Morton V Raith Rovers - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton V Raith Rovers

Bollocks.

Grady can't do the basics like organising a team to defend a set piece.

All the players were being marked before the ball was delivered, a bit of pace and movement bamboozled our defence though....

It was a lack of pace, positioning and decision making by individuals that caused the goal IMO, not anything to do with Grady's organising. He can tell defenders to mark up and stay tight until he is blue in the face if he wants, if the players are technically incapable though then he cannot do anything about it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the players were being marked before the ball was delivered, a bit of pace and movement bamboozled our defence though....

It was a lack of pace, positioning and decision making by individuals that caused the goal IMO, not anything to do with Grady's organising. He can tell defenders to mark up and stay tight until he is blue in the face if he wants, if the players are technically incapable though then he cannot do anything about it.

Agreed. It was a simple headed ball that was played back over our 6 yard line and it caused chaos. The Raith player was completely unmarked when he put the ball into the net. A very cheap goal indeed.

Players really have to accept responsibility when they cross the white line. Grady put out the same team as the one that beat Partick. You can see the difference in performance from Saturday and last night. That's down to the players not the coaches.

We simply have a squad of players who are not up to the job on a consistant level. Do they think they are better than they are ? It looked as if they thought after getting a couple of good results they simply just had to turn up last night. No fight, no creativity, no passion and devoid of ideas.

I really can't wait until the end of season no matter what division we find ourselves in. At least then the bulk of these under-performers will have gone!

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

That seems to be the basic approach that Grady is taking. You can't just pick up the back post as it leaves it open for the deep ball in and someone peeling off like last night or a quick run in to the front post. It also means that the only option is to block players and possibly give away penalties.

When we are poor at man marking at set peices we should be practising defending the six yard box at training with every player having what to do at any possible scenario drilled into them.

You can't say its not Gardy's fault then say its positioning - he is responsible for that and there wasn't any shape or organisation at any corner so its clear they dont practise this. Telling them what to do isn't enough - they need to do this over and over at training until we are good enough at it. Morton are a full time time and have five days a week to prepare for a game. This should be plently of time to be organised.

As I mentioned in another thread our passing and control is getting worse as well so it makes you wonder what is actually done at training. We're not a particularly fit team so its a bit of a worry.

Agreed. It was a simple headed ball that was played back over our 6 yard line and it caused chaos. The Raith player was completely unmarked when he put the ball into the net. A very cheap goal indeed.

Players really have to accept responsibility when they cross the white line. Grady put out the same team as the one that beat Partick. You can see the difference in performance from Saturday and last night. That's down to the players not the coaches.

We simply have a squad of players who are not up to the job on a consistant level. Do they think they are better than they are ? It looked as if they thought after getting a couple of good results they simply just had to turn up last night. No fight, no creativity, no passion and devoid of ideas.

I really can't wait until the end of season no matter what division we find ourselves in. At least then the bulk of these under-performers will have gone!

Stewart would simply have come off his line and grabbed the header before it got near the Raith player. It wasn't that difficult! Another Cheap goal.

That seems to be the basic approach that Grady is taking. You can't just pick up the back post as it leaves it open for the deep ball in and someone peeling off like last night or a quick run in to the front post. It also means that the only option is to block players and possibly give away penalties.

When we are poor at man marking at set peices we should be practising defending the six yard box at training with every player having what to do at any possible scenario drilled into them.

You can't say its not Gardy's fault then say its positioning - he is responsible for that and there wasn't any shape or organisation at any corner so its clear they dont practise this. Telling them what to do isn't enough - they need to do this over and over at training until we are good enough at it. Morton are a full time time and have five days a week to prepare for a game. This should be plently of time to be organised.

As I mentioned in another thread our passing and control is getting worse as well so it makes you wonder what is actually done at training. We're not a particularly fit team so its a bit of a worry.

Exactly.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I see what you are saying, but these aren't young players in the Morton team who don't know what they are doing. On the whole we are a fairly experienced team who SHOULD have the skills to man mark and defend set pieces. The lack of a keeper with presence has hampered us too recently I think, perhaps time to get Stewart back in goal.

