"i'm Sick Of Club Chiefs Rubbishing All Our Refs" - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

"i'm Sick Of Club Chiefs Rubbishing All Our Refs"

SramTon

[My emphasis in bold]

Exclusive by Keeny MacDonald.

Hamilton Accies chairman Ronnie MacDonald has waded into the debate over Scotalnd's referres - by telling his fellow chairmen they're LUCKY to have them.

MacDonald went for his first meeting with his new SPL fellow-chairmen at Dalmahoy last month - and wasted no time in telling them to give refs a break.

And he promised officials they won't see his Accies players badgering them in the coming season.

He said: "We'd had an SPL gathering at Dalmahoy. I enjoyed it, and managed to button my lip for most of it.

I told them they wouldn't see our players running after referees. I said I didn't know where they'd all come from but I know where I've come from. I started in juvenile football and my biggest worry on a matchday wasn't having enough players - it was that the referee wouldn't turn up. So when the ref turned the corner - even if he was the worst referee in the world - I was glad to see him.

But the way it's going, we're putting people off becoming young referees at grass roots level. They need a bit more respect.

This led to a bit of a debate. 'Are they doing their best or are they cheats? No, they're doing their best, they're not cheats but they're not good enough'

My reply was, 'Well, maybe referees think the way you're running your club is wrong'.

If any of our players gets sent off for dissent it will not only cost them a week's wages, they'll also be in to see me to have it emphasised that a referee won't change his mind in a million years - so gie the guy a break!"

Outspoken and refreshing, MacDonald will ruffle SPL feathers [continues for a few more hundred words, but I've lost the will to go on].

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Have to agree. The Old Firm paranoia about referees which is spreading to other clubs is tiresome, to say the least.

Erm, I was thinking more of a certain incident last season which MacDonald, in his sanctimony, seems to "forget":

Players chasing referees? According to MacDonald you don't see that sort of thing at New Douglas Park - he's from the Juniors don't you know.

Referees changing their mind after being badgered by players? Apparently never happens in a million years.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

[My emphasis in bold]

Hamilton Accies chairman Ronnie MacDonald has waded into the debate over Scotalnd's referres - by telling his fellow chairmen they're LUCKY to have them.

MacDonald went for his first meeting with his new SPL fellow-chairmen at Dalmahoy last month - and wasted no time in telling them to give refs a break.

And he promised officials they won't see his Accies players badgering them in the coming season.

He said: "We'd had an SPL gathering at Dalmahoy. I enjoyed it, and managed to button my lip for most of it.

I told them they wouldn't see our players running after referees. I said I didn't know where they'd all come from but I know where I've come from. I started in juvenile football and my biggest worry on a matchday wasn't having enough players - it was that the referee wouldn't turn up. So when the ref turned the corner - even if he was the worst referee in the world - I was glad to see him.

But the way it's going, we're putting people off becoming young referees at grass roots level. They need a bit more respect.

This led to a bit of a debate. 'Are they doing their best or are they cheats? No, they're doing their best, they're not cheats but they're not good enough'

My reply was, 'Well, maybe referees think the way you're running your club is wrong'.

If any of our players gets sent off for dissent it will not only cost them a week's wages, they'll also be in to see me to have it emphasised that a referee won't change his mind in a million years - so gie the guy a break!"

Outspoken and refreshing, MacDonald will ruffle SPL feathers [continues for a few more hundred words, but I've lost the will to go on].

Refs get a bad press and the crap they take is unbelievable. Like every other walk of life you get good ones and bad ones - personally I don't think we have corrupt refs only inept ones

The pressure put on the top refs is unbearable and I wouldn't do it for any amount of cash having said that I think it attracts a certain type of person (tosser :lol: ) most of whom either want the cash or thrive on the "status."

Erm, I was thinking more of a certain incident last season which MacDonald, in his sanctimony, seems to "forget":

Players chasing referees? According to MacDonald you don't see that sort of thing at New Douglas Park - he's from the Juniors don't you know.

Referees changing their mind after being badgered by players? Apparently never happens in a million years.

Good point well made. I wasn't at that game so i didn't notice the hypocrisy.

:)

*insert signature here*

I think it attracts a certain type of person (tosser :lol: ) most of whom either want the cash or thrive on the "status."

Cheers mate !!!!

Can I just confirm I don't do it for either the money or the status. And that the higher the level the less enojyable it is to referee. I can have great fun refereeing a Division 4 match in Kildare - my worst experience (although I did have a good game) was refereeing two Eircom League sides (Galway United and Kildare County).

If I didn't enjoy it I'd stop it immediately. The players, management and supporters also need a good look at how they treat referees. Half of them don't even know basic rules - the Galway United skipper roared at me for an offside from a goal kick for fuxake ! The crap spouted about van Nistelrooys goal in the Euros was another example of players, panellists, experts and managers knowing NOTHING about the rules of the game.

Indeed, I'm beginning to think that playing the game or spouting shite from a terracing on a Saturday when you know shag all about the game attracts a certain type of person (tosser :lol:).

