Chin Up Lads! - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Chin Up Lads!

LargsTON

The substitutions today were baffling to say the least.

Walker and Templeman were debatably our two top performers yet were both hooked.

It should have been Lilley who went off first as he was the only player who was well under par imo.

I'm assuming that Alex maybe wasn't quite 100% though?

Just to add, Walker looks like turning out to be a fantastic signing - a very complete player.

Not too disheartened today - loads of effort, some nice football and about 70% possession. Gretna peformed a classic smash and grab act.

Just one of those days and strangely i'm not too disheartened tonight as i normally am after a defeat.

MON THE TON!! biggrin.gif

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Agree with you beaver, if they had created plenty of chances and dominated us in terms of possession, id be worrying, but in all honestly, they were pish! Not that we are a one man team but with andy today, we would be sittin with 3 points IMO! Walker does look quality aswell.

Cant beleive people. gretna fans, rave about the doc,once again does f*** all yet gets a tap in.

Move on lads,3 points next week and back on track!

but in all honestly, they were pish!

Cant beleive people. gretna fans, rave about the doc,once again does f*** all yet gets a tap in.

30847[/snapback]

Gretna are, imo, the best team in this division.

They knocked the ball about better than us today, closed players down quicker etc. They basically looked more up for it than us.

I don't think Andy would have made much difference today. Gretna still would have scored both goals, he would have gave us more options going forward but even at that, the Gretna defence looked solid.

On your second point, about Deucher.

To be honest, I think he is a great player. Wins a lot in the air, has good touches and always chips in with his fair share of goals which he proved last season and with East Fife.

I'd gladly have him at Cappielow.

I know this sounds daft, but I don't think that McInally could sub Lilley even if he wanted to this afternoon. Admittedly he was surprisingly poor today, but strikers confidences are so fragile that if he did sub him, I think it could affect his future performances. Lilley's a class act who had a bad day. I suppose he's a wee bit like our Alan Shearer - as soon as we start subbing him we undermine him, even if occasionally it might seem like the right thing to do.

On your second point, about Deucher.

To be honest, I think he is a great player. Wins a lot in the air, has good touches and always chips in with his fair share of goals which he proved last season and with East Fife.

I'd gladly have him at Cappielow.

30849[/snapback]

I may be looking at it through Anvil tinted specs but the Doc holds up the ball brilliantly and won nearly every ball that was played to him in the air which gives Bingo and Grady a chance to get in position. Granted his goal today was a tap in but he had to be there in the first place

I know this sounds daft, but I don't think that McInally could sub Lilley even if he wanted to this afternoon. Admittedly he was surprisingly poor today, but strikers confidences are so fragile that if he did sub him, I think it could affect his future performances. Lilley's a class act who had a bad day. I suppose he's a wee bit like our Alan Shearer - as soon as we start subbing him we undermine him, even if occasionally it might seem like the right thing to do.

30900[/snapback]

You mention being subbed could affect a strikers confidence.

Is big Templeman not a striker? Will his confidence be affected after being subbed?

Let's get it right 1st time in League 1.No excuses.

Not taking Lilley off was a decision to go to 3 up front. McInally decided to go for it - may as well get stuck in and lose 2-0 than struggle at 1-0 down.

AT

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

How can it be said that McLaren wouldnt have made a difference today?

What a load of s***e ! How often does he get to the by line and get in an excellent cross, or go by peple and play a 1 - 2 with the likes of Lilley. Exactly the sort of player we lacked yesterday !

Gretna didnt look very good but done the job they wanted to do so hats off to them.

