Greenock Celtic - Page 4 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Greenock Celtic

rawheed rex

Greenock and Clydebank had an ivasion of Irish workers many years ago which could account for the large number of Celtic fans. I used to work in Clydebank and would unfortunately class Clydebank and Greenock as Celtic towns. I would class Gourock as a Morton town, just edging Rangers.

Invasion is a pretty unfortunate choice of word there, like?

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying that, nor am I implying it. Often support of a football team runs in the family, that isn't a bad thing, but when people assume because you live somewhere that you automatically support one of the Old Firm, it can be a tad annoying. What actually is a little insulting, is when folk ask you what team you really support when you say Morton or another non-OF team!

My passion for supporting Morton came from my dad, and I respect that similarly, a love of a Club, can be passed down in Rangers or Celtic supporting families. I wasn't implying people who support the OF are vacuous and supporting the team for a non-footballing reason.

but when people assume because you live somewhere that you automatically support one of the Old Firm, it can be a tad annoying.

Gidday Mortonbug,

Try spending time overseas, mate.

Many times on hearing my Scots accent, locals ask me which of the Old Scum I support.

I've been asked in:

Mexico

California

New Zealand

Fiji

Hong Kong

Manila

Dublin

People must think that there are only 2 clubs in the SPhell.

When i was brought up in the Gibby before that there used to be hordes of fans heading down the road to watch Morton, me being one of them.

Me too mate.

As for the Port it seems their are more Sceptic fans maybe due to 2 pubs running a bus (Donaghies and the Star )from the town centre and perhaps Sceptics dominance in the last few years.

Either way there is always trouble between the old scum fans on derby day in the Port.

As for the Irish immigrants , ask anyone from the last 2 or 3 generations and I will stick my neck out for decapitation if neccessary but you will find the attendance of Catholic or Protestant schools dictating a bias for a particular old scum team.. Perhaps I am wrong but it is what I have witnessed.

This Irish/Britannia crap seems to be a secondary thought after choosing your team on Protestant/Catholic upbringing. Then they will be be indulged with the appropriate propaganda with accompanying songs to sing.

“The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.â€

― Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

Guest Ghost
Me too mate.

As for the Port it seems their are more Sceptic fans maybe due to 2 pubs running a bus (Donaghies and the Star )from the town centre and perhaps Sceptics dominance in the last few years.

Either way there is always trouble between the old scum fans on derby day in the Port.

As for the Irish immigrants , ask anyone from the last 2 or 3 generations and I will stick my neck out for decapitation if neccessary but you will find the attendance of Catholic or Protestant schools dictating a bias for a particular old scum team.. Perhaps I am wrong but it is what I have witnessed.

This Irish/Britannia crap seems to be a secondary thought after choosing your team on Protestant/Catholic upbringing. Then they will be be indulged with the appropriate propaganda with accompanying songs to sing.

That basically sums it up.

Good post marx

p.s. Not wise to be in the Port town after an OF game especially at night.

Me too mate.

How many times do people need to be told - THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!!!!!! at least in this area there isn't :angry:

Gourock_Ton, I really don't think that Gourock is more Morton than Rangers. Could be wrong I suppose but to me it's always been a Rangers place, with Greenock and particularly the Port being Celtic towns.

ryu-blackhadou.gif

jSuper_Street_Fighter_II_Turbo.png

An internet fud is still a fud.

Guest David Edwards
Whenever I'm feeling a bit misty-eyed and maudlin thinking about dear old Scotia and how much I miss her, I come to rely on threads like this to bring me back to my senses.

Cheers guys. :)

Another emigre patriot eh? Just like Shir Shawn? :D

Me too mate.

What's a Protestant school :unsure: ?

I didn't know they existed in this part of the world.

What's a Protestant school :unsure: ?

I didn't know they existed in this part of the world.

They don't but as far as I'm aware a lot of "non-denominational" schools have prayer services which are essentially Church of Scotland in nature and some of the schools have close traditional links with local kirks, some even have chaplains.

They're not really "Protestant" schools, but then again, a lot of Catholic schools are Catholic in name only as well these days.

riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

They don't but as far as I'm aware a lot of "non-denominational" schools have prayer services which are essentially Church of Scotland in nature and some of the schools have close traditional links with local kirks, some even have chaplains.

They're not really "Protestant" schools, but then again, a lot of Catholic schools are Catholic in name only as well these days.

Yes, but only one of the above types operate a sectarian recruitment policy.

Yes, but only one of the above types operate a sectarian recruitment policy.

I take it you are referring to the fact Catholic schools only offer certain positions to Catholic teachers?

To be honest I'm undecided on this and I can see it from both sides. I can see how some people would find that a sectarian recruitment policy, I won't lie.

I'm a Catholic and I believe in Catholic schooling but I'm not sure I would necessarily send my child to a Catholic School, would depend on the area. If I live in Inverclyde when I have children I would choose St Columbas Kilmacolm, and if I couldn't afford that probably Gourock High.

The problem I have with non-denominational schools is the sex education, I don't believe it has a place in the curriculum - but I'm not naive enough to think it isn't slowly creeping its way into Catholic schools as well.

As far as schooling goes I think I'd rather see a return to the Grammar/Comprehensive system.

riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Gourock_Ton, I really don't think that Gourock is more Morton than Rangers. Could be wrong I suppose but to me it's always been a Rangers place, with Greenock and particularly the Port being Celtic towns.

Aye, on reflection I agree with you.....probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I think in this day and age religion, if you choose to teach your children that way, should be taught at home or weekends.

I respect your opinion but just out of interest, what does this "day and age" have to do with anything?

I respect your opinion but just out of interest, what does this "day and age" have to do with anything?

I think teaching religion in schools has "had it's day", plenty of other things can be taught that helps children get on in life nowadays. Spoken as a parent.

That's just my opinion.

Archived