None of us really know what goes on at training, but I would agree that our passing, movement and control is going backwards which is worrying. We have one of the best pitches in the country and we should be utilising that by playing a quick pass and move game. Raith looked so much hungrier for the ball last night and they made nice triangles and always had options for passing. Whereas we were laboured in getting forward. Too often players make a pass but then don't move into space to give another option. Our lack of pace and movement is frightening and it is due to this that we struggle to create chances.

Having had 24 hours to think about it, I think that the players were simply too tired - too many games in a week, and they looked really jaded. I don't think we should have gone with exactly the same team as Saturday, even if they did put a good shift in at the weekend.

Whatever folk may think of them, we could have started Reid, Finlayson, Paartalu, MacFarlane and even Graham to give a few legs a rest.

Expect a few changes for Saturday surely?

Having had 24 hours to think about it, I think that the players were simply too tired - too many games in a week, and they looked really jaded. I don't think we should have gone with exactly the same team as Saturday, even if they did put a good shift in at the weekend.

Whatever folk may think of them, we could have started Reid, Finlayson, Paartalu, MacFarlane and even Graham to give a few legs a rest.

Interesting point, a lot went into the Inverness game, plus the Airdrie and Partick matches were a struggle right to the end as well. With hindsight it might have made sense to freshen it up a bit. Then again, two wins on the bounce and making changes could just as easily have been called into question.

At the back I'd certainly have been inclined to leave well alone, I think that decision was correct. But by half time I certainly thought Finners should have gone on at that point. Going across the midfield that started from the right (until you get to Jim on the left), there's no speed there. It was too one paced and lopsided and Finlayson made a difference when he did eventually get on, even just putting defenders on the ball under pressure.

For Saturday I think Paartalu has to have a shout of starting. In terms of MacFarlane, I think the lack of legs we already have in the middle of the park is the biggest obstacle to him getting back in, because it would excacerbate that problem (although it would maybe help in other respects, with his reading of the game, defensive presence and voice on the park).

Out wide I would hope that Finlayson would start the game too. The last time he played against Airdrie he gave them a torrid time through there and delivered the goods. I'd also like to see Brian Graham afforded a bit more of an opportunity at some point - they've been few and far between for him but he's direct and I think he has something to offer.

I thought about that as well but Raith have a heavier fixture pile-up than us to contend with and a lot of other clubs are in the same boat.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I see what you are saying, but these aren't young players in the Morton team who don't know what they are doing. On the whole we are a fairly experienced team who SHOULD have the skills to man mark and defend set pieces. The lack of a keeper with presence has hampered us too recently I think, perhaps time to get Stewart back in goal.

None of us really know what goes on at training, but I would agree that our passing, movement and control is going backwards which is worrying. We have one of the best pitches in the country and we should be utilising that by playing a quick pass and move game. Raith looked so much hungrier for the ball last night and they made nice triangles and always had options for passing. Whereas we were laboured in getting forward. Too often players make a pass but then don't move into space to give another option. Our lack of pace and movement is frightening and it is due to this that we struggle to create chances.

It doesn't matter how experienced players are - there are different ways of defending corners and all of the might be used to dealing with them in different ways so it needs to be done at training to get at least some form of organisation.

The second point I agree with and its also really frustrating that we never break quickly up the park on the counter attack.

As a full time team they should be fit enough to cope. If this means light training or resting players then so be it but they should be able to cope with so many games. Teams at much lower levels can so proffesional athletes should be able to and the manager should do everything he can to make sure they are. The same goes for teams still in cups and Europe so why can't we?

I posted a while back about an interview with Grady saying they only done about 90 minutes of training a day and I think we are paying the price for that now. The fitness, control, organisation, passing, paces, etc are all really poor so more needs to be done with the players. They are paid good money so should be made to have double training sessions if this is what it takes to get them fit and organised.

We have had 7 points from 9 recently which is a good thing but I think thats mainly due to other teams being poor and we still have a lot to do to improve and Grady needs to realise that this includes him.

I thought about that as well but Raith have a heavier fixture pile-up than us to contend with and a lot of other clubs are in the same boat.

That's true except that Raith had a lot of injuries and therefore had a lot of fringe players out last night who have not been featuring regularly. Their freshness and trying to impress the manager for a semi final place maybe more than made up for any other failing they might have.

