T In The Park - Page 6 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

T In The Park

jmton

The reality is that neither Primal Scream nor Ian Brown were deemed able to hold a main stage. There's only so long you can dwell on former glories.

I never said they were I just said there is no way Vampire Weekend are even close to being as big as either of them or have the same appeal.

The Strokes are already headlining Rock Ness. The White Stripes aren't big enough for headlining, a lot of the others are simply unrealistic. U2, for example. If you're looking at acts capable of headlining a festival then T already has Muse and Eminem. Kasabian probably need to prove that they can hold it but that's no different than Kings of Leon, who were rubbish headlining the Friday last year.

The White Stripes are definetly big enough to headline a festival for starters and how are the others unrealistic? I'm sure the organisers of T in the Park could have approched the Strokes at the planning stage as well and made an offer to them that bettered that of Rock Ness.

You asked who else could headline and I gave you a small list (of many more) of people that would dramatically improve the quality of the festival on their own while getting back to the music orientated feel the fesival used to have.

Anyway like I said before Eminem is a novelty act that wore off quickly. no one cared when he 'retired' and no one cared when he made a comeback. His appeal doesnt stretch further than neds, people who get their music taste from what is popular on Radio 1 and teenage boys who laugh at him swearing.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure the organisers of T in the Park could have approched the Strokes at the planning stage as well and made an offer to them that bettered that of Rock Ness.
I'm sure The Strokes would be fine at about third from the top on main stage. Headliner ? No.

Anyway like I said before Eminem is a novelty act that wore off quickly.

It didn't wear off though. He continued to sell millions of records all over the world.

no one cared when he 'retired' and no one cared when he made a comeback.

Two lies.

You seem to be just making up s*** here.

: )

I'm sure The Strokes would be fine at about third from the top on main stage. Headliner ? No.

I've seen The Strokes headline two festivals, T in the Park, and Benicassim. At Benicassim in particular they were absolutely incredible - the highlight of most people's weekend, going by the general reaction of people around the camp site.

As for The White Stripes - it would make a real statement to bag their first comeback set. There's no doubt in my mind that they would be excellent headliners.

EDIT TO ADD: Even at TITP, The Strokes had big shoes to fill, following from the Pixies - and they were more than up to it.

It didn't wear off though. He continued to sell millions of records all over the world.

Two lies.

You seem to be just making up s*** here.

The Strokes are easily a headliner for T in the Park or any other festival for that matter.

Seriously, no real music fan cares about Eminem. It doesnt matter that he sells millions of records. Susan Boyle does as well. He was a novelty pop act that isn't or never has been relevant to any music scene - even rap.

The Strokes are easily a headliner for T in the Park or any other festival for that matter.

No they aren't, which is why the last time they played T, they were third from the top on the bill.

They might be big enough for the smaller festivals, but the interest in them has dwindled in them since "Is This It".

Seriously, no real music fan cares about Eminem. It doesnt matter that he sells millions of records. Susan Boyle does as well. He was a novelty pop act that isn't or never has been relevant to any music scene - even rap.

The fact that you have decided to come out with "real music fan" means my discussion with you is done.

: )

No they aren't, which is why the last time they played T, they were third from the top on the bill.

They might be big enough for the smaller festivals, but the interest in them has dwindled in them since "Is This It".

The fact that you have decided to come out with "real music fan" means my discussion with you is done.

Well, they're headlining the Isle of Wight festival, which I'd think is one of the major UK festivals.

They are ? Fair enough. See how that one goes then. Maybe the time away has raised their status a bit.

The thing about The Strokes is, much like Oasis, they're live appeal hasn't really dwindled, even if the quality of their records has (FWIW, I'm a big fan of all three of their records). I think the combination of their live performances - as I said, Benicassim was just brilliant - and the sheer impact of that first album, is (again, like Oasis) enough to ensure the major gigs are there for them.

The more I look at that line-up, the worse it is, and the more it seems that T In the Park has abandoned any ideas of anything other than making money. I don't know if the listing on the TITP website is in any telling order other than the 3 headlines, but it's rather alarming that the most prominent names are Black Eyed Peas, the Prodigy, Jay Z and the Stereophonics.

