Transfer - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Transfer

kenbroon

Spot on. Phil Cannie was made up when he got the chance to play for Morton and gave his all whenever he was called upon.

To see some of the totally unwarranted stick he attracts on here you would think he was the worst player ever to feature for us, when that is very far indeed from the case. It also overlooks the contribution he made for us at times.

In my opinion, some of the criticism the guy comes in for is well over the top.

Agree - I liked the guy.

Some of the "tossers" who stood near me clearly didn't - prompting calls of "get Cannie on" just to annoy them.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nugget / Schoolgirl :blink:

1. Skillful and most gifted? He's definitely up there. Unfortunately, he's tempermental, petulant and can be a disruptive influence on the (young) team. When he's giving 100%, it's generally not being focused entirely on football matters. I would draw your attention to the Partick game at Firhill earlier in the year. Oh, and if he's not skinning defenders for fun, he'll be found hiding out at the touchline, with hands firmly on hips. Its not his fault he's stuck out on the touchline. He doesnt get used enough.

Too often this season he (and for balance, he's definitely not on his own) has failed to do it for us, and where Lilley will rightly get criticism for not hitting the back of the net, at the very least he looks as though he's trying. True Lilly always gives 100% and DOES have the ability- cannie never had it. While he can undoubtedly turn a game, Andy should be criticised for not bothering his arse half the time he plays. I disagree, I dont see Mclaren not bothering.

2. Andy Ritchie was a little before my time. Fair enough McLaren is a very good player.....when it suits him. Id say when the team use him

3. I was not suggesting that Phil Cannie was the best thing since Andy Ritchie and, frankly, I don't particularly care what he thinks about Cannie or McLaren. That was not the point I was making. I used your refernce to Andy to my sneaky advantage - sorry :P

I was merely trying to contrast someone with, arguably, limited ability but who gave his all for the team club etc, with someone with undoubted skill who doesn't always appear to be interested in doing likewise for the team / club. The point being that I'd sometimes rather watch a Cannie than a McLaren. We can agree to differ then, Id always rather watch a gifted player do nothing for 85 mins and produce magic for 5 mins than a hard working player do nothing for 90.

4. As many others have since agreed on here, the abuse directed towards Phil Cannie was largely unwarranted. I dont boo or shout abuse at players, never have never will. As Im sure you dont either.

"More and more people, no matter their political persuasion, are now seeing this for what it is; not a YES vote for SNP led nationalism but simply a YES vote for self-determination and the best way forward for a nation, increasingly ignored and disadvantaged by a London biased Government "

http://nationalcollective.com/

Hmmm, some selective editing (or the lack of in the following statement), from which I can only assume that you accept the point. ;)

Unfortunately, he's tempermental, petulant and can be a disruptive influence on the (young) team. When he's giving 100%, it's generally not being focused entirely on football matters.

Perhaps we'll agree to differ, methinks.

Cheers!

Unfortunately, he's tempermental, petulant and can be a disruptive influence on the (young) team. [

Cheers!

even though he is tempermental, he talks the youngs players through game tells them where to pass it, gives them encourgement or a kick up the backside when needed.

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

1. Oh, and if he's not skinning defenders for fun, he'll be found hiding out at the touchline, with hands firmly on hips.

it looks lately like hes been told to stay on the wing...

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

even though he is tempermental, he talks the youngs players through game tells them where to pass it, gives them encourgement or a kick up the backside when needed.

I totally disagree, I think he is harmful to some of his team-mate's games. In my opinion he makes it look like he has no time for guys like Templeman or Finlayson because they aren't up to his ability and shows blatant visible frustration at their play at times. Often, in my opinion, to play up to the crowd and show us that he is pissed off with them as well.

I made a statement earlier in the season about how Lilley was finished and it came back to bite me. At the risk of the same happening again I'd say McLaren is finished. I don't doubt his ability, I doubt his desire. In my opinion a guy like McLaren needs excitement to get the best out of him. Division 2 doesn't give him that; in my opinion he is just bored now. I think we might get a couple of decent performances out of him in the play offs but after that I think his career will spiral downwards or he'll chuck it when he leaves us.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, especially because he's a fans favourite. Hopefully I'm wrong or that if we get promotion the First Division provides a bit of a spark for him.

agree that Phil was very harshly treated by many during and after his time with us. I remember thinking at some time that he looked promising but def didn't fulfill his potential.

He did play in a pretty poor Morton team and far too much was left on his shoulders at the time with no other strikers and considering he was still short of experience and learning his trade he couldn't really be used sparingly like young players should. I think this effectively ended his chances of a making a career of it.

Nacho get this boy banned before we have another puggsy on our hands

concur, although worse than puggsy as he tends to stick to that wraslin thread and not every single thread up.

concur, although worse than puggsy as he tends to stick to that wraslin thread and not every single thread up.

umm what?

Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand.

------------------------------------------------------

Myleftnipple786.png

I totally disagree, I think he is harmful to some of his team-mate's games. In my opinion he makes it look like he has no time for guys like Templeman or Finlayson because they aren't up to his ability and shows blatant visible frustration at their play at times. Often, in my opinion, to play up to the crowd and show us that he is pissed off with them as well.

You are right there. We constantly talk about confidence and Andy hardly encouraged Temps when he was here and regularly tells Finlayson to play the ball to a certain area which if Finlayson does not do, makes Kev look the poorer player.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Don't know if it's me, but I seem to remember when Bobby Thomson was here, he was the type of player who would barrack players if he thought they needed it, but at the same time was always one for encouraging others at the same time, it was a young Morton side he was part of also, he was petulant at times, always giving his views to referees, and was always being picked on by referees.... and he was a player that wore his heart on his sleeve, does that remind you of anyone at the club here? And if he was at the club now, would he get the same kind of abuse as some players are getting just now?

Just a thought...... :)

IPB Image

BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT!

McAlister's progress has been good this season, but as has been pointed out still lacks a consistent final ball. Last season he was a very fit player (tests showed the fittest at the club) and when we played with wing-backs his pace and stamina would see him breeze through the 90 minutes, tackling and running, but he was more of an athlete last season than a good footballer. This season he has added finishing and dribbling skills (which improve by the week), but as I say his final ball hasn't been consistent enough, partly because he is a right footed player on the left wing, which makes getting to the by-line difficult. He is a great worker and has the potential to become a top SFL player and with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work an SPL player.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Archived