Grady In The Paper - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Grady In The Paper

MORTON1985

"We had to work so hard to get everyone singing off the same hymn sheet again, but it's definitely coming.

"We're rebuilding the trust from top to bottom. You need that to get the best out of everyone. Players might not like what you tell them, but if you're honest then they will respect you."

No love lost with the previous gaffer.

_41642252_allanmcmanus203.jpg

scott%20brown_633573497349687500.jpg

meerkat1.jpg

Trained to look closely at things (Forensics and Environmental Health), and there is no likeness there other than they all have short hair.

.......or on the other hand you could be suffering from a sense of humour bypass. Simples!

Good closeup of Scott Brown at the bottom, but how did you manage to find a pic of Aleksandr in a Cellic strip?

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

For some managers it takes a while to get the momentum going (look at Leonardo at Milan)

Some managers get instant results but as long as Grady improves team spirit and results then the team can go far. As long as progress is being made I am happy with Grady/McManus at the helm.

If we win this weekend, the boys will have got their confidence back and that is half the battle. I reckon Grady and McManus will turn out to be a very good management team. They are doing most things right, and I particularly like their comments that we are a passing team. Better to watch. Not be long before we're passing some of the other teams on our way to the other end of the table...

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

If we win this weekend, the boys will have got their confidence back and that is half the battle. I reckon Grady and McManus will turn out to be a very good management team. They are doing most things right, and I particularly like their comments that we are a passing team. Better to watch. Not be long before we're passing some of the other teams on our way to the other end of the table...

Great to hear we're playing a passing game, I've been working in Turkmenistan since before Grady took over so can only go on reports.

What really surprisies me is the midfield we have used in these matches is not known for passing football, I think it was Finlayson, Paartalu, McGuffie, McAlister. Have these guys been getting the ball down and playing or is it mainly coming up the wings from the new full backs?

I'd also be interested in what people feel would be our strongest team once everyone's fit.

Great to hear we're playing a passing game, I've been working in Turkmenistan since before Grady took over so can only go on reports.

What really surprisies me is the midfield we have used in these matches is not known for passing football, I think it was Finlayson, Paartalu, McGuffie, McAlister. Have these guys been getting the ball down and playing or is it mainly coming up the wings from the new full backs?

I'd also be interested in what people feel would be our strongest team once everyone's fit.

Everyone is playing their part in the passing football. We don't have anyone with that killer pass in the team at the moment but then we don't have the strikers with the movement needed for that. We are keeping possession well in the middle, aren't scared to play it back to the defence despite ridiculous fans shouts to "get it up the fcking park", and generally are knocking it about well until something opens up. Most of our game is focused down the wings though I would say, with Finlayson having a terrific time with DvZ supporting.

As for your last point, I'd say Walker would probably be a better option at CB than McGregor, but the rest have their work cut out if they want back in that team tbh. Wake's been tremendous and has to be 1st choice striker just now, and I don't see Weatherson being dropped, so that rules out Graham. Jim's been quite poor but still a better option than Monti. McGuffie and Paartalu are playing well also with both of them supporting in attack and very aware of what each other is doing. People will say I have some sort of grudge here but I'm being completely honest when I say there is no place for Jenkins in this team. Masterton I think, however, would shine in a team playing this type of football and probably can be that one guy with that killer pass. It could be a case of first guy to have a bad game out of McGuffie/Paartalu. All good problems to have though, and hopefully that'll keep them going.

EDIT forgot about other injury - Cuthbert. The difference in Colin Stewart's performance is almost miraculous. Cuthbert's not getting back in easily either!

EDIT2 completely forgot about MacFarlane. That's how effective he's been!

TTG JIM!!!

Agree with most of what the last poster said. I also think we need to remember that, for various reasons, we need reasonable depth to the squad (to cope with injuries, different opponents and tactical changes within matches). With that in mind I'd offer the following as a basic squad from which a starting XI could be drawn:

Keeper: Stewart and Cuthbert (on present form no reason to drop Stewart)

Full Backs: van Zanten, Reid or Walker

Centre Backs: Greacen, MacGregor or Shimmin (if he's available) - with Walker as a good alternative too

Defensive Central Midfielder: MacFarlane or Paartalu

Attacking Central Midfielder: Jenkins plus AN Other - (probably no-one in the current squad, although maybe McGuffie could grow into this?)

Wingers: McAlister, Finlayson, Monti, or McGuffie

Strikers: Weatherson, Wake or Graham (but I'd rather see a really nippy signing to complement the slower hold-up play of Wake and Weatherson - unless Grahm and/or Russell prove capable)

I don't see a role for Masterton in that squad unless he comes back a different player to before his injury, and Paartalu would have to show consistent form to merit continued inclusion. I see Kane is now included in the first team squad - he's obviously worth keeping to develop.

Agree with most of what the last poster said. I also think we need to remember that, for various reasons, we need reasonable depth to the squad (to cope with injuries, different opponents and tactical changes within matches). With that in mind I'd offer the following as a basic squad from which a starting XI could be drawn:

Keeper: Stewart and Cuthbert (on present form no reason to drop Stewart)

Full Backs: van Zanten, Reid or Walker

Centre Backs: Greacen, MacGregor or Shimmin (if he's available) - with Walker as a good alternative too

Defensive Central Midfielder: MacFarlane or Paartalu

Attacking Central Midfielder: Jenkins plus AN Other - (probably no-one in the current squad, although maybe McGuffie could grow into this?)

Wingers: McAlister, Finlayson, Monti, or McGuffie

Strikers: Weatherson, Wake or Graham (but I'd rather see a really nippy signing to complement the slower hold-up play of Wake and Weatherson - unless Grahm and/or Russell prove capable)

I don't see a role for Masterton in that squad unless he comes back a different player to before his injury, and Paartalu would have to show consistent form to merit continued inclusion. I see Kane is now included in the first team squad - he's obviously worth keeping to develop.

The biggest liability above is McGregor as a centre back. Until Shimmin comes back (very doubtful) or we get someone else in the door then McManus should be playing. I would also agree with a previous post with regard to Jenkins not getting back in to the team without a fight as he has been pretty hopeless this year.

Archived