Who Is The Most Famous Ex Morton Player - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Is The Most Famous Ex Morton Player

Malt

With regards to the title, I mean, if you spoke to a non Morton supporing fan and asked them what they knew about Morton, what player are they most likely to name or link to the club?

Tough question when you are a Morton fan as you could name a ton. However, Andy Ritchie and Alan McGraw would be the two names for me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With regards to the title, I mean, if you spoke to a non Morton supporing fan and asked them what they knew about Morton, what player are they most likely to name or link to the club?

Tough question when you are a Morton fan as you could name a ton. However, Andy Ritchie and Alan McGraw would be the two names for me.

To a wider audience, I'd think Joe Jordan.

As an out of towner, I speak to a lot of football fans who have no connection to Morton or the Greenock area. What i've found is those over 40 tend to remember Ritchie and those under 40 remember Rajamaki.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I thought that Toby but a lot of people may not now he played for Morton as he is arguably more known for his time at other clubs.

In terms of his contribution to the club, yes I agree. But if I were to talk to a complete stranger (I had the conversation with some Sheffield United fans before the pre-season game), the first person I'd mention that I'd expect them to have heard of would be Joe Jordan. McGraw and Ritchie are relevant to us, but outwith ourselves and Scottish football, with the passage of time have been forgotten.

That's no slight on them, but it's the same with a lot of clubs. For example, Kevin McAllister was a Falkirk legend whilst Chris Waddle had a brief spell there- Waddle however played in a European Cup Final and a World Cup Semi Final. The same can be said with Hibs with Franck Sauzzee and the famous five, or even Rangers with Jim Baxter and Paul Gascoigne.

In terms of his contribution to the club, yes I agree. But if I were to talk to a complete stranger (I had the conversation with some Sheffield United fans before the pre-season game), the first person I'd mention that I'd expect them to have heard of would be Joe Jordan. McGraw and Ritchie are relevant to us, but outwith ourselves and Scottish football, with the passage of time have been forgotten.

That's no slight on them, but it's the same with a lot of clubs. For example, Kevin McAllister was a Falkirk legend whilst Chris Waddle had a brief spell there- Waddle however played in a European Cup Final and a World Cup Semi Final. The same can be said with Hibs with Franck Sauzzee and the famous five, or even Rangers with Jim Baxter and Paul Gascoigne.

Ah yes, Chris Waddle at Falkirk. I remember being young when he signed for Falkirk and wondering why/how they had an ex England International while we had Ian McDonald and his Perm in midfield!

I don't think many folk would actually think of Joe Jordan unprompted although he is certainly one of the most famous ex-Morton players. The longer ago the players played for us, the less people will know of them.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Joe Jordan may well be, but how many people would remember he played for us. Also think age and geography are issues:

Scottish football fans 40 plus:

Ritchie;Harper; Jordan; McGhee;Sorensen; Johansen;McGraw; Cowan; Steel

Scottish football fans 40 & under:

Ritchie (everyone seems to know him); Alexander; McInnes;Weatherson; Rajamaki (for the hair I think)

English football fans (all ages & clubs) :

Anyone from Cowan; Jordan; McLauglin; Hopkin; McInnes

God, overall it's hard to say maybe McGraw or Jordan

(Edit to say: Martin Compston is actually not a bad call {as mentioned above} although obviously not for his playing record)

Duty Now For The Future !

Guest Eric M.

Apart from those mentioned Neil Orr( West Ham) and Bobby Collins ( Celtic, Everton, Leeds United and Scotland). If you're a Celtic fan possibly Lisbon Lions John Clark and Stevie Chalmers. The list goes on.

As an out of towner, I speak to a lot of football fans who have no connection to Morton or the Greenock area. What i've found is those over 40 tend to remember Ritchie and those under 40 remember Rajamaki.

Yup, that's what I've found, most mention Andy Ritchie and then it's Rajamaki (or similar pronouncement) - most seem to think that Rajamaki was a great player for some reason.

Archived