week, but there were several weeks when we were 3rd. I don't think we were top all season until we went into the last match. We had been 3rd for several weeks until the last 2 or 3 games. It certainly would have been a lottery for us which week the season ended on. We were 4 points behind Stranraer and 3 behind Forfar with 4 games to go, I think, and it had been that way for a few weeks. Certainly not too dissimilar a position to Airdrie as things stand.

I do get where you're coming from with the promotion but no relegation notion, but I don't think that it's at all fairer.

I remember going top by beating Airdrie the day after Scotland beat Ireland at Celtic Park in November. We beat Stenhousemuir at home the following week, so would've remained top, before getting knocked out the cup by Spartans a week later and were probably knocked off the top a week after that when we lost at Stranraer.

After that we were playing for snookers until Peterhead beat Forfar on the third last day and didn't go top until we beat Stranraer in the penultimate game down there.

• Upvote 1

At last some good news.

Would be happy for my season ticket balance to be channelled through the MCT debt right off process.

No great loss anyway as I couldn't make two of the games.

Off to Pie and B for more happy reading.

18 team top tier

18 team second tier

Regionalise everything else. 36 "pro" teams rather than 42 and a stronger regional setup especially with many of the bigger junior teams jumping ship.

I've always fancied that.

Three leagues of 16, each playing 30 league games a season.

You know I hate every pop star that I ever met.

I remember going top by beating Airdrie the day after Scotland beat Ireland at Celtic Park in November. We beat Stenhousemuir at home the following week, so would've remained top, before getting knocked out the cup by Spartans a week later and were probably knocked off the top a week after that when we lost at Stranraer.

After that we were playing for snookers until Peterhead beat Forfar on the third last day and didn't go top until we beat Stranraer in the penultimate game down there.

I still have nightmares about Celtic Park after that Ireland game. I was caught up in the turnstile problems before kick-off and there was crushing outside the ground. I'm surprised that nobody was seriously hurt.

You know I hate every pop star that I ever met.

I still have nightmares about Celtic Park after that Ireland game. I was caught up in the turnstile problems before kick-off and there was crushing outside the ground. I'm surprised that nobody was seriously hurt.

Didn’t a boy fall from one of the top tiers and die? Was it that game?

Didn’t a boy fall from one of the top tiers and die? Was it that game?

Tried to slide down a banister on his way out the ground and it ended tragically I’m sure. Think you’re right about it being that game though.

On what basis can they make a legal challenge?

1) The SPFL rules that they both freely signed up to allows its board to sort out the leagues in the event of not completing 38 games.

2) Nobody can seriously challenge that the coronavirus shutdown meets that category and makes it completely impractical to fulfil all outstanding fixtures.

3) Hearts and Partick each have a vote against the proposal that requires three quarters of SPFL clubs and clear majorities in all four divisions to be ratified.

4) Top flight, second tier status etc. is not inalienable private property held by a club.

At no point so far has the SPFL done anything other than follow its rulebook; just because a handful of clubs might not like the outcome doesn’t mean that they have a credible legal case against it. Which is why despite all of Falkirk’s blubbering about the SPL, even those professional victims didn’t drag their gormless case before the courts.

If Hearts or ‘Thistle (boak’) want to try their luck then the SPFL should simply let the best available lawyers run up the clock for them and pass on the costs to those two tantrum clubs. Which hopefully cripples them.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Yeah, that's right. Our league form nose-dived after the the Spartans loss and we didn't catch up till the very end.

I imagine Jim Duffy's time at Morton would have been much shorter if that season was called early and we lost our chance at promotion. The comeback against Stenny and the subsequent final matches were surely the only thing that saved his job that season. Paul McMullen missing a one on one with Gaston with us 2-0 down was such a turning point. I'd love to relive that match from that miss.