I think its a reasonable point. If you are to have a run in of 2, maybe even 3 games a week, we need to use the squad and rotate players.

I wasn't at Tuesday's match, though from what I can gather from the Inverness and Partick games and the above posts we seem to have the following flaws, with my suggested solutions in brackets:

1/ We've moved the lack of balance from the left side to the right, McGuffie has replaced Jimbo as the guy having to cover for other less willing/able performers.

(Move McGuffie forward to right mid and play McGregor at right back with Greacen back in central defence, or replace Masterton with Finlayson).

2/ We have too many players struggling for fitness.

(Rotate the team a bit more for the two games a week schedule).

3/ We have a shortage of pace, especially in midfield.

(Offset this flaw by having one or two holding players allowing the attacking midfielders to play further forward).

4/ We have a shortage of good link-up play from back to front.

(Same as 3).

5/ After 3 managers over several seasons we still don't have a settled, balanced side.

(Major clear-out in Summer).

We seem to be trying to get the personnel to fit Grady's ideal system, instead of playing a system to suit the personnel. This suggested formation may be able to alleviate the above flaws until we get the right (replacement) players in:

-------------------------------------------Stewart------------------------------------------

McGregor---------------Shimmin-----------------------Greacen----------------McKinley

--------------------------Paartalu------------------------Tidser----------------------------

McGuffie---------------------------------Jenkins---------------------------------McAlister

------------------------------------------Simmonds---------------------------------------

I wasn't at Tuesday's match, though from what I can gather from the Inverness and Partick games and the above posts we seem to have the following flaws, with my suggested solutions in brackets:

1/ We've moved the lack of balance from the left side to the right, McGuffie has replaced Jimbo as the guy having to cover for other less willing/able performers.

(Move McGuffie forward to right mid and play McGregor at right back with Greacen back in central defence, or replace Masterton with Finlayson).

2/ We have too many players struggling for fitness.

(Rotate the team a bit more for the two games a week schedule).

3/ We have a shortage of pace, especially in midfield.

(Offset this flaw by having one or two holding players allowing the attacking midfielders to play further forward).

4/ We have a shortage of good link-up play from back to front.

(Same as 3).

5/ After 3 managers over several seasons we still don't have a settled, balanced side.

(Major clear-out in Summer).

We seem to be trying to get the personnel to fit Grady's ideal system, instead of playing a system to suit the personnel. This suggested formation may be able to alleviate the above flaws until we get the right (replacement) players in:

-------------------------------------------Stewart------------------------------------------

McGregor---------------Shimmin-----------------------Greacen----------------McKinley

--------------------------Paartalu------------------------Tidser----------------------------

McGuffie---------------------------------Jenkins---------------------------------McAlister

------------------------------------------Simmonds---------------------------------------

Some of that I'd agree with - I think McGuffie has had to put in some really hard shifts with Masterton "playing" in front of him - and by Tuesday I thought he looked exhausted, and made a few mistakes which he wouldn't normally have done. On the other hand, I think McGregor has looked more comfortable at centre back than he ever did at full back, and I'd say the Shimmin/McGregor partnership is more secure than the Shimmin/Grecen one.

So whilst I think McGuffie would probably be better at right wing than Finlayson, I reckon Finlayson should come in and McGuffie stay at right back (unless Reid comes in at right back? - views of anyone who's see him play at that position welcome, because I haven't seen him).

Jenkins looks far too slow (injured? unfit?), but dropping him leads you towards a Paartalu/Tidser central midfield, which doesn't seem quite right.

Dilemmas all round I'd say - I wonder if Grady would have been better looking to loan in a pacy midfielder rather than a striker, then if Weatherson was out we could still go 451 with a chance of a midfielder to back up Simmonds?

Have to agree that the players looked tired.

They've gone weeks without a game and then all of a sudden they're playing 2 games a week.

That's going to take a lot out of them and with a small player pool we could struggle at times.

The same tiredness will probably catch up with Ayr and Raith.

We just have to hang in their, and get as many points as we can, to be honest the performance doesn't count at this stage of the season its the points.

Archived