Rangers Tax Case - Page 4 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Rangers Tax Case

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been 1988 since we last played Rangers regularly in the league. What's the chances of them getting shifted to div 1? Slim?

As I said above, normally any new club introduced into the Scottish League structure has to start in the 3rd division, like Livi, Ross Co, Annan, Gretna and Inverness Cally all had to do. Can't remember if Airdrie Utd started in the 3rd division or not but they may be a different case because they took over the membership of another club so in some sense they weren't 'new' members. So if the newco take up the membership of Rangers as a new an seperate company/club then they should start in the 3rd division.

Won't happen though, for the reasons also mentioned above.

WDE full again with 'Gers fans?

.....not quite as many as on the vid below though from Dec 1948 (estimated crowd of 25,000)

O5xysJUlyMM&hd=1

What, the 1948 game that has a wee caption saying "1953" at the top?

Regarding a new club, if a new club took over the old RFC and bought them from administrators they could stay in the SPL as I think I'm correct in saying that the SPL penalty for administration is not demotion to the 3rd division of the SFL (it being a different league) but is a simple deduction of points. Probably the case that that would see them avoid relegation as they're probably sufficiently far above last place already. I'm not sure what happens when a club folds mid-season but no doubt the administrators would try to keep them trading until the end of the season, no doubt with the connivance of the SPL a la Gretna.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Yes Airdrie Utd took on Clydebank’s membership in the 1st and I think Gretna came in to replace Airdrie the membership of the SFA/ SPL is an asset and as such it is up to the administrators what they want to do with it think you are right that the SPL only give 10 points if they go in to administration

Personally I would like to see the new co having to apply with every other team that would want to take on membership and have to work their way up the system. But if the spl/sfa membership is up for grabs perhaps Mr ray could put in a bid

I am dyslexic and I am getting tired of your shirt

Would love to see the newco being forced to start again from the 3rd division, as they should. But I'm 100% certain that the SPL chairman will bend/change the rules and let them straight back into the SPL. They're far more worried about the loss of TV revenue and gate money than natural justice, I'm afraid.

I was thinking about that the other day.

What would happen if they did reapply and someone else did as well or they didn't have an open application to allow others the chance? Surely there would be a legal case against the league then??

I was thinking about that the other day.

What would happen if they did reapply and someone else did as well or they didn't have an open application to allow others the chance? Surely there would be a legal case against the league then??

No becomes it is not an open and transparent way of working anyway each SFL member club get a vote of who to take and we all know it’s not going to be Spartans is it

So it’s legal and democratic

It sucks lol

I am dyslexic and I am getting tired of your shirt

.....not quite as many as on the vid below though from Dec 1948 (estimated crowd of 25,000)

O5xysJUlyMM&hd=1

And with Morton's record attendance being recorded as 22,500 against Celtic in 1922?

Thank you FlyerTon, fountain of knowledge :rolleyes: .

And with Morton's record attendance being recorded as 22,500 against Celtic in 1922?

Thank you FlyerTon, fountain of knowledge :rolleyes: .

Did we not have 23,000 against Motherwell for the 1963 League Cup quarter final second leg? Won 2-0.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Guest David Edwards
Would love to see the newco being forced to start again from the 3rd division, as they should. But I'm 100% certain that the SPL chairman will bend/change the rules and let them straight back into the SPL. They're far more worried about the loss of TV revenue and gate money than natural justice, I'm afraid.

That's the way I see it too, in fact I could even see Celtic doing a whip round for Rangers. They know that having the Battle of The Boyne re-fought at least 4 times a season is big box office that would be too sore to lose.

Indeed, it was 1953 I was looking at the 1948 Scottish Cup Final between Rangers and Morton (in front of a crowd in the region of 130,000 at Hampden - possibly 'Tons last best chance of winning this cup to date - ended in a draw)

No becomes it is not an open and transparent way of working anyway each SFL member club get a vote of who to take and we all know it’s not going to be Spartans is it

So it’s legal and democratic

It sucks lol

Spot on. The SPL is completely seperate to the SFL, it has no obligation to admit an SFL club to fill the gap. Also, the SKY deal for 120 million was dependant on 4 Glasgow derbies a season. SO anyone htinking Rangers Athletic or somehting similar wont be in the SPL next season is mad. Turkeys dont vote for christmas.

Apparently Kanu was at Ibrox till late last night as part of an attempted transfer. Ally McCoist released a statement saying the club and the team were up s*** creek without a paddle, so a Kanu seemed an obvious buy.

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Spot on. The SPL is completely seperate to the SFL, it has no obligation to admit an SFL club to fill the gap. Also, the SKY deal for 120 million was dependant on 4 Glasgow derbies a season. SO anyone htinking Rangers Athletic or somehting similar wont be in the SPL next season is mad. Turkeys dont vote for christmas.

However, with Michel Platini being a big advocate of this financial fair play, I wonder what UEFA's view of the SPL allowing a new club to rise from the ashes of Rangers and automatically take their place in the SPL.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but the SPL's hands may well be tied on the matter.

Archived