Greenock Morton Club Strategy 2024-2027 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Greenock Morton Club Strategy 2024-2027

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Looks good on paper. I'd be interested to hear about 'the How ' as well as the 'what' and I'm sure it'll come. Well done to the club for putting a strategic plan together and sharing this. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

28 minutes ago, Scott said:

Interesting that the club want to be a “top 16” club in Scotland. Does this mean we’re planning a top 4 squad budget going forward? 

I think that its more of a statement of intent on where we want to be as opposed to an immediate commitment/expectation/deliverable.  A lot of the other stuff mentioned in this document around the club culture, academy, player development, sustainable transfer model etc all play into this just as much as budget alone does. 

In recent seasons we have seen plenty of examples of clubs like Partick, Inverness, Dunfermline  failing to make the top 4 (or even worse ending up relegated), and relative minnows like Ayr & Arbroath punching above their weight, so I am actually really happy that we are looking to put a plan in place that doesn't rely solely on us outspending the opposition.

Personally I think this is an excellent piece of work - we are making a clear statement about where we want to see ourselves over the next 3 years, and laying out a clear strategy on how we intend to go about achieving it.  Yes of course this document is light on specific detail, but you need to lay out the long term vision/big picture before getting down into the weeds. 

When I started reading it I was a bit skeptical that the first 2-3 pages were a bit generic and light on detail, but the last couple of pages definitely start to break it down into specifics.  In theory we could revisit this document 3 years from now and put either a tick or a cross against each of the bullet points on those last 2 pages (which is something I hope the club does)

This is a great starting point - if future decisions are made in accordance with the guiding principles in this document then we will definitely see the club continuing to move in the right direction in the next few years.

Edited by Greacen2000
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

In theory we could revisit this document 3 years from now and put either a tick or a cross against each of the bullet points on those last 2 pages (which is something I hope the club does) 

They make a point of saying that the strategic goals are measurable, so I think that's the exact plan. 

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

They make a point of saying that the strategic goals are measurable, so I think that's the exact plan. 

That's not the strategic goals I'd assume - those are the distinct points under each strategy (which are also unmeasurable waffle in places - welcome to any organisation). 

The bit above reads as more of a statement of purpose which 'key stakeholders' have been given an 'opportunity to shape'.

Hopefully they did a better job of doing it than getting the players to create a word pyramid of aspirational buzzwords using Blu-tak and paper, or a circular yes and ho thought strategy.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are