EURO 2024 Thread - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

EURO 2024 Thread

Yeah, the very strong Belgian beers are most definitely for sipping, at most I'll have two bottles in an evening. Surprised you find them sweet though. There are some sweet beers of course, Leffe is probably the most famous, but I find most of them to be quite balanced or tending towards slightly bitter. Everyone's palate is different of course.

The real art in brewing strong beer is preventing the alcohol from overpowering the flavours. The strongest beer that I've still found drinkable is Kerel Kaishaku at 15% abv. The claim they achieve the strength while retaining the taste by using a mixture of traditional Belgian beer yeast and Japanese saki yeast (hence the Japanese sounding name that's just made up). Definitely not a beer for the traditionalists (the tag line of the brewery is 'untouched by monks', ha!) but I really like it. No idea if it's exported to the US, but if you do come across it I suggest you give it a try, it's pretty unique. I'd be curious to hear what you think of it. 

https://vbdck.be/

Last time I was in Belgium was in 2008 and the two most popular beers in the local pubs seemed to be Jupiler and Maes.  I wasn't all that keen on Jupiler but Maes was nice.

*insert signature here*

54 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Last time I was in Belgium was in 2008 and the two most popular beers in the local pubs seemed to be Jupiler and Maes.  I wasn't all that keen on Jupiler but Maes was nice.

Yeah, Stella Artois, Jupiler and Maes are the three most popular cheap-and-cheerful 'everyday' beers. The relative popularity of them is very regional, here it's very much Stella Artois followed by Jupiler. You'll actually find it quite hard to get Maes on draught here.

Jupiler I can take or leave, it's not unpleasant, but I just find it quite bland. Since you were in Belgium they changed the Maes recipe and made it slightly stronger, like Stella Artois and Jupiler it's now 5.2% abv. It also has a slightly more malty taste. Like you I prefer Maes to Jupiler, but of the three of them, my favourite is Stella Artois. 

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

On 3/31/2024 at 8:05 PM, capitanus said:

:lol: :lol:

After the England Shirt going woke debacle, it's nice to see Ze Jormans going the totally opposite direction and being nostalgic for their past:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1883259/germany-football-kit-blunder-nazi

and theres more:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68708981

:lol: :lol: 

*insert signature here*