Summer Football - Page 4 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Summer Football

While adding a winter break is a lot more credible than the nonsense that is summer football - I applaud Nacho's work in dismantling every argument presented in favour of it here - I'm still not convinced a winter break is a particularly good idea. Our climate's too erratic, frankly.

What if you have a break for three weeks in January, that January turns out to be a relatively mild one where games could have gone ahead on each weekend during the break, then you get to February and you have a spell of absolutely dreadful weather with widespread postponements? We then find ourselves even further behind in fixtures than we would have been had we just continued through January, with part-time sides having to play midweek regularly. The same applies if you have a dreadful December where very few games go ahead when you've scheduled a break in January and the weather clears up: you allow all these fixtures to pile up and ignore the chance to get them replayed, leading to a rush in the final weeks of the season.

Pitches and facilities are improving all the time: the number of postponements are falling and we don't need to stop in December or January.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While adding a winter break is a lot more credible than the nonsense that is summer football - I applaud Nacho's work in dismantling every argument presented in favour of it here - I'm still not convinced a winter break is a particularly good idea. Our climate's too erratic, frankly.

What if you have a break for three weeks in January, that January turns out to be a relatively mild one where games could have gone ahead on each weekend during the break, then you get to February and you have a spell of absolutely dreadful weather with widespread postponements? We then find ourselves even further behind in fixtures than we would have been had we just continued through January, with part-time sides having to play midweek regularly. The same applies if you have a dreadful December where very few games go ahead when you've scheduled a break in January and the weather clears up: you allow all these fixtures to pile up and ignore the chance to get them replayed, leading to a rush in the final weeks of the season.

Pitches and facilities are improving all the time: the number of postponements are falling and we don't need to stop in December or January.

Have to agree with this. Fixture congestion could easily get out of hand.

The fixture congestion thing wouldn't be a problem whatsoever.

Say you schedule 23 league games between August and the end of January (with no break) then have an awful February. You would have to for the postponed Feb games in from march till the end of the season.

If started earlier and had a winter break then you'd play 23 games between July and December and still be in the same position come February.

Postponed December games don't tend to be scheduled for January anyway, so in the event of a bad December and February you're likely to still be in the same position.

I'm neither here nor there on a winter break. If we had one I'd rather it be early December. But I don't see it changing anything with regards to fixture congestion at the end of the season.

In other news, The Ashes start next week.

Are you a betting man Davie. 

Got a tip the other day, England each way. A bit of a banker so I'm told.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I see the Raith-Brechin friendly was postponed due to heavy rain.

Summer football is a joke.

The only difference in Scotland between summer and winter is the rain is warmer in the summer.  :)

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

If they'd started the season a few weeks earlier they'd maybe have had a chance.

:lol: What was your excuse last time when St. Johnstone beat Rosenborg? Surely with their season starting in March teams from Norway should be hot favorites to win the Champions League.

EOho8Pw.png

:lol: What was your excuse last time when St. Johnstone beat Rosenborg? Surely with their season starting in March teams from Norway should be hot favorites to win the Champions League.

It was short lived after they got knocked out by Minsk.

Then forgotten about the year later when they got papped out by Trnava.

Come to think of it, Motherwell getting put out by Strajan didn't do the coefficient any favours either.

Aberdeen can be excused for giving a good showing against a far stronger team last season, but 2 draws against Macedonian giants Shkendija havnt helped much either.

I'm sure if McInnes and Wright are asked the question the will both agree they were ill prepared for these qualifying stages.

When people just sit still and wait for things to improve or come to them, they deserve what they get.

Scottish football just had a major restructuring of prize money and promotion/relegation a few short years ago. It simply isn't true that Scottish football sits and waits for things to improve.

I think Wright would say more about injuries than anything else.

EOho8Pw.png

Where are Armenia and Macedonia in their season? Ah, that's right, pre-season the same as here. Is the argument here that the football in Scotland is so crap we need the extra advantage of being further into our season?

Do you know what is a real problem for the Scottish game? Over 100 Scottish players play their football in England. St Johnstone fans are desperate for Danny Swanson to come back to them from a struggling League One team, but they will have trouble finding the wages to compete with a skint club in England's 3rd tier. 

That's not a problem its a symptom.

And that's just semantics.

Whether or not the season starts a few weeks earlier is neither here nor there when it comes to how well Scottish teams are going to compete in European competition. If that's high on the list of issues then people are deluding themselves.

Archived