There, that feels better.

TosserInDublin

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Cheers mate !!!!

Can I just confirm I don't do it for either the money or the status. And that the higher the level the less enojyable it is to referee. I can have great fun refereeing a Division 4 match in Kildare - my worst experience (although I did have a good game) was refereeing two Eircom League sides (Galway United and Kildare County).

If I didn't enjoy it I'd stop it immediately. The players, management and supporters also need a good look at how they treat referees. Half of them don't even know basic rules - the Galway United skipper roared at me for an offside from a goal kick for fuxake ! The crap spouted about van Nistelrooys goal in the Euros was another example of players, panellists, experts and managers knowing NOTHING about the rules of the game.

Indeed, I'm beginning to think that playing the game or spouting s***e from a terracing on a Saturday when you know shag all about the game attracts a certain type of person (tosser :lol:).

There, that feels better.

TosserInDublin

Took longer than I expected but you can rest easy in the fact I am not a Scouser :lol:

Bit like the old racist argument but believe it or not some of my best mates are refs :rolleyes:

Took longer than I expected but you can rest easy in the fact I am not a Scouser :lol:

Bit like the old racist argument but believe it or not some of my best mates are refs :rolleyes:

I do mate, I do !!!!!

And if I'd seen your post earlier I'd have predictably replied earlier. :D

In fairness, I do agree with you on your analysis - there are good refs and bad ones - in my experience referees who played the game are better than those who haven't.

TonInDublin

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

I was at Palmerston yesterday and the ref and linesmen (I refuse to use the PC term assistant referee) were dressed in outfits of such a bright yellow hue that I got sunburn from them. I thought they were supposed to be doing a good job if you didn't notice them. No chance of that with those outfits - or are they tacitly admitting that they aren't very good?

That stuff from the Hamilton chairman smacks of severe hypocrisy - although what he says is actually worthwhile. I assume we will get that extra point and goal added to our total for last season now that Hamilton are admitting they were wrong to bully the ref.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I was at Palmerston yesterday and the ref and linesmen (I refuse to use the PC term assistant referee) were dressed in outfits of such a bright yellow hue that I got sunburn from them. I thought they were supposed to be doing a good job if you didn't notice them. No chance of that with those outfits - or are they tacitly admitting that they aren't very good?

:huh: :blink:

I couldn't give a f*** if they wore monkey suits as long as they run the line properly.

That stuff from the Hamilton chairman smacks of severe hypocrisy - although what he says is actually worthwhile. I assume we will get that extra point and goal added to our total for last season now that Hamilton are admitting they were wrong to bully the ref.

I wouldn't burn any bridges if i were you, theres still two stands left to build at New Douglas Park.

:lol: :lol:

*insert signature here*

There was a similar article in the Herald which almost caused me to inhale my mouthful of cereal at the thought that Hamilton players never badger officials.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Chairman suffers from selective amnesia should be the headline .

There will be no point his players chasing refs this season as their going to get pumped anyway .

The cosy wee arrangement whereby the Accies secretary Scott Struthers is also on the SFA Disciplinary Committee, might make Ronnie MacDonald more on the refs side. Then again as far as I can remember Hamilton & Arsenal are the only clubs I've ever seen get a ref to change his decision.

I'd love to have you both for dinner

Chairman suffers from selective amnesia should be the headline .

There will be no point his players chasing refs this season as their going to get pumped anyway .

If he wants reminding, I believe he has a fabled video of the incident. <_>

Is it just me or is this not the same guy who's players "badgering" a referee cost us a draw that could've ultimately seen us relegated to the Second Division?

The cosy wee arrangement whereby the Accies secretary Scott Struthers is also on the SFA Disciplinary Committee, might make Ronnie MacDonald more on the refs side. Then again as far as I can remember Hamilton & Arsenal are the only clubs I've ever seen get a ref to change his decision.

Fulham managed it as well

Morton F.C.
Renfrewshire Football League Champions since 1895

[My emphasis in bold]

Nope a boring self indulgent sycophantic arsehole with a Secretary doubling as an SFA committee member! :ph34r:

SPOT ON.

I have written to the SFA twice since I was told the Thomson decision was 'being investigated', with no response forthcoming.

IMHO Scott Struthers is a pouffe weasel, but let's not fret-the plastic playpen will be relegated! :lol:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

I think club Chairmen need to fukup a bit more.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Hmm, I thought emphasising words in bold from the original newspaper quote would have made my intentions clear, but I think one or two have misinterpreted me. For the record, I agree entirely with the following:

There was a similar article in the Herald which almost caused me to inhale my mouthful of cereal at the thought that Hamilton players never badger officials.

Is it just me or is this not the same guy who's players "badgering" a referee cost us a draw that could've ultimately seen us relegated to the Second Division?

Doubt anyone cares, but I'll be losing sleep at the thought that anyone thinks I was actually backing MacDonald on this!! -_-

Archived