It's obvious T has been going for the simple, easy and most likely cheap option for the last few years, all the way through the bill. The prices have been shooting up dramatically - I may be wrong, but I think it may have doubled the last 5 or 6 years - with no improvements in...well, anything. There's no entertainment of note in the campsite, the facilities in the arena haven't been improved to reflect the ever-growing capacity, resulting in every other band filling the tents early in the afternoon. It's no good that you need to be at a tent a good while in advance every time you want to see someone, surely they could at least have retractable sides.

Not only that, but T is a festival that has built it's name on guitar bands, and with the likes of the Killers headlining twice in three years, you would have expected them to have pulled something out the bag this year to try and re-claim it's place as a top festival. Can you really do that with Eminem, Kasabian and the Stereophonics?

Also, it's obvious that there's been an increasing amount of idiots every year. Glastonbury apparently went for Jay Z to try and attract a "younger" audience, which T seem to have ignored and just copied their idea by getting him and Eminem. The trouble with that is the difference in the audience each festival had, and what they want. Are Eminem, Jay-Z and Kasabian going to help cut down on the clowns that want to cause trouble? Well, no, and that's not just because I can't be doing with any of them, I wouldn't fancy Oasis at T for the same reasons.

Still though, I'm sure there's people who'll still be think a whole bunch of mid-table bands who've mostly all played the festival at least once in the last two or years is a "great" or "like, totally awesome" return for £200. Seeing as other festivals seem to be able to deliver a much higher calibre of artist for the same price or lower though, it's hard not to think TITP is anything other than a total rip-off.

I suppose I might end up there if our vague plans of going to Rock Werchter fall through and there's a big group, but I'd really rather not.

Edit: With regards to the value for money and lack of improvement bit, the quite excellent Pet Sounds tent also made way last year for...another Futures Stage filled with all manner of bands who'd be lucky to fill King Tuts Wah Wah Hut. Bit of a sharp decline from the likes of Brian Wilson there, eh?

wooft......this threads a bit mental!

ive been going to T for maybe 7,8 years in a row now and i've never taken the "lineup announcement" at first seriously.theres still an insane amount of acts to be added...unless you just care about headliners really

i've never bought an eminem cd but i think he is a massive act with some decent tunes.should T be dedicated to having a big "indie" headliner every year?how many big indie acts are there right now that could do it/you would like to do it?

ive never bought a Jay Z cd also but i seen him at Coldplay and i really enjoyed his set. his band are pretty talented also.infact..out of the 3 headliners id say Kasabian are maybe least deserving of the lot.fair enough they are hard working and a decent band but the term "headliner" seems to get handed out too easy these days

in terms of value for money i do agree..its alot to pay......but what is value for money exactly?i grudge paying a fiver into a club! if you did add up 10 acts you wanted to see though im sure the price to see them individually would tally up.and i dont think anyone has ever walked away from a weekend at T and said "that was pish". i think i seen no more than 5 bands last year and it was my favourite T yet!!

r.e the pop acts.....i think they are great fun! it adds something different.i watched lady gaga last year which was a good laugh..and think i watched black eyed peas a few years ago.the slam tent is looking great so far also....richie hawtin..erol alkan...fake blood

"no entertainment of note in the campsite" - not sure what you are looking for in the campsite? last year they had the campsite bar tent with dj's, the silent disco, the BOOM BUS and the red bull arena with dj's playing off a world war 2 truck!i went to the latter on the fri and sat and it was amazing

out of interest.......who exactly would you want on the bill eanie?realistic of course....

"no entertainment of note in the campsite" - not sure what you are looking for in the campsite? last year they had the campsite bar tent with dj's, the silent disco, the BOOM BUS and the red bull arena with dj's playing off a world war 2 truck!i went to the latter on the fri and sat and it was amazing

out of interest.......who exactly would you want on the bill eanie?realistic of course....

All the camp-site stuff shuts up shop early though, so depending on where you're camping it's hardly worth the hassle by the time you wander back to your tent from the arena then wander back to wherever it is. The Duracell tent was braw though :)

I dunno who I'd want to see, really, and it depends if you mean my ideal line-up or just in general for the festival. I think it'd be good if they were to look at guys such as John Fogerty, Ray Davies and Morrissey for the tents, for example, as opposed to a handful of current bands having their 5 minutes of fame. Also, a couple of older pop bands like the Human League or some such would be a good alternative across the weekend, or maybe even a few heavy metal types somewhere.

