Morton 2 Raith Rovers 0 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton 2 Raith Rovers 0

TRVMP

A couple of shaky defensive moments in the first half, but other than that, a solid performance in which Morton were well worthy of the win. That's not to say Raith didn't have their chances, but they seldom looked like taking them.

Sponsor's MoM was Weatherson, who bagged the first goal.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McLaren was a class act again

Baggy Basement, The Last Friday of Every Month ONLY @ Cleats basement.

Next Baggy Basement - Friday 26th January 9pm - 1am!!!!

Inverclyde's ONLY Friday night, Indie Orientated event!

Need a mention on Tannoy? Contact me on gmfctannoy@hotmail.co.uk

The defence did in deed look shaky at times, Harding on numerous occasions almost making costly mistakes. If I'm honest though the match wasn't that great with noone putting in a performance which particularly stood out (other than Peter).

As for Templeman, he had his moments, a few decent headers but nothing outstanding. The same could be said for all the strikers.

A very "meh" game compared to last week.

IMO Big Temps played better than last week and better than he did last season , all he needs is a goal and a bit of encouragement from the fans, he is after all a ton player and IMO there is to many fans quick to jump on his back any chance they get.

McLaren was good today and Miller and Walker looked more solid in the middle of the park.

The referee was a total joke, i have never witnessed so many wrong decisions by a ref in a game, they should have subbed him at half time, at 1 point the guy in front of me shouted to the linesman "Where did u get him from" after a Ton player won the ball in a 50/50 and he gave a free kick to them.The linesman just shrugged his shoulders and gave a wee smile as if to agree, so at least he hadnt forgotten his contact lenses

All in all a good win and start to the season

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Live Sports - MyP2P

Check the Forum for Baseball Listings as MLB is no longer aloud on Sopcast

Weatherson MoM, although McAllistair was unlucky not to get it.

McGurn not seriously bothered by Raith.

Weatherson's bullet goal was unstoppable. McLaren's goal was a beautiful chip over the keeper.

Good performances from Alex Walker,McAllistair,Weatherson,Finlayson and Greacen.But all players stuck to their task.

Not a classic game but three points.Job done.

Raith are in for a long season,but fulltime football should see them into the top 4 at the end of season.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

very good start of the season, I think this year we've a very strong team! promotion isn't a dream! C'mon the ton

MORTON ARE MAGIC

Us Sanremese Calcio: http://www.sanremesecalcio.it

Italian british football forum: http://britishfootball.mondoweb.net/index.php

Subbuteo Club Saracens Sanremo: http://scsaracenssanremo.splinder.com

milanopa4gq5.jpg

Peter's goal was brilliant. The way him and Andy worked it from the free-kick was good vision by them. Andy's goal was sublime.

Nother really concerning today, thought we looked more dangerous with Jason on. Some real good passes being played around the pitch aswell.

seor-gif-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

Weatherson MoM, although McAllistair was unlucky not to get it.

McGurn not seriously bothered by Raith.

Weatherson's bullet goal was unstoppable. McLaren's goal was a beautiful chip over the keeper.

Good performances from Alex Walker,McAllistair,Weatherson,Finlayson and Greacen.But all players stuck to their task.

Not a classic game but three points.Job done.

Raith are in for a long season,but fulltime football should see them into the top 4 at the end of season.

16468[/snapback]

Bang on mate, we never got out of 3rd gear and won, I thought Harding was a little nervous and Millar and Lilley have had better games but all in all we can't ask for more than 3 points today against what on paper looked a hard start to the season. We will improve a great deal as the season goes on in my opinion.

I didn't think we played particularly well today with very little fluency to the side and many passes not reaching their intended destination. I felt we were pretty sound defensively save one mistake from Harding in the first half. Finlayson and Jim "Duracell" McAlistair were fine but Walker, Millar and McLaren were quiet for large parts of the game. Up front Lilley and Templeman were okay but didn't really create chances between themselves.

We need to play more quick football on the deck if we want to win this league. Also a suggestion: Spoonsy for centre-mid. He can head, pass, tackle and shoot and would surely do well in there. We have ample cover in McGregor and Keenan too.

Just a quick congratulations to the fan(s) (There may have been more than one, but surely there aren't that many tossers in Scotland?!) who were first to jeer Templeman's every touch from kick-off. A big "well done" as it took a lot of guts to do that especially considering it was only the first league game of the season!

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Rubbish game bar the goals, too many long balls

16474[/snapback]

I think we'll see a lot more games like this as the season goes on.

The thing is, while the long ball did work for us, with guys like Finlayson and Walker (who wasn't perfect but was looking better today) in midfield we can take control of the game from the middle when we need to.

EOho8Pw.png

A pretty poor game today with too many wasted high balls. Harding looked a little shaky but Greacen and Weatherson were solid, I thought Alex Walker improved a little bit in the second half although we definitely need a little more from him and Chris in midfield (although the high balls don't help). We scored two good goals but I'm not sure if we created another clear cut effort in the match. Overall, pretty happy with the three points (and with guessing the score right!) but am certainly not getting carried away with the performance.

Rubbish game bar the goals, too many long balls

16474[/snapback]

Agree with Bryan the game was pretty crap on the whole, thought we were poor in the first half, stood off too much on raith when they were at the edge of the area giving them a few unneccesary chances. Didnt create as much as last week, just the long ball up from McGurn when we CAN actually play FOOTBALL, was slightly disappointing. Also Templeman still not being used as he should with balls direct to his feet.

I thought that although the park looked fantastic the grass seemed too long - on a number of occassion the players were trying to turn/dribble with the ball and it was getting caught under their feet.

We seemed to have abandoned the passing football that worked so well in pre-season in favour of a 1st option of lumping the ball forward - infact on a couple of occasions today the ball was knocked forward and their wasn't a Ton player within 20 yards of the area it was played into.

Obviously a win is a win and I guess we have 3 points on the board would have been nice to do it in style though as you got the impression if we did play football it would be too much for Raith.

Jim was my MOM, Peter had a good game and Walker showed up in spell - rest had ok game without really excelling. Mclaren tried but wasn't getting the service he would like (same could be said for Finlayson) .

IPB Image

i thought we played ok we didn't really break sweat after the goal.we passed raith off the park at times but we didn't really create anything in front of goal,which is a bit worrying.we need to have more of a killer touch.all in all a pretty easy win two cracking goals.raith were'nt all that good.well done the ton

Not a classic, but happy with the points.

We looked fine until Bambi went off, then we became slightly p!sh and let Rovers have a lot of possession (which they made nothing of, thankfully).

McLaren was my MotM, with Jim a close 2nd. Peter put in an excellent shift in defence again and big Greacen had one of his best games for a long time.

Two good goals, though.

Rovers? Lots of long balls and punts up the park, reminded me of East Fife but without Deuchar. What little they made came more from our own mistakes (or the referees - what a diddy he was). Sadly, we got sucked in and started playing long balls too (ironic that a long through ball led to our 2nd goal).

Funniest moment was the Raith number 3 catching the ball for his team's throw-in, then realising he was still about 5 yards in play. laugh.gif

At least he laughed about it.

AT

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived