Eateries In Inverclyde - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Eateries In Inverclyde

Youngsa

OK folks

My brother and myself will both be in The Port on Tuesday and Wednesday and are looking for some pointers on the best places to get something to eat in the Inverclyde area. I remember the Inverkip Hotel used to be good as was The Spinnaker but its been a while since I've been on a night out back home.

Any suggestions most welcome and most food groups considered :D

Cheers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK folks

My brother and myself will both be in The Port on Tuesday and Wednesday and are looking for some pointers on the best places to get something to eat in the Inverclyde area. I remember the Inverkip Hotel used to be good as was The Spinnaker but its been a while since I've been on a night out back home.

Any suggestions most welcome and most food groups considered :D

Cheers

The Firth in Gourock is nice so is the Spinny, the Point is great value and the food is good, Tribeca (the old Jolly Sailor) is all local produce they also serve Bullet Bourbon which is a bonus. No one tells you in any of these places "we need the table back in an hour and a half".

live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "oh S H I T E, she's awake".

Morgans is decent and you get good portions. They do usually tell you that they need the table back in X amount of time right enough. If its an Indian youre after, Priyas Palace is magic.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Youngsa, if you are considering going all the way from the Port to Inverkip then can I recommend you go in the oppposite direction and go to the River Inn in Houston. The wife and I can't recommend this place highly enough. It's a fantastic dining experiance.

The Inverkip Hotel has long been the place of choice anytime we have a special family occasion. I dont really like it though, nice setting but its a poncey menu.

If you like steak the wife recommends the Jimmy Watt; she has had sirloin in here on countless occasions and each time it's been 10/10. She has also tried steak in The Firth, The Spinnaker, Morgans and various others but always says the steak in the Jimmy Watt is the best.

We were in the Firth one sunday evening recently and to be honest the whole experiance was verrry average, nothing special and we wouldnt go back there.

The Spinnaker is quite nice, decent food and the guy Stewart the owner is a really decent down to earth Morton supporter and everyone knows him; we go there now and then, once in a blue moon. Really good view at sunset; as does the Firth obviously.

Morgans wasnt my cup of tea either but some folks swear by it so who am I to say they are wrong; they seem to take ages to bring the food to you. I've been in there twice and not enjoyed the food but maybe I just made the wrong choices.

As I say, my recommentation for a quality meal and experiance would be the River Inn at Houston, if its something straightforward you want over a few pints then I'd go for the Jimmy Watt; The Jimmy Watt has a no messing menu, I like that, you know what your getting instead of a poncey menu like the Inverkip Hotel has.

can I recommend you go in the oppposite direction and go to the River Inn in Houston.

Have you tried this place nearby? Cail Bruich located at Faith Avenue, Quarriers Village which is just inside the Inverclyde border. It won the 'Scotland's Rural Restaurant of the year 2010' award.

http://www.5pm.co.uk/restaurant/glasgow/paisley/cail_bruich/

http://www.cailbruich.co.uk/restaurants/quarriers/

A good restaurant in Inverclyde? There isn't one I'm sad to say.

What about the one at Quarriers Village I linked above - it's in Inverclyde but only just.

Awarded the Scottish Rural Restaurant of the year award 2010 so can't be that bad.

Edit: There are discounts to be had if you book via the 5pm link I posted under 'check availability'

As mentioned already, the Spinny is pretty good with amazing views across the river. The Point is good, a nice place for a drink and a conversation, and the food's pretty decent too.

Cafe Balfe on West Blackhall Street is good too, their steak open sandwich is amazing.

Best of all tho is Fusion, above the Vic. It's run by the folk who used to run Lindores Manor and the food is excellent.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

I've missed The Point, where is it?

It's behind the MacDonald's at the roundabout across from where Kincaid's engine works used to be. Nice, well-appointed big place, obviously hoping to catch clients from the new flats and houses beside it and on either side of East Hamilton Street. Worth a look.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

It's behind the MacDonald's at the roundabout across from where Kincaid's engine works used to be. Nice, well-appointed big place, obviously hoping to catch clients from the new flats and houses beside it and on either side of East Hamilton Street. Worth a look.

Cheers Macca

HHkTu1F.jpg

As mentioned already, the Spinny is pretty good with amazing views across the river. The Point is good, a nice place for a drink and a conversation, and the food's pretty decent too.

Cafe Balfe on West Blackhall Street is good too, their steak open sandwich is amazing.

Best of all tho is Fusion, above the Vic. It's run by the folk who used to run Lindores Manor and the food is excellent.

Any time I have been in cafe balfe I have waited an hour plus for meal to arrive & that is without a starter.

Service could not be any slower.

user posted image

Is that not a freezer to fryer Brewer's Fayre type of place?

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

Archived