As far as head-lines go, I think it would be good to try and get a couple of older super-star acts, perhaps Springsteen (who I don't much like, and wouldn't go out of my way to see), Young or Dylan, to try and pitch the festival at a slightly different audience rather than trying to be the jack of all trades and the master of none (cheers, Jackie :) ). I reckon if you're just slinging on anything thats on the current MTV playlists, then you're festivals going to stagnate for long spells until some kind of Oasis/Strokes-Libertines type change comes along, and it's hard to see another one of these in the near future.

I just don't think TITP provides very much at all in the way of variety, across days or over the years. They've done nothing to merit firing the prices up every year, when there's other festivals that put on a better mix for the same or less.

AWMSC

All the camp-site stuff shuts up shop early though, so depending on where you're camping it's hardly worth the hassle by the time you wander back to your tent from the arena then wander back to wherever it is. The Duracell tent was braw though :)

I dunno who I'd want to see, really, and it depends if you mean my ideal line-up or just in general for the festival. I think it'd be good if they were to look at guys such as John Fogerty, Ray Davies and Morrissey for the tents, for example, as opposed to a handful of current bands having their 5 minutes of fame. Also, a couple of older pop bands like the Human League or some such would be a good alternative across the weekend, or maybe even a few heavy metal types somewhere.

As far as head-lines go, I think it would be good to try and get a couple of older super-star acts, perhaps Springsteen (who I don't much like, and wouldn't go out of my way to see), Young or Dylan, to try and pitch the festival at a slightly different audience rather than trying to be the jack of all trades and the master of none (cheers, Jackie :) ). I reckon if you're just slinging on anything thats on the current MTV playlists, then you're festivals going to stagnate for long spells until some kind of Oasis/Strokes-Libertines type change comes along, and it's hard to see another one of these in the near future.

I just don't think TITP provides very much at all in the way of variety, across days or over the years. They've done nothing to merit firing the prices up every year, when there's other festivals that put on a better mix for the same or less.

2am is when most of the dj tents shuts down on the campsite.....would be better longer...not sure why not

yeah i think some of those bigger acts would be great though maybe Springsteen is just a bit out of T's league. he doesnt really do festivals and Glasto was prob a one off.and his hyde park festival i suppose

i would love to see John Fogerty play..would be a great booking.Pet Shop Boys were great last year...i'd like to see something like Depeche Mode (unless ive missed them before?)

alot of these acts wont get mentioned for a while though...im sure Brian Wilson was a late addition when he played

im not sure how they could change it really.its obviously a successful formula.in all honesty the other festivals arent that cheaper either...think rockness is 160 quid?reading/leeds/glasto will all be pricey too

In short, the people who are moaning about T in the Park are people who love their indie music and not much else, I include myself in this. T in the park should still be a guitar based festival that forgets the rest. The people who aren't moaning are the people with a much broader taste in music.

I do find it funny watching the amount of people rejoicing on tweet in the park proclaiming it to be the best festival line-up ever. I'm just going to assume that they are either 16 and they've never been to a music event before.

The acts I would go see are:

Broken Social Scene

Empire of the Sun

Florence & The Machine (at a push because I've seen her three time now but still incredible)

Kasabian (bit hesistant of being surrounded by wankers as they are on main stage)

Stereophonics

The Cribs

The Coral

The Courteeners

The Temper Trap

Vampire Weekend

Actually, after going through that list I'm surprised I got so many. However, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to fit them all in quite comfortably compared to other years when you had to make tough decisions.

personally i think its a great line up, any of muse, the phonics or kasabian couldve been sat night headlienrs.

iv seen eminem live, he is a great act.

iv highlighted florence because quite simply i just dont see it with her, dont think her voice or her music is that special

We are not home and dry, we could not even be said to be home and vigorously towelling ourselves off!

personally i think its a great line up, any of muse, the phonics or kasabian couldve been sat night headlienrs.

iv highlighted florence because quite simply i just dont see it with her, dont think her voice or her music is that special

I think she has the best voice in the charts right now...... i dont usually like that kind of music but she does have some voice.