We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

"but strikers confidences are so fragile that if he did sub him, I think it could affect his future performances. Lilley's a class act who had a bad day. "

come on!! after an hour or so every week templeman gets subbed if he hasnt done anything of note, and even yesterday when he was trying so hard with little reward he got the hook! lilley had an absolute shocker and hardly seemed but stayed on whilst temps tried his heart out yet was the striker to get subbed! talk about draining a guys confidence whilst potentially giving another guy an ego along the lines of "im too good to get subbed"! not that i think lilley is that type of guy but decisions like that could lead to unrest in the dressing room.

whilst im on i thought the sunday mail was harsh on gretna, for all the ball we had we never once got through them. they scored early, sat back and hit us on the counter attack which was tactically spot on given their solidity at the back and talent going forward. we could have played all day with scoring and i think gretna deserved their win. long way to go though

lilley got absolutely no service, none of the strikers did. we lacked the guile and creativity that mclaren has that can unlock defences. too many times it was long hopeful punts - which is why townsley had a good game. i mean seriously, its a bad day when that numpty is the best player on the park

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

30847[/snapback]

Deuchar ran our defence ragged today. It wasn't in a totally obvious way but he used his strength to bully our back 3. None of whom are wee guys. I'd bet if you asked our defence who their hardest opponent to date has been they would all say Deuchar. He scored, you can't argue with that.

I'm pretty sure Templeman was subbed because he was injured.

Deuchar ran our defence ragged today. It wasn't in a totally obvious way but he used his strength to bully our back 3. None of whom are wee guys. I'd bet if you asked our defence who their hardest opponent to date has been they would all say Deuchar. He scored, you can't argue with that.

I'm pretty sure Templeman was subbed because he was injured.

31330[/snapback]

A quick sense check, if I may. I would not necessarily disagree with anything said re: Deuchar on this board. I have to say, however, that I was not so impressed with Gretna today. If that is the best they'll offer then I'm not sure we should be too concerned. We shipped two sloppy goals, the result of very poor defending. So far this season, I can't say that this is the norm, so perhaps we could write-it off as a poor day at the office.

Morton were disappointing in terms of the last third, no linking between midfield and attack, and where Jim started brightly, he seemed to fade a bit in the second.

I thought Templeman was one of our most effective players today - very keen on trying to play a bit with little help or support from Lilley (who had a howler), Miller (whose form worries me slightly) and Finlayson (poor game). We did miss McLaren and the extra dimension he seems to give us in the last third, and I hope he was suitably embarrassed at having to watch this game from the stands. However, that's been talked to death on here, so we'll leave it at that. mad.gif

As mentioned above, I'm not too concerned about Gretna if that's their best. As for Alexander, I don't know why he feels it necessary to comment on things that have nothing to do with him. I don't know what the players thought about him when he was at Cappielow, but he certainly appears very one dimensional as a manager. The comparison with wee Tam Hendrie is entirely appropriate. Why don't we just let him spilt his dummy out and get it right up them at the end of next month? laugh.gif

A wee tonic against Sitrling on Wednesday night would surely work wonders?!

agree with edinton - i made a point on another thread that townsley is there for the taking if u lay off the long balls (which our whole team seems incapable of doing, why do we never get the ball and pass from the back?). whilst there is probably nobody to match him for height and strength in this league i reckon he's not up to much if u keep it on the deck.

always been impressed by the fact that deuchar can do pretty much nothing but still pop up at the right time to score, might have been a tap in but he still had to be there to do the business. similar player to john hartson in that he gives defenders a rough time and is always there or thereabouts for a goal

agreed that rowan alexander seems to be a complete twat. had his name on my red tartan shirt and he was my second fav player (rajamaki wins that one hands down) but his interviews dont give a good impression of the guy

I think Deuchar played excellent and i've always rated him since his East Fife days, he's big and strong, excellent in the air, holds up the ball brilliantly and is showing signs of becoming the best poacher in the bottom 3 divisions, his goal against us showed that, right place at the right time.

I think we badly missed McLaren, a driving force in midfield who links the team brilliantly, we never had that

Alexanders comments - i welcome them, it will spur us on for the next game and the next time we play them especially!! bring on more comments Ro!

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind.

Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Archived