1379248855-xxSCO%20STINSONxx.png

wooft......this threads a bit mental!

ive been going to T for maybe 7,8 years in a row now and i've never taken the "lineup announcement" at first seriously.theres still an insane amount of acts to be added...unless you just care about headliners really

i've never bought an eminem cd but i think he is a massive act with some decent tunes.should T be dedicated to having a big "indie" headliner every year?how many big indie acts are there right now that could do it/you would like to do it?

ive never bought a Jay Z cd also but i seen him at Coldplay and i really enjoyed his set. his band are pretty talented also.infact..out of the 3 headliners id say Kasabian are maybe least deserving of the lot.fair enough they are hard working and a decent band but the term "headliner" seems to get handed out too easy these days

in terms of value for money i do agree..its alot to pay......but what is value for money exactly?i grudge paying a fiver into a club! if you did add up 10 acts you wanted to see though im sure the price to see them individually would tally up.and i dont think anyone has ever walked away from a weekend at T and said "that was pish". i think i seen no more than 5 bands last year and it was my favourite T yet!!

r.e the pop acts.....i think they are great fun! it adds something different.i watched lady gaga last year which was a good laugh..and think i watched black eyed peas a few years ago.the slam tent is looking great so far also....richie hawtin..erol alkan...fake blood

Good post mate. I also had the best T yet last year. ****ing brilliant, and I've been going since the 1st one, on and off- missed a few but you get the point.

I've seen The Strokes headline two festivals, T in the Park, and Benicassim. At Benicassim in particular they were absolutely incredible - the highlight of most people's weekend, going by the general reaction of people around the camp site.

As for The White Stripes - it would make a real statement to bag their first comeback set. There's no doubt in my mind that they would be excellent headliners.

EDIT TO ADD: Even at TITP, The Strokes had big shoes to fill, following from the Pixies - and they were more than up to it.

I must admit The Strokes were excellent the time I saw them in '06, supporting The Who. Really energetic, entertaining set and another one that left me with no regrets about missing the World Cup Final! And you might just find they'll be back at T when they actually have some new material released, Rock Ness is kind of a lower key festival isn't it?

Arcade Fire are doing an arena tour this winter for their new album so I'd expect to see them in 2011, same with Coldplay, possibly Radiohead as their new album is due later this year.

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

2am is when most of the dj tents shuts down on the campsite.....would be better longer...not sure why not

yeah i think some of those bigger acts would be great though maybe Springsteen is just a bit out of T's league. he doesnt really do festivals and Glasto was prob a one off.and his hyde park festival i suppose

i would love to see John Fogerty play..would be a great booking.Pet Shop Boys were great last year...i'd like to see something like Depeche Mode (unless ive missed them before?)

alot of these acts wont get mentioned for a while though...im sure Brian Wilson was a late addition when he played

im not sure how they could change it really.its obviously a successful formula.in all honesty the other festivals arent that cheaper either...think rockness is 160 quid?reading/leeds/glasto will all be pricey too

I thought it was all finished at 1? Fair enough, but it'd be good if there was something in the way of live entertainment going on, be it music, comedy or karaoke.

I don't think it would take too much to change it, all they have to do is to just look at a few different things - there is far, far more to music than whatever is big now. I like the way Glastonbury has the "Heritage" slot, is there any reason T couldn't have more people in that vein instead of repeating itself every year? Scotland only has one major festival (although I suppose Rock Ness is aiming that way), so I think T should be able, and expected, to offer up more than whatever is popular at the time. Should it be able to match other festivals man for man? I dunno if they could, or even should, but they have had major acts like The Who, RHCP and RATM, so they can do it if they put their mind to it.

I don't really see how anyone can say TitP is anything other than predictable and repetitive, it's like the Word Up back room as far as festivals go....if some of the folks on here are old enough to go to clubs...

Depeche Mode would have been amazing, not a big fan but they seem to be one of these bands that you couldn't miss. I've been looking at Rock Werchter where they have Rammstein playing, would quite like to see them. Do the majority of headliners over the last few years have that kind of curiosity factor? Not really, we've all heard Mr Brightside, Sex on Fire and Club Foot often enough.

I do agree with you about the Slam Tent though, it looks pretty excellent yet again and although I've never spent as much time as I'd like to in there because there's usually been a handful of bands I've wanted to see, if I end up going this year it'd be a really good opportunity to hang about between there and the T-Break/Futures stage :)

Well, there you go. The idea of the Stereophonics, a band that's surely in decline, being one of the three big names at a festival where they played second fiddle to Arctic Monkeys three years ago is just no good.

As for Kasabian, I went to see Muse in Dublin less than two years ago when they were supported by Kasabian and it was well less than full until half an hour before Muse came on: a support slot is about Kasabian's place, they're not a closer when bands like the Strokes (who I can take or leave, but they're a huge band) could and should have been available to a festival of T's stature.

AWMSC

Archived